Great metal tone off a large hollowbody - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Great metal tone off a large hollowbody

Other than adopting underage girls to be wife or talking fast and loose with threatening commander in chief, "crazy" sometimes works well when thinking of getting arguably one of the first modern metal tones, but via a full hollowbody. (I want to make this about hollowbodies and hard rock/metal/punk, and not comparing or judging Ted with other dubious, yet extremely talented individuals like Michael Jackson or Phil Spector).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3WBZvhSnXE

First, how does he do so at such high volumes?

And secondly, how come nobody out there has attempted this amp combo since?

Who else here likes hollowbodies but sometimes likes to kick in the old Tube Screamer and turn the amp up?

We all know of Ibanez player Tom Morello with his Ibanez AS or Klaus Meine with his ES-335, but those were semi-hollowbodies which is a big difference.

I used JCM 900 and 2000 heads through 4x12 or 8x12 Celestions with Ibanez AS-73 semi-hollobody but it's not doable at really high concert volumes and f-holes make it scary. If I work the volume control on every tune, it's OK though. I do like the Ibanez AF series and wonder just how far I can go with Marshalls and/or distortion.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 04-25-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Re: Great metal tone off a large hollowbody

Anyway, the Cult also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZIdUCDrpYo

Here's another great heavy full hollowbody sound which has all the aspects of a solidbody but a certain hollow and percussive acoustic quality that I love similar in a sense to a piezo. To me, it's the perfect sound. Today I went to music store and saw a used Ibanez AFS75 from the early days of the Artcore and the thing was still perfect. The fretwork wasn't as good as it is now but was still acceptable. They had a few big amps there and I should have plugged in with distortion. It was the older fixed trapeze tailpiece version but the current ones all have Bigsbys.

For the above video, though I wasn't there it sounds like they turned up to a decent volume. How the heck do you do that, and stand relatively close to and in front of amp yet still control feedback?

I have been thinking of plugging up f-holes with Doug's Plugs or simply blue masking tape. But, below, you can still hear that gritty Gretsch on right speaker cutting through even midrange heavy P90 of second guitarist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CgxfEIQ44NI

Last edited by 63Blazer; 04-26-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode