Guitar balance issues - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Guitar balance issues

I am having problems with guitar balance issues. My rr shifts to the left making the lower frets hard to reach but the higher frets easy to reach. I played another guitar (my brother's george lynch baritone) and the opposite happened. The guitar shifts to the right which makes the lower frets easy to reach and the higher frets more difficult to reach. My question is does a guitar exist that will not shift either way? That balances perfectly to I can reach all the frets without any problems?

Thanks,

GMD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 04:09 PM

Re: Guitar balance issues

Try shortening your guitar strap a little bit- it's not as cool-looking as having the guitar below your waist, but it usually helps curb balance issues having more of the guitar against your abdomen. No unbalanced guitar should be so bad any frets are difficult to reach.

Some of my guitars, like my SG and V are really neck-heavy and shortening the strap helps. I really don't have any problems with my strat-oid guitars (balanced design) or my '79 Mockingbird (heavy body + heavy neck = perfect).

Sometime's it's not the design, it's the wood used for the body and neck. Just try alot of guitars and see which balances the best.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 10:09 PM

I also find my Strat (a Squier no less) balances really really nicely. My Schecter is neck heavy (partially because of the odd body/strap button placement I'm sure), but keeping the strap shorter helps me too.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 10:56 PM

The Leviathan was designed specifically to balance perfectly on the strap in 6, 7 and 8 string variations
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
The Leviathan was designed specifically to balance perfectly on the strap in 6, 7 and 8 string variations

Regards

André

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
Are there any slight differences in body shape between them to make up for the heavier necks, or did you design the body to work with all three? I love the look of those, and a Leviiathan is definitely on my list of things to buy once I have money
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 10:30 PM

I hated my Explorer cause of balance issues... i always blamed the strap button placement too, but was too scared to try and screw it somewhere else...

Way too cool to be seen with, but I ended up selling it anyway
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 11:26 PM

Sometimes a wide leather strap with a rough or "rawhide" back (or faux-felt) will add a little more traction at your shoulder and limited slip to the guitar. Just a thought, and from my experince, it's what I use to keep different axes in place. SMD
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 02:09 AM

I have the same problem with my RRV. I have the strap ultra short and it is still a pain to play. That guitar is probly the one with the most dust in my collection right now because of the balance issues.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 03:40 AM

I never had a problem with my PR1660 Rhoads copy, in fact, that was the easiest of all the guitars I've owned to play standing up. The trick is to angle the guitar so that the headstock is up near your shoulder in "classical" playing position. If you need to hold it steady for a difficult passage just pin the bottom wing against the inside of your leg.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 12:20 PM

It seems like the balance of an instrument is one of those issues that never quite makes the forefront, but it can be a nuisance. We always hear about how guitar companies upgrade pickups, hardware, woods, and neck dimensions but they never address design/material issues like balance.

Some company should come out with a weight that attaches to the strap button, maybe a special strap lock, that would help balance-deficient guitars. The manufacturers probably wouldn't appreciate seeing pictures of their guitars featuring the weight, since it would be a negative portrayal of their products.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 02:13 PM

I don't know about this one guys... I say grab that axe by the neck and put it where you want it. I shift the guitar around all the time depending on what I'm doing. I will say that looking cool with the guitar slung way down by your knees is a bit impractical and should only be done by guitarists whos guitars are not in the mix anyway or by guys with extremely long freakin arms. One problem I have had is with neck heavy axes that if you let go to change music sheets or adjust your gain on your amp or some other silly thing, the headstock goes into a frantic nose dive towards the floor causing an involuntary sort of knee jerk reaction to save said axe from imminent distruction sending a flurry of sheet music flying through the air and as the heads all begin to turn my direction and the laughter begins to erupt, the music stand crashes to the floor creating a perfect, albeit untimely, crescendo to a completly illtimed ballet. AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 02:26 PM

Strats balance beautifully.

Tags
body shape , neck dimensions , strap button , strap lock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode