got my 7620 rewired a la JS series - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

got my 7620 rewired a la JS series

Man, gotta keep this quick because it'll be a busy day here at work, but i made the switch from Ibanez's special 5 switching to a js-100-esq three way with a push-pull coiltap on the tone control. Started it myself, decided halfway through that I wasn'[t qualified to finish it, and had a luthier inc ambridge finish things up for me... got it back friday night.

Single coils KILL on the low strings with a high gain amp. Phenominal presence, attack, and definition- the parallel humbucker options on the stock switching weren't bad, but the sound isn't quite the same- this is a bit warmerand more open- the notes really "snap" when you dig in.

I'd forgotten how much I love singlecoils for lead work- the neck, especially, is suprisingly "strat-y" even given the basswood body. I'm psyched, it's like a whole new guitar. Besides, it's just FUN having one more switch to throw, you know?

I'll try to get some sound clips, but it could be a while- no home net access, etc.

-D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 09:43 PM

No doubt, neck SC sounds rule for leads. I'd like to have a beater Strat just for positions 4 and 5!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 10:20 PM

hey.. i want to do that too with my rg8527.. where did you buy your electronics?? i want 3 way with push pull tone knob.. with a tone zone7 /air norton7 pickup combo. i think the 8527 came with the same dimarzio rg7 pickups as the 7620.. thanks
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

well, i got a tele-style three way switch from my local music shop, and ordered a push-pull from rich, linkable from the top of this thread...

He might be able to get you a switch, too, but if not try like stew mac or something.

definiterly a mod i'd recommend, if youre into singlecoil-like sounds.

-D
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 09:16 AM

Re: got my 7620 rewired a la JS series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
i made the switch from Ibanez's special 5 switching to a js-100-esq three way with a push-pull coiltap on the tone control.

Single coils KILL on the low strings with a high gain amp. Phenominal presence, attack, and definition- the parallel humbucker options on the stock switching weren't bad, but the sound isn't quite the same- this is a bit warmerand more open- the notes really "snap" when you dig in.
they definately do. i use the outer coils in my single coil modes, for even more bite. i like the stock neck parallel humbucker sound, but that's more a shimmery tone for clean sounds -- not a lot of bite.

i designed a single coil switching scheme with a push/pull pot that works with the Ibanez special 5-way switching for two humbuckers [see http://www.his.com/~sha3u/gear/wiring.html#rg2027 ]. with the pot down, it's mostly stock [i use the two outer coils Tele-style sound in position 3 instead of both HBs]. with the pot up, positions 1 and 5 are the coil cut single coils instead of the full humbuckers. it works great.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

nice, glad to see I'm not the only single coil fan around here.

I went with the leading coils on each humbucker- neck side of the neck, neck side of the bridge. At least, I think so- i haven't grabbed an allen wrench to tap the pickups to see which coils are activ, but that's what the guy who did the work and I had agreed on. When you get as close to the bridge as the last coil of the bridge humbucker, he was worried about the output, while i was worried about the overpowering treble, so it seemed pretty reasonable. Not so much of a problem with the neck humbucker, but i wanted to keep it as close to the 24th fret harmonic as possible, to really go for the strat vibe.

cut a few (very) rough tracks last night to see how it sounded on tape- I'm going to have to tweak my rhythm settings a bit, i think, as they're still in "humbucker" mode. The gain was ok, but to really get the most of this I'll need to back off the treble and presence a bit. The Tone Zone is an awfully dark pickup, so i had them higher than would realyl be ideal for singlecoils. But, man... get a bass under threre and it's a seriously cool rhythm alternative.

-D

Tags
air norton , allen wrench , basswood body , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , coil mode , high gain amp , humbucker sound , local music shop , low strings , neck humbucker , pickup combo , pull coil , pull tone , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode