A Guitar For Every Purpose - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
Who NEEDS multiple tones? Well...I guess that it would depend on whether or not you do much studio work. If you're playing on other people's stuff, they may have an idea of what type of sound they want.
I completely agree. Let me rephrase:how many of us do sessions?

What I do need, or at least like very much, is having 3 guitars, because I don't have or want a band, so I jam along with CDs, and I can have one in D, one in Eb and one in E.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 11:50 AM

Reviews: 5
I definately see the attraction of having multiple brands and styles of guitars. If it's within your means and it's something you love to do, why not? On the other hand, I wouldn't feel bad about owning only one kind of guitar if it's what you love. I personally can appreciate the clean jangle of a nice strat, but it's not something I want enough to spend the money. 99% of the time, my RG and JEM are everything I want. And usually, although it's not as fun, I can run some effects setup to simulate the other tones close enough.

One day when I've been discovered and millions of quivering young ladies buy my album, I'll buy more guitars and not worry. Until then, I'm just going to buy what I like within the finances I can afford.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh
I definately see the attraction of having multiple brands and styles of guitars. If it's within your means and it's something you love to do, why not? On the other hand, I wouldn't feel bad about owning only one kind of guitar if it's what you love. I personally can appreciate the clean jangle of a nice strat, but it's not something I want enough to spend the money. 99% of the time, my RG and JEM are everything I want. And usually, although it's not as fun, I can run some effects setup to simulate the other tones close enough.

One day when I've been discovered and millions of quivering young ladies buy my album, I'll buy more guitars and not worry. Until then, I'm just going to buy what I like within the finances I can afford.
No truer words could be spoken
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 12:18 PM

I've made myself a couple 9-strings at times. Don't get excited, I don't mean 9 seperate strings, rather top three strings singles, and bottom three doubled, like half a 12-string. I sold both because the offers were too good. But not before getting some good use out of them. They were fun while they lasted. You can play 12-string strums and still do solos. They both had piezo's too, so you could really simulate an acoustic 12 very well, since acoustic 12's are usually EQ'd so chimey and thin in the mix anyway. The lack of doubled high strings and octave on the G really aren't missed at all. Especially when you think about how often that octave G string breaks.

As far as having multiple guitars, I do have tons of them, and some are very specific. For me it's not so much about budget as it is facility, since I make them, or buy some of them cheap and broken, and then resurrect them. Sometimes I'll buy a cheap used junker guitar because the store doesn't see that there's three good dimarzios or duncans in there. Then I can resurrect the guitar with pooper pickups from something else and get more than I paid, left with the pickups, or other parts. And everyone is happy! So I would say that if I just had to go buy all my various guitars and pay for the customizing, I'd probably have three good "multi-purpose" electrics total.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh
One day when I've been discovered and millions of quivering young ladies buy my album, I'll buy more guitars and not worry.
I cannot claim to be quivering, young or a lady, but I'll be first in the queue to buy your album dude! Hurry up and release it already!
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 07:57 PM

Well at the moment I'm very happy with the combination of guitars I have. Parker Fly Deluxe, Epiphone Supernova and gibson LP gothic. I know they're not the best guitars but I feel that i already has a large range of sound.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Suspension: Multiple Users

having multiple guitars is great for alternate tunings
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 08:48 AM

Reviews: 34
I have 9 or 10 guitars at the moment.

What really sets a guitar apart for me (in terms of tone) is the wood, and the neck construction.

My Basswood wood guitars all sound the sameas each other, as do my alder guitars. The only gutiar I have that has a wildly different tone is my Charvel 550 xl thruneck. It is much darker, as you would expect.

That for me is one of the frustrating things about the Jem line up. Why not make a thruneck? I know that Vai doesn't play them, but you can't tell me he plays the 555 either. And lets face it there must be a market for it.

To return to the point, I built a custom strat last year, alder maple neck, schaller fr, dimarzio HSS (with bridge coil tap) and I can get virtually any sound I want. The question is in that case: why do I keep it in the bridge position, with the amp at 11 all the time?
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 09:08 AM

One day when i have my own dedicated music room in my house, i'd like to have one of each flavour of guitar.

- a Strat
- a Tele
- a Les Paul
- a Danelectro
- a Gretsch
- something with P-90s
- a 12-string electric (maybe a Rickenbacker)
- an archtop
- a nylon string acoustic
- a steel-string acoustic
- a 12-string acoustic
- etc.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 09:33 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe
That for me is one of the frustrating things about the Jem line up. Why not make a thruneck?
Just get an RGT then. They're less $$$ too... glen
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickz28
An Edge on a Tele??? Thats a sin!!
I know someone who did it. Dug a cavity in his tele and installed a lo-pro. I had the chance to try it once and and if feels wierd but sounds nice; better than expected.

Cheers.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 12:18 PM

Reviews: 3
For the most part you can cheat your way to different sounds. You can add treble and reduce gain on your amp to get more of a strat sound, but it won't be perfect. That's what it comes down to. If you want to make music for other people to hear and hopefully pay money for, it is probably best to do things right when financially possible.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
One day when i have my own dedicated music room in my house, i'd like to have one of each flavour of guitar.

- a Strat
- a Tele
- a Les Paul
- a Danelectro
- a Gretsch
- something with P-90s
- a 12-string electric (maybe a Rickenbacker)
- an archtop
- a nylon string acoustic
- a steel-string acoustic
- a 12-string acoustic
- etc.
LOL Sounds exactly like the contents of my guitar room a few months ago!
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 12:41 PM

Heh.

I refuse to own any two guitars that are alike. I mean... what's the point in having half a dozen guitars that are all the same other than maybe their paint colour?
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 04:26 PM

I keep thinking about putting the David Gilmour EMG set in an RG550, because I like the 550 and it would be nice to have one with 3 singles. But if I did that it would mean delaying getting a 355/AS200. Guitars......guitars rule

jim

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge position , coil split , coil tap , darren wilson , david gilmour , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , edge trem , high strings , ibanez collection , les paul , les pauls , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , parker fly , parker fly deluxe , pink floyd , seymour duncan , strat sound , string acoustic , tube amp , yamaha pacifica , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode