Got a Squier..... :P - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Got a Squier..... :P

After 1 1/2 stop playing guitars, being sucked up by Delta Force: Land Warrior, Rainbow Six and collection Star Wars figures and lego sets, I finally got my ass down to watch the Jim Kelly Guitar Work shop video, and have started practicing again.

I was cruising aroiund guitar shops with my girlfriend on 28th which was my birthday, she spot a nice looking Epi les paul junior for about USD200, told me to get one of these, but I hate their necks which keep collecting my sweat and build up residue... YUUUUCK!!

So I keep on looking for the others, then I spot two Chinese Made Squier Affinity Strat, both are my favourite strat colour, Olympic white and 2 tone sun-burst, they goes for USD130 each, so I pick it up and gave it a stroke, wow it sustain for days, After serious consideration choosing between the 2, I picked the Sun Burst one and didn;t even border to try it plug in.

For all these years, there's only 3 Strats that I like, the SRV, the Olympic White Custom Shop 60's Relic and the Ritchie Sambora Black Burst Paisley Strat, for the Look, playabilty and sound, and I finally found the forth one that don't cost me a fortune to get it :laugh:

Anyway, after I try it at home, it sounds as good as any -USD1000 F*nder Strat that I ever tried, but still I wanna mod it up a bid with a cream (aged) or black pick-guard, knobs and pickup covers, and some electronics upgrades, and I would like to hear some suggestion first, here's what in my mind -

1 / *LR Baggs X-bridge - but I need to check out if it could fit in, I got a vintage style tremelo with 2 1/16" string spread.

2 / I love SRV and thinking of a set of Texas Special p/u, do you guys have any other suggestion besides this?

3 / I may add some mini switches to utilize all possible combinations of p/u config eg. Brigde + Neck

What do ya think?

Walter

PS - I'm still a Jem fanactic and enjoying my PMC, BFP, UVBK and the "Yamaha Jem112"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 09:15 AM

I've got an older ('97) Squire Affinity Strat. *I love the thing! *They're still quality instruments for the price. *They're also highly customizeable (you can put in pretty much ANY pickup without routing!) and everyone knows the strat can be changed to be almost anything. *Let me know how the X-Bridge goes if you decide to put one in; *I've been looking at them myself.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

"Let me know how the X-Bridge goes if you decide to put one in; *I've been looking at them myself. "

After you...... sir (kidding)

So, Two hands, are yours made in Korea or China? I've tried those Korean way back, but those I've tried basically sucks, but I believe there's more bad Chinese Squire out there
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 02:40 PM

Reviews: 2

Walter,
Sand the logo off the headstock put your own and tell everyone it's an expensive custom, let them play it and see what they say.

I can't stand vintage/expensive guitar snobs
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 07:28 PM

Has anybody ever tried a Squier Stagemaster? How does it compare to RG's of the same price range?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Pablo,

A friend of mine has actually play it and amazed? He was over my home to have me set up his JPM, then he saw that squier, he goes "What the FxxK are you going to do with this POS? " Then I told him to just play it a while, he was amazed buy the quality even the logo still on the head stock LOL

Karmann, if you wamt an RG, get an RG, nothing would sound like and RG. It's like my Yamaha pacifica 112 sounds great, but it won't sound like a strat in anyway even a put 3 SD single coil in it
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 09:21 AM

Pablo, you're right dude!

Many peoples are watching only at the logo! If you put a, say, Samick logo on a $4500 PRS, they'll say it sux!

Screwheads!

nuno
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 10:41 AM

I just wanna know if it's a good guitar... that's all...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 12:24 PM

I've tried the Stagemaster 7FR, a 7-string with 2 hum and a floyd-rose. *It's actually a high quality instrument, but the sparkly purple finish and weird looking reversed Fender-style headstock have got to go. lol *It sounded pretty good, but I'd recommend you try one before you buy one. *My Squire is an Affinity Strat, before they started shrinking them down, and it's high quality I must say. *It's stronger than I expected. *It's got good tone, good feel. *I believe, but I'm not sure, that it's a Korean.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 04:48 PM

Walter,

If you are thinking of blues pickups, try the Kinman Blues set. They are pricey though. They cost more than the guitar. I just replace the Fralin Blues in my 70's strat with the Kinmans. A big improvement. The Fralins are very harsh sounding kinda like the Texas Specials.

You can get an LR Baggs trem for $100. The preamp board will cost a bit more. Also, you can try adding a push-pull pot to allow you to switch the bridge pickup on regardless of the pickup selector switch setting. This will allow you to switch on the bridge and neck at the same time.

Rick
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Hey Rick Thanks for the advise, but like Pablo, I think I'm gonna stick with the Texus Special.

I read about the push / pull pot option somewhere last weekend, that's what I'm gonna do. About the bridge, I realy need to check if the string spread fit my bridge, and where the hell you found it for $100???????

Walter
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2002, 11:33 PM

Ive played some 2-3 hundred dollar charvels that killed american standard strats so to each his own. *I liked the neck profile better and things sweeped like a mofo with good fretwork for the price and all. Not so sure how easy these are to get these days though. *can you even buy a charvel anymore? *
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2002, 10:23 AM

my first guitar was a squire standard strat. it was ugly, hard to fret (it only needed new strings and a paint job) and didnt sound that great. But one day i got ambitious and replaced the bridge with an old fender red lace. i didnt really bother adjusting the height and all that, but what a difference! *i think with some more experimentation with electronics and some new frets the thing could be totally bad ass. someone gave me 30 bucks for it so they could smash it at a show, and it was the hardest guitar to smash. now i regret selling it! i might buy another squire project guitar someday. perhaps a squire tele
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2002, 02:30 PM

Ok, oppinion changed, I don't like my Squire much anymore. *The neck's just the wrong profile for me, and I still hate the Fender style headstock. *But still a decent guitar for the price. *One thing I forgot to mention:

The Affinity Strat you looked at is shorter scale, and thinner body than any other Strat. *It also has the old-style headstock.

The Affinity Strat I have, is just cheaper, same size and everything, just very, very cheap.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2002, 08:47 AM

Yeah I got a squire strat (affinity) and I burnt it and scractched all the paint off, acctually the worst guitar I ever touched

Tags
bridge pickup , custom shop , epi les paul , fender custom shop , floyd rose , guitar shop , les paul , mini switches , olympic white , pickup cover , pickup selector switch , playing guitar , squire strat , srv strat , vintage style trem , vintage trem , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode