Greco, but also Ibanez history lesson - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Lightbulb Greco, but also Ibanez history lesson

For those of you who don't know, I'm an Aussie working for Ishibashi Music in Tokyo.

A customer of mine is about to purchase this Guitar, but when doing the research on this Guitar I thought this was a MUST to post what I found on Jemsite.

* A quick side note. I am NOT trying to sell this Guitar on here. This is for education purposes. No doubt someone will want to correct me, but I did this together with my boss who is Japanese and we translated the information from a Japanese source.

[FONT=&quot]Greco GO-1200[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Made in Japan, September 1978. Built in the Fujigen factory.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This was a truly golden era for Greco and is adored by a legion of fans of Japan vintage Guitars.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Two of us in the International Team have done a lot of research on Greco today. It's amazing the information we can find in Japanese that you will possibly never get to see in English as it's too comprehensive.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In the model name GO-1200, the "GO" stands for "Greco Original" model. This guitar was a combined project between Hoshino (aka: Ibanez), Kandashoukai (aka: the distributor of Fender Japan, Music Man and many other top brands) and the famous Fujigen factory.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Below I have put additional images. In the last one you can see a badge which reads...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Guitar revolution from [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Greco in 1977[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GO-1200[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As strange as the English is in that, their meaning is that they started this joint venture between the three afore mentioned forces in 1977. Sorry to say I didn’t get around to confirming when this particular partnership desolved.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To be precise, on all of the information & original catalogue images we found, the model name did NOT have the “-“ in between so while the badge reads GO-1200, everything else I saw & read had it listed as GO1200.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Built with a beautiful Neck-through construction. The body consists of a Mahogany center as well as a combination of Maple & Walnut through the 7 piece laminations of the neck. The top appears to be Ash to my eye, but I could not find any literature to confirm that. The fingerboard is Ebony.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The wiring appears to still be in full original condition. Our buying department checked it and that was their conclusion.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Serial Number: I786249[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Weight: 4.38kg[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Non-original hard case included[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Additional photos…[/FONT]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 07:08 AM

Re: Greco, but also Ibanez history lesson

Cool axe - Greco version of the Ibz Musician series. These guitars are getting fairly pricey nowadays and their rep is going up. I've never played one (or seen one in real life, they don't seem terribly common) but they seem pretty ace.

Tags
1978 , fujigen , go1200 , greco , ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode