Goodies from Japan - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Goodies from Japan

Made it back from our trip safe and sound this morning, touching down at 9:30 am...then had to go to work and teach a night class (not really what i felt like doing after 11 hours in a plane).

Anyhoo, the major acquisition was a RG8527VV...my first JC, and first 7 string. The flame has some real character. There were others with more well-defined and symmetrical figuring, but this one had some personality and was priced right. Plays and sounds great...even with the stock pups. A couple cool little features that I have not seen on Prestige models: angled jack and slightly recessed knobs. It was also a treat to get the little folder and certificate. I bought a non-Ibanez hardcase for the trip, but it came with an Ibanez gig bag...really nice (padding is about 1" thick).

Also picked up something I've wanted for a while...a slightly used plain jane CIJ 62 reissue strat (w/TX specials). The only problem on buying in Japan was that the exchange rate has been consistenly getting worse for the USD against the Yen...still worked out OK.

Pics here: http://photos.yahoo.com/gkelm

Now to figure out what to do with that extra string.
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 02:58 AM

Gkelm, that 8527VV is UNREAL!! I bought ishibashi's last 2027X last month and now I might end up giving it to brother to get the 8527. Hey he needs a piezo guitar and I need a guitar that has full fretboard inlays. Have you ever played the RG7CT? I loved the way that guitar played and sonded and I would imagine that the 8527 would play the same or at least very similar. By the way thanks for the pics of the RGPR3.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 06:08 AM

Hey Greg Is that actually a RG8527 or is it a JCRG7-1? The reasons I ask are 1. the 8527 is supposed to come with a case the 7-1 did not. 2. Ibanez mostly only puts all that masterfully crafted stuff on the back of the head stock on very limited production j-customs. 3. I also thought that the certificate only came with the very limited production models.

Oh well just wondering.

On another note my 1880 came with one of those gig bags. They are rather nice, although I never use it.

And finally nice guitar man. I'm jealous.

Oh yeah thanks for all the japan pics and what was that flamed koa looking neck thuru and how much was it? if you remeber.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 08:20 AM

Beautiful!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Soloist, I've never played the RG7CT, but they seem to spec out very closely, so I'd guess as well in close playability/tone. No prob on the pics.

Gary, the certificate indicates it's an 8527 with serial number matching. I did see a few JCRG-3s and 1880s (non-current models) there, but this appears to be the 8527. I figured maybe the lower price had something to do with the lack of case?

Now that I look at the certificate more closely, it reads: "RG8527VV-B" with the "-B" part stamped on. Would that be "B" quality?? There is nothing additional stamped on the guitar. The only thing I've noticed on the guitar that might not be perfect is the binding, which could have been finished better, especially around the frets (I'm picky and it doesn't bother me at all!). Otherwise it's lovely.

I believe the koa model was 228,000 yen (about $1950 US). Handsome price for a handsome guitar.
Greg
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 02:30 PM

Nice Axe man... I'm envious.. and jealous... and hate you now... kidding

For your first 7 string you sure went all out.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 06:58 AM

What is that guitar in the "japan2" folder. Second down on the left. It is a dual HB with a dark flamed top (koa??) and white pickups. Tell me! Tell me!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

ScottM- They had three of those...supposedly a model unique to the Ishibashi shop in Ikebukuro. It's through-neck, which appeared to be rosewood with bubinga strips. Also appeared to have a maple top with thin koa veneer. Wizardish neck, darker in tone. Nice and the most expensive Ibanez I saw. I think it was the JCRG2001??
Greg
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloist
I bought ishibashi's last 2027X last month and now I might end up giving it to brother to get the 8527.
Sure, sure... Grab the last 2027 before i can get one, and then don't even KEEP the thing!!! *grr*... lol. Speaking of which, mine ought to be here in the next day or so.

-Drew
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 02:32 PM

Oh dont worry my 2027X isnt going anywhere. I was just kind of in shock mode after seeing the pics of the 8527.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 04:58 PM

Nice guitar greg! Beautiful top.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 04:57 PM

Hey Greg, I bet the B stands for bag and has nothing to do with the grade of the guitar.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterlong
Hey Greg, I bet the B stands for bag and has nothing to do with the grade of the guitar.
Hmmm, could be. Either way, it makes me smile when I look at it or play it.

Tags
angled jack , production model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode