Got a Caparison Horus - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:48 PM

Re: Got a Caparison Horus

Nice axe. I'd quite like a Dellinger II, it doesn't look as good as the Horus but specs wise it's much closer to what I want...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:54 PM

Reviews: 10
Question Re: Got a Caparison Horus

Nice Guitar but it looks to me that the design is a bit of a Hamer rip off!
If you don't mind me asking is this why you sold your Ibanez axes???
post #18 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Dee

That's a cool looking guitar. There are things I love (H-S pickups, single volume control, reverse headstock) and things I'm not so keen on (finish, gold hardware). It looks really well built, though.
post #19 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Actually, OLIE, I had too many guitars and that's a major part of why I sold most of them off. I've been playing Ibanez' so long that I wanted to explore different guitars. I thought of going PRS, but got distracted by Caparisons and I'm glad I did. I am extremely happy with it overall with very few complaints.

I still have quite a few Ibanez' and I think I always will have a couple around. I'm still going to sell a couple off like my J Custom and my Bad Horsie (I had 3 of them! Pointless). Great guitars, but I'm not playing them enough. I am quite surprised that the one Ibanez I've bonded with has ended up being a Jem 7VWH so that's a keeper. That's the last guitar I expected to groove with, but I love it. I have a Prestige RGT320QB and I think I might keep that one too. I usually don't like finished necks, but this one plays great (thanks to Joe Riley!).

So I've lost no love for Ibanez. Just scaling down.
post #20 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
That's a cool looking guitar. There are things I love (H-S pickups, single volume control, reverse headstock) and things I'm not so keen on (finish, gold hardware). It looks really well built, though.
Dee, apparently the gold hardware doesn't fade (the old J Custom gold hardware didn't fade either from what I've seen). You can get any Caparison without the "GO" (Gold Option) and it has black hardware instead.

It is really well built and you can tell it's a hand made instrument. I heard they make only 40 a month. I HATED the finish when I saw it in pictures, but when I saw it in person I was surprised that it looks so much better than the pictures. I wish they made it with a ebony board, but they only put that on the HGO ("Heavy Gauge Strings") Walnut model. I'm not into the down-tuning to B death metal thing.

Also, the rosewood on this guitar has a grain so tight it's exactly the same as the ebony Ibanez' I had minus the color. I think that's characteristic of Brazilian rosewood.
post #21 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Dee

That equates to about 10 guitars a week then? Wow, that's a tiny production. I am surprised.

I'd love one. Black hardware is what I'd choose, that'd be awesome.
post #22 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 05:59 PM

Reviews: 10
Question Re: Got a Caparison Horus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShred View Post
Actually, OLIE, I had too many guitars and that's a major part of why I sold most of them off. I've been playing Ibanez' so long that I wanted to explore different guitars. I thought of going PRS, but got distracted by Caparisons and I'm glad I did. I am extremely happy with it overall with very few complaints.

I still have quite a few Ibanez' and I think I always will have a couple around. I'm still going to sell a couple off like my J Custom and my Bad Horsie (I had 3 of them! Pointless). Great guitars, but I'm not playing them enough. I am quite surprised that the one Ibanez I've bonded with has ended up being a Jem 7VWH so that's a keeper. That's the last guitar I expected to groove with, but I love it. I have a Prestige RGT320QB and I think I might keep that one too. I usually don't like finished necks, but this one plays great (thanks to Joe Riley!).

So I've lost no love for Ibanez. Just scaling down.
Ok, I see. Nothing wrong with exploring in other guitar camps, personally I have a bit of everything and I would certainly like to try out a Horus, which brings me to my next question. Why did you preffer the Caparison over the PRS? Had you played one before? as far as I'm concerned those Caparison Horus are a bit hard to come by here in the states. Were you just sold solely on their reputation?
post #23 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
Ok, I see. Nothing wrong with exploring in other guitar camps, personally I have a bit of everything and I would certainly like to try out a Horus, which brings me to my next question. Why did you preffer the Caparison over the PRS? Had you played one before? as far as I'm concerned those Caparison Horus are a bit hard to come by here in the states. Were you just sold solely on their reputation?
I did play a couple of PRS' and came close to buying a couple. I'm not a big fan of the CE models and decided I'd have to get a Custom 24. If I find a Custom 24 with birds, 10 top, and a solid Indian Rosewood neck I'll buy it for the right price. They are great guitars and have no equal.

I bought the Horus because, believe it or not, it was an exact rendition of what I had always envisioned I would customize a guitar to be: H-S pickups, 27 frets, single volume knob, more floyd like tremolo, etc. Even the body was exactly like I had scrawled on paper. The second I saw it I knew I had to have it.

They are tough to find in the USA, especially since they forbade their dealers from sending to the USA. I think it was because they wouldn't be able to honor the warranty to any capacity overseas.
post #24 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 06:56 PM

By the way if you like the ebony board, you can use the HGS walnut horus with regular string for regular tuning. That's what I did with mine.. you just have to adjust the intonation....
Walnut and ebony add a bit more brightness and clarity.. I like it!
Maybe the 3rd one for you

Or an apple horn to try the more powerful PH-R bridge pickup (very EVO like)
post #25 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 07:05 PM

Yup, PH-R rocks. I have one lying around I think I might throw in my Horus just for fun. I imagine it would be pretty Applehorn-esque.
post #26 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 07:18 PM

Reviews: 120

If people are after new Caparisons B Music in Australia sell them. They cost a pretty penny though. i believe they ship overseas too.

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/caparison/
post #27 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 09:10 PM

jesus that thing sounds great
post #28 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkyHauler View Post
jesus that thing sounds great
Yeah, dude, and in that clip I was just screwing around because I just found out my still camera could take movies lol. Imagine what it'd sound like in a proper recording!

Alsoooo, in that clip I am playing STRAIGHT into my Hughes & Kettner Switchblade on a Mesa cab. The only effects are a little bit of slapback delay, very little reverb and a touch of chorus to fatten it up. Aside from that there's gonna be some reverb from the room but that's it.

There's another clip in my videos section. Next weeend I'll buy an actual video camera with decent sound and record some more.
post #29 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 10:38 PM

Wow, that sounds awesome! Exotic metal sounding (yum!). Instant GAS for a Horus now. Can you fill us in on where/how you got yours? Any difficulties on getting it?
post #30 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 11:04 PM

Caparisons are awesome, and they play and sound great. I have a feeling we'll be hearing a lot more about them soon. My TAT is a Jackson Soloist killer.

Tags
beautiful guitar , bridge pickup , caparison horus , coil split , coil splitting , death metal , ebmm petrucci , ebony board , fret access , gauge strings , heavy gauge strings , jackson soloist , kettner switchblade , mahogany body , mesa cab , neck pickup , neck scale , paul gilbert , prs mccarty , reverse headstock , rosewood neck , rusty cooley , seymour duncan , signature guitar , string skipping , toggle switch , upper fret , upper fret access , upper frets , wizard prestige , wizard prestige neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode