Got a Caparison Horus - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Got a Caparison Horus

I just flew home and had a brand new Caparison Horus waiting for me. It was the first time I had ever seen one in person, much less actually played one.

I liked it so much that I bought another one. I just haven't ever played a guitar that felt like this Caparison before.

The action was set a little too low for my taste, but it took 5 minutes to fix that. The pickups have a very Seymour Duncan sound to them and the harmonics are UNBELIEVABLE.

My complaints:

1) The tone variation between the neck and bridge is almost non-existent.

2) The tap volume knob for switching pickup positions is great, but it's only 2 position. Splitting the bridge HB is not possible.

Aside from that I just can't believe the FEEL of this guitar. The smaller scale is a GREAT idea because not all of us are 6' 3" like Yngwie or Paul Gilbert. For a just under 6' guy this guitar is perfect.

Anyways, pics coming very soon. I'm tired and it's late and I need sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 10:30 PM

Re: Got a Caparison Horus

congrats on the horus. I'd love to own one. What finish did you get it in?
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 11:03 PM

Excellent, light-weight, mahogany body guitars. Stock pickups do sound pretty good, but a little on the low-output side. Kind-of Seymour Duncan. I replaced mine, but harmonics on this are ridiculous.

Congratulations on owning a great guitar (or two, it sounds like).
post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

RG_FANMAN I got the Yellow sandstone finish. It looks a LOT better in person than it does in pictures. The inlays which I thought looked ridiculous before look GREAT in person. The pictures you see on the net of this guitar do NOT do it justice at all.

Yesterday I took it to show Rusty Cooley and he was duly impressed. Of course, he's endorsed by Dean and his signature guitar is his baby (that's another awesome guitar). He played it a bit and was able to pull off some mind-blowing arpeggios using the upper frets up to 27!!!

Unfortunately, I don't have a video camera, but I took this video of me fiddling around with it using my Canon digital still camera. Lame I know, but just wanted to put something out there real quick. Also, you'll get a kick out of the audience in this video clip lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6JpF2t7HrQ

The bridge pickup is AMAZING with unbelievable harmonics. I switch to the neck pickup for the very last lick of the clip and you'll hear that it is muddy and really lackluster. It's very blah sounding.

Enjoy I'll try and get more up soon later.

Last edited by BigShred; 08-19-2007 at 11:40 PM.
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShred View Post
For a just under 6' guy this guitar is perfect.
Just under 6'? A veritable giant! At 5'4" I suppose you can understand my reach problems then....

Nice guitar. I'm not overly partial to the headstocks, but they get great reviews.
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 03:56 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!! and welcome to the Caparison family!!!

I KNEW you would like the inlays... they look much better live, that's true....

This yellow one look really nice!! which other one did you buy?? snow cloud?

I'm happy you like it and the pickups especially... Really great sounding, very articulate and clear!

How do you like the neck??

Enjoy your new baby!!
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper777 View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!! and welcome to the Caparison family!!!

I KNEW you would like the inlays... they look much better live, that's true....

This yellow one look really nice!! which other one did you buy?? snow cloud?

I'm happy you like it and the pickups especially... Really great sounding, very articulate and clear!

How do you like the neck??

Enjoy your new baby!!
Thanks! The other one I got is the thunder cloud. Its the darker finish and it has black hardware. I'm watching the gold hardware on my Yellow Sandstone Horus very, very closely. If I see even the slightest evidence that it'll fade then I'm selling it. Old Ibanez gold hardware was pretty resilient and wouldn't fade. Newer Jem gold hardware fades after you sneeze on it. I'll be paying close attention to that.

The inlay work does look great and everyone I've showed it to in person was immediately smitten by it. Its amazing how stupid something can look in a picture and how great it can look in person. Too bad that's not the case with chicks on the net lol.

The bridge pickup is SWEET and I REALLY want to know what Duncan it was patterned after. I don't like the neck rails at all. It's very muddy sounding and inarticulate. In the video you can hear how it sounds when I switch to the neck pickup for the last lick.

The neck is my FAVORITE part! It feels so natural and comfortable. It's a brilliant design. When I do pentatonic string skipping I can just fly and can keep my hand in a totally natural position.

I am so glad you guys turned me on to this guitar! Thanks!!!!
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 09:09 AM

Please post some pics if possible! I absolutley love the Yellow Sandstone finish with gold hardware
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 09:35 AM

I've had my snow cloud with gold hardware for 3 years now and no problem with the gold on the trem...

Shaller trems are really high quality and it should be OK.. then it will depend and the acidity of your sweat... clean it after each use, you should have no problem!
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Okay, guys, here are the pics...

OOPS! Can't forget the trademark headstock!

Last edited by BigShred; 08-20-2007 at 01:57 PM.
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 02:19 PM

SO SWEEEEET!
post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 02:27 PM

O.O Badass!
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 02:37 PM

I'm thinking of getting a Horus but I'm not sure how convenient the tap volume pickup selector would be as I use the toggle switch on my guitars so much, sometimes even for just single notes. I wonder if there would be any possible ways of adding a 3 way toggle switch like on the EBMM Petrucci (dual coil split in center position) hmm...
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicus Furor View Post
I'm thinking of getting a Horus but I'm not sure how convenient the tap volume pickup selector would be as I use the toggle switch on my guitars so much, sometimes even for just single notes. I wonder if there would be any possible ways of adding a 3 way toggle switch like on the EBMM Petrucci (dual coil split in center position) hmm...
I think they make a model with a toggle switch, but not sure. Since these are made to be sold strictly in Japan (they're not supposed to be exported) our selection in the US is pretty limited.

The tap selector is weird for me simply because I'm not used to it. I think the idea was pioneered by George Lynch since his guitars from the Dokken and Lynch Mob days were like that. It doesn't seem like it'll be too difficult to get used to. You just tap and that's it. There's no pulling involved like a push-pull pot.

Just for grins I played my Jems, Prestige, J Custom and Caparison back to back. They all felt good in different ways. If I had to pick between them I'd not be able to, but I will say that the Caparison is my favorite right now.
post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 11:41 AM

kickass!

Tags
beautiful guitar , bridge pickup , caparison horus , coil split , coil splitting , death metal , ebmm petrucci , ebony board , fret access , gauge strings , heavy gauge strings , jackson soloist , kettner switchblade , mahogany body , mesa cab , neck pickup , neck scale , paul gilbert , prs mccarty , reverse headstock , rosewood neck , rusty cooley , seymour duncan , signature guitar , string skipping , toggle switch , upper fret , upper fret access , upper frets , wizard prestige , wizard prestige neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode