GRX20 or GRX20DX? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Good Beginner Guitar?

Hey all, new user and a newbie to guitar. I'm currently looking to pick either the GRX20 or the GRX20DX up today at my local GC.

I've seen videos on YT of people playing each and heard it's a good beginner guitar, but I can't seem to find the difference between the DX and non-DX. They're the same price at GC ($179.99) and I guess the only difference I see are the dot inlays opposed to the "teeth" inlays.

Any insight about the differences or the guitars in general would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by Alpha Axl; 11-22-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:12 PM

Re: GRX20 or GRX20DX?

I'm a newbie too, but have been working at it for 1 1/2 yrs now. The best advice I got was that buying a guitar is like buying shoes. You have to try them on until you find one that you like and it fits.

Price and brand don't count as much as how it feels and sounds to you. Go to GC and play with everything until you find the one you like (and can afford). Last time I did this, I surprised myself at what I ended up liking - not at all what I would have guessed going in.

Your choice of amp will affect the outcome a lot too. GC's 30 day return or swap policy is a great way to try before you're committed to a final choice.

Good luck, have fun.
Gary
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 01:57 PM

In any ibanez Guitar the DX suffix just means it's a Deluxe version, i.e. RG550 and RG500dx. Really the only difference in them are going to be the Sharktooth verses the dot. As a side note I'd save up a little and buy you a better guitar off of Craigslist or ebay etc. just my .02
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimistephen View Post
In any ibanez Guitar the DX suffix just means it's a Deluxe version, i.e. RG550 and RG500dx. Really the only difference in them are going to be the Sharktooth verses the dot. As a side note I'd save up a little and buy you a better guitar off of Craigslist or ebay etc. just my .02
What would you recommend for a good starting guitar? Money isn't that much of a factor, I just want to be "set" pretty much.

If you're willing could you name link to Guitar Center for maybe a top three? Heading there tonight and would love some additional input
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:16 PM

I don't know with new guitars, anything with the Edge Zero trem would be good, they seem to be holding up well. The ROM 370, the 350MRGM, the 350MP. I was talking about saving up for some thing that Made in Japan. You're not going to get that new for under a grand or so. I bought a RG321mh for 300 bucks and if I waited 2 weeks I could have gotten a rg570 for the same price and it would have been a much better guitar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode