Guitar Buying Advice - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Guitar Buying Advice

First of I didn't know where to put this thread so if its in the wrong place im sorry admin :S

I've massively downsized my guitar collection over the past few months due to downsizing and selling any guitars I don't play/gig regularly. I now own 5. which are all Ibanez guitars. I have my Blazer my dad bought me when I was 13 (first proper guitar) a Roadstar ,1987 rg550 , PGM 300 (formerly toured with by Paul Gilbert) and a 1527m.

So with a few quid in pocket from sales and it would be handy to have another high quality Ibanez guitar that I can use for regular gigging (frets strings get worn out easily not to mention different tunings with a locking trem) with some versatility but aiming towards rock and metal mainly.

I have a short list in mind which I shall go through the pros and cons of in my mind. I would love to hear from current owners of these particular guitars as well as suggestions of other models that fit my criteria that I might have missed
First off im a complete fretboard snob I only play maple fretboards so must have one. I usually use a locking trem and require a bridge humbucker and like light guitars that play fast. Must be Japan made. So heres my short list.

Ibanez Bfp original not premium

Pros
Its a JEM man!! They look so cool saw one when I was a kid always wanted one. Has all my requirements and more! its old I love old guitars with wear and character.

cons
Pretty much the same as my PGM300 and same problem that you cant/don't want to change much around on it. Maybe swap out the pafs for a set of blue evos but that's it folks and like my PGM id have to be extra careful not to hurt it or scratch it.

RG 652ahm

Pros
Pretty new model looks awesome. Love the ash body and green finish.
Price is fair and there seem to be a few knocking about in Europe for sale.

Cons
The pickups would need changing. No single coil which I do switch to for clarity from time to time.

J custom rg8550mz

Pros
Looks amazing love the Red Spinel and mother of pearl fret board. Top quality hardware and top quality built being a j custom

Cons
hugely expensive meaning it would have to be 100% perfect, probs have to switch pickups out, id be scared to gig or leave it anywhere. Only available from Japan (or usa, or limited run ie not in Europe :S) as seems to be common with kickass maple fretboard guitars.

S5470m-BK

Pros
its an S series with a maple fretboard!!! :P so its something different ive always been an RG shape man and never owned one of these. super light,ZR tremolo which ive heard good stuff about, mahogany body num num, looks badass with the black and maple.

Cons
Have to ship from Japan as Japan only, have to change pickups, eerr not an RG so kinda out my comfort zone?!

Like I said all and any advice pointers would be very much welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 04:55 PM

Re: Guitar Buying Advice

With all the info you brought up, I would get the 652ahm. I was gassing for one of these for a long time, but I just never got one.

I just bought my first s series, (they are awesome, so light and comfortable) and I like it just as much as the rg shape, but you would have to ship from Japan and change the pickups. I also don't think much of the plain black finish.

652 already has tone zone + air norton, the original edge, and the new super wizard neck shape.

That or j custom, which would be the best, but as you are gigging, It might get scuffed and scraped *cringe*.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Yeah agreed after looking back through my pros and cons. The 652ahm and s5470m are deffo looking like odds on favorites. Both are awesome guitars. Wish I could afford both. And wish the 652 had a single coil tho. Why did you choose the s series over the 652ahm?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
Yeah agreed after looking back through my pros and cons. The 652ahm and s5470m are deffo looking like odds on favorites. Both are awesome guitars. Wish I could afford both. And wish the 652 had a single coil tho. Why did you choose the s series over the 652ahm?
Well, I wanted the 652, but I already have guitars with floating trems, so I wanted a guitar that had a fixed bridge, so I was iffy on choosing one. I also had never tried an s series, so I played one at Guitar Center and decided I wanted one.
After browsing the bay, I found an auction for an iron label (not prestige) six70fdbg. No one else bid, and I ended up stealing it for the starting bid of $350. (I seldom see these go used for less than $600-$700). I was a bit skeptical of the quality, but figured the guitar had everything hardware and electronic-wise that I wanted. Neck slightly rounder than prestige wizard, but I loved it. The guitar came in and the quality was just as good as any prestige I've had/played. Turned out pretty well.

The not having single coil is a drawback, but the neck pickup can be selected parallel with the five way switch, which is *better that coil split/tap imo. Also, as good as the ZR is, the original edge blows it out of the water. best trem ever made. To top it off, it has the new super wizard neck shape, and an + tz pickups.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like you got lucky with your S series especially for that price! I'm a super wizard/ wizard one fan deffo! Well I find its 50/50 with ZR feed back people either swear by it or swear by the edge tremolo. I'm a massive fan of the edge I have 3 guitars equipped with various versions of it. But the mods on the ZR are super tempting plus players like Herman Li and Alice coopers female guitarist (always forget her name) make me think its got to be decent. I personally prefer a coil it has its own clean sound, you can coil split or parallel a humbucker but its some how still isn't quite as crisp. Saying that the coil isn't the be all and end all, its a preference. I'm right down the middle with both guitars wish I could play both for an hour that would deffo decide it for me
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 06:18 PM

Personally, I own an 8550MZ but the burst colour and for what it is worth, it is easily the finest J Custom I have owned to date. The maple neck and fretboard are so wonderful to play on. I have another J Custom as well. I gig with mine all of the time and use them all of the time as they are my two main guitars. I changed the pickups out of the 8550 and it sounds fantastic!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
Personally, I own an 8550MZ but the burst colour and for what it is worth, it is easily the finest J Custom I have owned to date. The maple neck and fretboard are so wonderful to play on. I have another J Custom as well. I gig with mine all of the time and use them all of the time as they are my two main guitars. I changed the pickups out of the 8550 and it sounds fantastic!
I also think the j custom is the nicest, but he's going to be gigging with it. *scary*

Well, you *could* treat it really delicately, but you would still have to get the guitar imported from japan. So I guess j custom or 652 have my favor at this point.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

PBgas agreed the j customs are fantastic guitars and if u wanna gig em thats your choice. Tbh the price is what puts me off most I could buy both the 657ahm and the s series for one j custom. i know you get what you pay for!! so yes it is easily then nicest and most well built. But buying one is off the cards for this year id say.
I think eventually I will end up owning all four guitars mentioned above but i need a regular reliable gigging guitar and id just would never do it with that guitar (as im not gentle or delicate when playing live and other guitars i own have took knocks over the years) not when you pay 2500 for the guitar and shipping from Japan. guess it depends on how rich you are lol
im still sitting firmly between the 652 and s series currently. with a view to purchasing jem and j custom in a few years time.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
PBgas agreed the j customs are fantastic guitars and if u wanna gig em thats your choice. Tbh the price is what puts me off most I could buy both the 657ahm and the s series for one j custom. i know you get what you pay for!! so yes it is easily then nicest and most well built. But buying one is off the cards for this year id say.
I think eventually I will end up owning all four guitars mentioned above but i need a regular reliable gigging guitar and id just would never do it with that guitar (as im not gentle or delicate when playing live and other guitars i own have took knocks over the years) not when you pay 2500 for the guitar and shipping from Japan. guess it depends on how rich you are lol
im still sitting firmly between the 652 and s series currently. with a view to purchasing jem and j custom in a few years time.
Over the last year, I actually had sold about 10 guitars that I had for years. Some of them were valuable and some were moderately valuable. That being said, I ended up with 2 J Customs. I gig with them all of the time. The way I see it...I want a really solid reliable instrument that sounds and looks great. At the same time, if it gets a ding or two, then that is part of the story of it. I know it's nice to keep things prestige and in mint condition. That is fine if you are a collector. I'm not trying to make the guitar nice for the next guy. I'd rather use it and enjoy it.

The price of them is not all that bad when you look at what Gibson is charging as well as the Fender Custom shop stuff and I won't even get into Suhr.

Either way, you have chosen some really nice models! Enjoy!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Agreed pricewise what I should have said was right now for what I need and the funds I have as much as I completely love the 8550mz j custom its a stretch so one of the cheaper models will do fine and ill have the j custom as a long term target to save for.
Also now you've said "im not a collector and j customs should be played" I now see your point of view and I agree. Whats the point of owning a guitar and not playing it!!
Ive just done the same cleared 10 guitars down to five of which a few were valuable yet ive kept other almost worthless guitars because of sentimental value.

Tags
buying advice , jem , pgm 300 , rg550 , rg8550mz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode