got bored and changed the look of my RG - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

got bored and changed the look of my RG

i was bored yesterday and decided to use an aluminum pickguard i had originally bought for a Jem project i'm working with on my RG570. the guitar looks pretty sleek and simple to begin with but i think the mirrored aluminum guard adds a nice touch. everything else is stock. the trem looks kinda bad but i used a toothbrush to clean it up and it looks great now - of course AFTER i take the pics! it just shows a little finish rub-off or as i like to call it: character.
i was nervous putting screw holes in the top of the guitar but i figure if i ever decided to take the guard off, the holes will force me to give it a full repaint and possibly mod to a Jem.
now i just need to add some different pups...hmmmm?
before: http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?c...=1101710292246
after: http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?&...id=55226962606
scroll around to see before and after pics and a few other pics as well. enjoy!
Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 01:50 AM

This is why I love pickguards, gives the guitar such a classy look!

Regards

André

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 02:00 AM

Well, each to their own, i guess... i don't consider adding a pickguard to be an improvement to just about any guitar, but especially not to one that's rear-routed.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 02:17 AM

Aren't JEMs rear-routed? Almost sounds obscene.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

i had bought the pickguard for a Jem project (also rear routed) but because the Jem project IS rear routed, i plan to use a clear pickguard and go w/a very nice finish - if not wait to have it GMC swirled.
i know it isn't much of a mod, but i do like the look it adds and how clean it seems w/out the pup rings.
i really like this guitars' playabilty and feel and plan to add some different pups - which is a "real mod" i suppose.
all Jems have pickguards and some are rear routed w/ a clear guard but i don't think i have ever seen a Jem w/out a pickguard? i know it's a little off-topic - but has anyone seen one?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 02:50 AM

I like the pickguard. Guitars with a H/S/H combination and no pickuard always seemed a bit "off" to me...(unless they have a nice flame/quilt top)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 04:32 AM

Yeah, after looking at my 570, I do feel like it could use a pickguard.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 06:42 AM

Nope, all jems have pickguards... 7s are the normal ones, 77 are the clear ones, and 777s are the originals? i dont remember now if theres any major difference between 7s and 777s...

Anyway, great improvement on the 570, i had one, same color, and grew bored of it, if i hadnt sold it, id have probably ended up stripping the finish and getting a 550 pickguard...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

glad to hear some like the improvement as much as i do. she looked very plain before.

once the pickguard is installed, they all look the same from the front - guitar, meet pickguard - now go off and play nicely together!

i'm looking at it again hanging on my "guitar" wall this morning in my "guitar/computer room" (eventually they will have their own room when we move out of the townhouse into something bigger), and she is looking mighty fine! she would look AMAZING w/ a chrome vine inlayed. if i was to add mirrored fins on the neck, she would look like a NEW prestige RG except mine has the better (mho) trem - i like to keep the BALLS on my strings.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 09:08 AM

I really like it!

Looks a lot better in my opinion.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 11:40 AM

Good cosmetic Improvement. I always liked the look of the 550, but couldn't get away with it's pickguard routed body, and Maple Fret Board.

Adding a scratchplate to a 570 is a perfect compromise between the two.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz
i dont remember now if theres any major difference between 7s and 777s...
7s have AANJs while the 777s have original neck joint with the heel plate. That's the only physical difference of the body between 7s and 777s that i can think of off the top of my head. There are two 7s with original neck joint and those are the root beer and pbk. I've always had a wierd fetish for them just because they're so cosmetically different from the other Jems. There's a certain elegance to them, i suppose. Sorry for getting off of topic

-Bo
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 07:25 PM

Great improvement. I always thought the 570s looked way too busy with a HSH configuration AND pickup rings around the humbuckers. Great job man!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz
Anyway, great improvement on the 570, i had one, same color, and grew bored of it, if i hadnt sold it, id have probably ended up stripping the finish and getting a 550 pickguard...
Word. I never liked the look of the 570s. I just think part of the badass RG (and JEM) look comes from having that strat-esque pickguard.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 12:00 AM

I like some pickguard, I don't like others, this one I really like And I don't like pickup rings on most guitars (only time I do is on a PRS, Les Paul, or something vintage-y). Big improvement IMHO

Tags
bobbin toppers , chrome vine , chrome vine inlay , edge trem , evo bridge , fret board , gmc swirl , jem project , les paul , maple fret , maple fret board , neck joint , pickup ring , pickup rings , super wizard neck , truss cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode