Got a 1975 Fender Strat - pictures and minor restoration! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Got a 1975 Fender Strat - pictures and minor restoration!

Hey Jemsite!

Well earlier this year i scored myself a very nice gibson studio with flame top for slightly over 1k CAD. It was a very nice axe, but i decided to put her up for sale, but i asked a lot for her that way it would discourage low ballers and find me some great serious offers. meanwhile, i would enjoy my Gibson. Last week, a man sent me an email offering me a 1975 fender strat. I am a strat hound and my 2005 strat has displeased me in the greatests of ways lately with the frets always poking out no matter how many times i file them, so this offer was very tasty. I asked for pictures and a history. as it turns out, it had always belonged to him and his family. It first belonged to his brother who bought it in 77` from a local music store, his brother later traded it to him in exchange for his Gibson marauder. this happened in 83`. The guitar than received some modifications, to the pickguard and the body. He fitted a paf-pro on the pickguard, and it`s funny to see as i assume humbuckers had not yet been coupled with a pickguard at this level, so he stuck a pickup ring, and recessed the pick up the rings level. It`s smart, but today the outcome would be different if he thought of doing that. anyways, so i scored myself a really old paf pro too. He left me the original bridge pick up along with the volume button that he had switched for a smaller one. So when i was walking away with a huge grin on my face, i planned my after noon. I stopped by the music store to buy a new 3ply black pickguard, along with more soldering lead, than i headed home to take her apart and start cleaning. I started by completly removing the pickguard to see what mess he had done under. He did a nice shielding in the cavity, he`s a new electrician, but in the 80`s, when this guitar had no value, he completly butchered the body to fit the humbucker. At least he tried to carve along the pick up. Whatever, it`s under the guard and none of my concern really. So I took off everything, including the pararellel and series circuits he had added to it, and i soldered in the new pick up and cleaned up the old solders. Screwed it back in. Then it was time for fretboard clean up. I was gonna do only mild work as i like the fretwear, so i decided i`d go Rich style on her, and so i hocked some loogies all over the board. Sounds crazy to everyone, but it works really well, now she`s all shiny and covered of my dna. So the pickguard is an unoriginal part, along with the tuners which were also switched to schallers in the 80`s.

So why did he do this ? The answer is simple, like many of you here, his wife holds a vice grip on his balls. And he`s stupid, but we`ll just say he`s kind .

Here are the pictures!

In case you were wondering, she plays really well. Kind of makes me wonder how well the pre-cbs played, if everyone agrees that CBS era axes butchered the Fender name.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Re: Got a 1975 Fender Strat - pictures and minor restoration!

more pictures!

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 07:39 PM

That is SWEET! I love 70s strats, and I especially like the tuxedo look (at least that's tuxedo for strats anyway).

Only thing imo that would make it better would be a vintage 6-screw tremolo, but that's still a sweet axe.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

I hardly ever used those tremolo`s I find the hardtail much more simple, aesthetically pleasing on the back side and tonally superior. More sustain, and it since it doesn`t shift as much, tunning is actually improved, not that the 6 screw syncro trems were tough on tuning. It`s different alright, thanks a lot
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 07:42 PM

Very nice.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:06 PM

Just sucks how the guy munched up that, and I use the term loosley, "humbucker route."

oh well you can't sew it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:09 PM

Niceness, new guitars make for a good day.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:27 PM

Reviews: 13

Sweet, she must play like heaven!
Congrats!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 11:35 PM

awsome score! I love 70's strats. The best strat I have ever played was a 79.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 05:07 AM

Nice, i always wanted one of those hardtails

Congrats on cleaning her up
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 03:09 PM

Congrats! I had the pleasure of borrowing a friend's 78 hardtail strat (walnut finish) and it was a dream. It looks a lot cleaner with the single coil in the bridge
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 03:23 PM

Nice! That brings back some good memories for me. One of my first "real" guitars was a black 76 Strat. Unfortunately I did the Jimi with it when I was about 15 & so it also became one of the first guitars I destroyed.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i did her intonation today and she sings. Man i am so happy, but part of me wants to sell her because she`s worth quite a bit and she cost me so little to get, it would be great profit, and i haven`t yet been attached to her. but then again, this is literally the first guitar i ever dream of. I wanted one like jimi, with the big headstock, maple board, preferably white, but i dreamed about how smooth that board must feel under his fingers , or nice it would be to hold something that was nearly twice as old as me

Tags
black pickguard , fender strat , local music store , music store , paf pro , pickup ring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode