Got an RGA121NTF last night! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Got an RGA121NTF last night!

Long story short. I bought a Jackson SLSMG in the Eerie Swirl finish that had KILLER and I mean KILLER tone but, discovered the next day the it had a crack in the fretboard (6 frets long) that you could stick your nail in. So with TREMENDOUS reluctance I returned it (there were 2 other SLSMG's and they did not even sound similar). While I was there they brought out the RGA 121 they just got in Natural and I was toast. I've been gassing for a natural wood finish electric it was the easiest to play guitar I've every touched so I swapped it for the same price (decent deal too because I got the SLSMG for $710 out the door). The pups are not as bad as everyone says by the way. I didn't find myself wanted to swap them (I played the SLSMG and the RGA for about 3 hours back in forth). The SLSMG sounded like a GREAT Les Paul and the RGA sounded a lighter brighter with a little less meat but, still sweet. Hyperspeed runs drip off the neck though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 11:50 AM
m0p

Re: Got an RGA121NTF last night!

Congrats! BTW, how does the bridge compare to other fixed bridges?
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 12:26 PM

Congratz!!!

Regards

André

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 03:34 PM

Congratz!

I am thinking about buying one of those guitars myself. I was leaning towards the Jackson but it looks as if the volume knob is too close to the high E string (like my DXMG).

Can you tell me about each guitar. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanx
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 04:08 PM

Pictures, pictures
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 06:05 PM

Congrats, I too love the natural looks of the new RGA's and it's sure cool to have a fixed bridge RG. Are you planning on replacing the pick-ups?

post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys... the bridge feels low profile, thanks to the body recess... kind of like my Peavey Wolfgang Stoptail (which is also a very comfortable guitar). Pics on the way as well a clip with the stock pickups that I did over at a friend's house last night.

Penguin, both the SLSMG and the RGA121 feel right to me with respect to electronic controls, positions, and fret access. Neck feel is entirely different though. The Ibanez has a wider neck that is thin. The Jackson's neck is less wide but thicker and rounder. I like both. Personal preference.

Stock pups sounded fine to me. I might swap 'em but, only out of wanting to try something else not because they are inadequate. I disagree that they are crap like you read in most posts about them.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 03:44 AM

the default pickups in the 121 aren't duds. they are very acceptable IMO. however, some of us here have preferences for pickups with certain brand names.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 03:48 AM

congrats and pics hopefully soon
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedica
Pictures, pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom
pics hopefully soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME!
pictures pictures pictures pictures would be great

umm...

any pics?
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 07:02 AM

Thumbs up Re: Got an RGA121NTF last night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotechnology
Long story short. I bought a Jackson SLSMG in the Eerie Swirl finish that had KILLER and I mean KILLER tone but, discovered the next day the it had a crack in the fretboard (6 frets long) that you could stick your nail in. So with TREMENDOUS reluctance I returned it (there were 2 other SLSMG's and they did not even sound similar). While I was there they brought out the RGA 121 they just got in Natural and I was toast. I've been gassing for a natural wood finish electric it was the easiest to play guitar I've every touched so I swapped it for the same price (decent deal too because I got the SLSMG for $710 out the door). The pups are not as bad as everyone says by the way. I didn't find myself wanted to swap them (I played the SLSMG and the RGA for about 3 hours back in forth). The SLSMG sounded like a GREAT Les Paul and the RGA sounded a lighter brighter with a little less meat but, still sweet. Hyperspeed runs drip off the neck though
Congrats, Ivan!
It sounds good, indeed

-Jaakko
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 10:42 AM

Reviews: 34

Just out of interest; what are the pickups?
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Pickups are V7 & V8 ala RG550/RG570 fame. I think they were also in SC420's (but, unlabelled though ?). Okay, my arm's been twisted pics:

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 12:54 PM

That is nice. Congrats!
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 01:32 PM

Congrats bro!! 710 is a freaking steal!! We're selling em new for 900!

We recently got that same one at my store. I checked it out a little bit. Pretty cool. Love the bridge, totally solid and I think very well thought out. Someone had to make the call that stringing thru the body like the SZ would look bad on an RG. And I kinda agree with them. But I personally like more angle on my strings at the bridge.Dont know why. Just do.

Their calling the new necks 5 piece. I dont think so. Im not a master luthier so if I am wrong please correct me. I dont think the 2 very thin lines of whatever it is (bubinga?), equal 2 more pieces of wood. I consider those necks still 3 piece necks. Which are still fine and dandy.

I defintely like the feel of the neck. Very smooth. And the vaneer on the headstock adds a nice touch. Overall I think its a cool guitar. I think they should have made models of RGA's that are set necks. That would be awesome. Who knows. Stranger things have happened,.

P.S- Sweet freakin amps you got there dude! woot woot for Mesa

Tags
acoustic guitar , air norton , audio audiophile , backing track , beautiful guitar , buzz feiten , buzz feiten system , cliplock strap , dimarzio air , dimarzio air zone , dimarzio cliplock , dimarzio cliplock strap , eric johnson , feiten system , fixed bridge , flamed maple , fret access , jem neck , les paul , locking tuners , neck pup , neck thru , peavey wolfgang , pickup combo , sperzel locking , sperzel locking tuners , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode