Guitar Center is getting unbelievable.... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Guitar Center is getting unbelievable....

OK this may be the wrong forum, but it has to do with 3120's so here it goes.

I'm at Guitar Center, just browsing and they had a 3120 TW on the wall on Clearance for $750. It has a great flame and from the front appeared in great shape..it was new. However there were huge chunks of clear missing down to the bare wood. One about a full square inch in size, the other were about finger nail size but were located at the top of the body contour and the lower horn was trashed. The guy told me it came from one kid dropping it (looks more like he hucked it into the parking lot).

It played like a dream...I don't own any six strings, but I was seriously considering this one because it played so incredibly good. So yesterday was the big Memorial Day sale and the manager said it would be marked down further and that $750 was already at cost. I told him he would never sell this at $750 in this condition...at least not to anyone who knew anything about guitars. During the sale I found the guitar again....PRICED AT $899. Some markdown.

I can only believe that they marked it up again hoping that the sale would drag in someone stupid enough to jump on it thinking it was a good deal. I find that highly immoral. I wonder what it is priced today?

This store manager is pretty bad with used pricing as well. But I guess people buy the stuff so he gets away with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 08:22 PM

I'm blessed with some very good GCs in the Dallas area. I get great deals...and also cleaned up on a few items again at the Memorial Day sale.

That's not to say that there isn't stuff on the walls that's overpriced...just walk on by, you're in no obligation to buy. Ebay usually has a nice selection of 3120s.
Greg
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 01:36 AM

let me shed some light on this subject. Most of the markdowns that happen at these sails are determined by corporate management who have probably never set foot in that store. To them (not knowing the condition of the guitar, just knowing that it has sat there unsold tying up inventory dollars) $899 probably seemed like a great deal (which it would be, really, if it were in good condition). Admitadly, the sales guy who put the sign on should have realized that the sale tag with higher than the normal. In his defense, however, I know that setting up for this sale is crazy... in my store we had two hours to re merchandise and resign over 150 items in my department alone....

...just offering a little insight.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 09:39 PM

When they're that stupid, you lie about the exchange rate and pay in Canadian $.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 09:08 AM

Walk on by is exactly the thing to do. Corporate knuckleheads do set the prices when it comes to "sales". I have one (a TW) that I got used for $850 in mint condition, and that was high!

Check around, the world is loaded with 3120's, and that doesn't mean they suck either - one of the best all-around guitars for the buck.

I always hear the whining of "geez, I don't like tremolos". That's 'cause they don't know how to use them and like the sound of their Epi-Paul slightly out of tune.

Kidz.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Sorry about the whining about this particular store...I have just seen some weird stuff...and you guys are right, I'm sure it's all the corporate weenies telling these guys what to do no matter what. And they have like a million things going on and bunches of kids in the store wrecking stuff. So I'll shut up...hey, they're just trying to make a living like the rest of us.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 03:44 PM

Well my local GC is unbelievable in the opposite way. I got my Jem-77 GMC there for $400 and just yesterday I saw a custom shop ESP horizon in mint condition also for $400. They had a mildly beat up LTD H-300 right next to it for the same price! What a bunch of idiots.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 05:03 PM

Yeah, I absolutely love it when they tell you the POD is on sale- only $249! I suppose they do get some people...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper
Yeah, I absolutely love it when they tell you the POD is on sale- only $249! I suppose they do get some people...
hmm.. I dont see the problem with that... they were $299 a month ago..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 02:20 PM

Quote:
they were $299 a month ago..
I got this last week, and every music store in my area sells them for $249. Over the past year, I could have gotten one anywhere for that price.

Tags
custom shop , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode