A Guitar For Every Purpose - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

A Guitar For Every Purpose

I keep coming up with ideas for guitars I want for specific uses (i.e. a nice custom Strat for the nice neck-pickup sounds, a Les Paul that actually feels comfortable for me, a baritone 7-string, a Tele-type with a carved top and only a bridge humbucker and a Strat-type hardtail for simple rhythm/punk type stuff) and was wondering if anyone else had dream guitars that could really only be used for one thing or had a bunch of ideas for very different guitars you'd want
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 03:02 PM

Well, I guess we all dream in having guitars for all styles and applications.
For instance, I wanted to have a '50's strat and a tele for Pink Floyd stuff (and also for some blues).
A Les Paul for some Zakk Wylde and rythm riffing.
A Parker Fly for the awesome playability and looks, a Steinberger for travelling, and an EB/MM JPM in every color they're availiable because I'm a JP freak!!!

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 03:37 PM

Yeah I agree, if we all admitted it, we could never have enough guitars! If it was up to us, most of us would have different guitars for different types of music and songs.

But unfortuantely most of us cannot afford that!
And I never think there will be the "ultimate" guitar as such. If there is I am yet to find it. There is no guitar so versatile that you dont need any other guitar, cos everybody would own one!

You can say what you like about some guitars, the JEM for one, but you always want something "extra" and something different. It is one of the most versatile though.

But thats the world of guitars I suppose!
Gary - The.Godfather
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 04:09 PM

The quest for variety is what led me to clear out most of my Ibanez collection. If I wanted or needed a particular tone, I wanted to have a guitar that would make that possible. So I've ended up with a couple of nice Les Pauls, a nice hollowbody, a great Strat, a 7-string, a baritone, a classical, a couple of killer acoustics, electric and acoustic 12-strings, etc. I can honestly say that I'm having more fun now than I ever did when I had 20+ different JEMS/JS/J-Customs. There's a lot to be said for variety
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 09:07 PM
dex

Get a decent alder guitar and stick EMG89 neck and 81 in the bridge.
Strat sounds, Les Paul sounds, rock sounds, blues sounds..you name it, you've got it.
Just get a decent tube amp and you are good to go.

ilia
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 10:07 PM

A black telecaster with a maple fretboard, silver pickguard, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder tele pickups and an Edge trem.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie
A black telecaster with a maple fretboard, silver pickguard, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder tele pickups and an Edge trem.
Ibanez made a tele type guitar with an edge trem years back i think you would be very interested in
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 11:59 PM

Yeah, I saw one in these forums a few months ago. I'd love to find one.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 05:40 AM

Im working towards that sort of setup just now because I don't play live and have no need for multiple guitar sounds. Unlike many, I don't need my tone to be 'perfect' which is why I own a POD (gotta love these). That combined with my hopefully-to-be H-S-H + Midi Pickup with coil splits should give me a lot of tones. Versatility is the name of the game!

Joe
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 01:48 PM

An Edge on a Tele??? Thats a sin!!
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 01:59 PM

The 580B is hardly a Tele. Edge Trem & 2 humbuckers is about as non-Tele as you can get Just an RG with a different shape.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
The quest for variety is what led me to clear out most of my Ibanez collection... I can honestly say that I'm having more fun now than I ever did when I had 20+ different JEMS/JS/J-Customs. There's a lot to be said for variety
Interestingly, I've gone the other way, from incredibly varied tastes including a vintage fender to a high end PRS, I still found I was using my RG550 more than anything else. As such I only have Ibanez electrics at the moment. Maybe a variety of varieties is the key ?!?!?!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 02:23 PM

Can't argue with that, Jono. I'll never turn down any justification for having a bunch of different guitars. LOL
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 05:01 PM

Let's face it. Who NEEDS multiple guitars/tones? I believe it's just a coincidence of wanting a lot of axes and being able to afford them.

That said, I have 3 Ibanez electrics, all RG derived, and I'm sure my 4th will be the same.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 05:07 PM

Who NEEDS multiple tones? Well...I guess that it would depend on whether or not you do much studio work. If you're playing on other people's stuff, they may have an idea of what type of sound they want. If somebody wants a Strat on a particular song, then it's a good idea to have a Strat. Even though an RG might have some nice tones with the 2nd & 4th positions, I've yet to find one that sounds exactly like a Strat. Likewise with a Les Paul- a lot of guitars come close, but...sometimes close isn't good enough. There's nothing like the real thing!

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge position , coil split , coil tap , darren wilson , david gilmour , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , edge trem , high strings , ibanez collection , les paul , les pauls , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , parker fly , parker fly deluxe , pink floyd , seymour duncan , strat sound , string acoustic , tube amp , yamaha pacifica , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode