Guitar in the future. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Guitar in the future.

This is not really about an Ibanez Prestige guitar, but it is in an Ibanez Prestige guitar, so hope you forgive me for posting this anyway. I just wanted to tell you all about a new, and very cool (or at least do I think it is very cool), tremolo system that has been invented by a company here in Sweden. Me and Mattias IA Eklundh of Freak Kitchen, among some others have gotten hold of these to try. I think it is so cool, new and exciting that I felt I had to let someone know about it.

The cool thing, but not the most important thing, about this tremolo is that it eliminates a lot of the common hassles about using a floating tremolo, like being out of tune when you break a string, that you canít retune a string (for example, drop D) without the guitar going bananas, you canít bend a string without the others dropping in pitch, you canít install it without losing some tone and so on.
I was very sceptical at first, but it truly does eliminate all these problems.

But the most amazing thing is that you have one tremolo arm for each string, that are completely unaffected by each other. So you can raise the pitch on one (two or four, whatever) string while you lower it on another, and all the other stings stay perfectly in tune.
It takes a while to get used to, but it really is a way of stepping into places where guitar have never been before.

The thing that makes all these thing work is that each string has its own spring; it is like a mini tremolo system for each string. The sounds you can get with a clean tone is something of a mix between a pedal steel, a guitar with a B-bender on each string (that goes both up and down) and a normal guitar. The sounds you can get with a distorted sound is so far out there that my imagination canít see any limits to it. Bending in and out of notes being played at the same time, just amazing stuff.
I have only scratched the surface of what can be made under the days I have had it.

Anyway, enough said. Here are some shots of how it looks.

I did a very short soundclip when I first got it, just to show a friend.
It gives just a little idea of what can be done.
http://www.magnusolsson.com/take_away/svaj/lick.mp3

Here are another short clip that shows that a chord stay perfectly in tune while I tune down the low E string as much as I can.
http://www.magnusolsson.com/take_away/svaj/stamma.mp3

Very exciting stuff, indeed.

What do you think, guys?

/Magnus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 07:51 PM

Re: Guitar in the future.

looks pretty cool how about a video doing the same stuff so we can SEE it in action..

on a side note I love the tone of that first clip
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector View Post
looks pretty cool how about a video doing the same stuff so we can SEE it in action..

on a side note I love the tone of that first clip
Thanks for taking a look.

I don't own a video camera, but will try to borrow one.

The tone is the guitar plugged in to the mixing board with a Gollmer compressor pedal before it, with some reverb and chorus on it (reverb from an old Alesis Quadraverb and the chorus from a Ibanez CF7 pedal).
But it sounds okay.

/Magnus
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 07:58 PM

Wow, that looks neat, interesting looking bridge, nicely done.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 07:59 PM

that sounds very interesting. the first clip, it sounds like you are using a trans trem.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 08:10 PM

That is very cool. On the second clip, you are picking while maintaing a note that has been bent flat. So, does it stay where you put it, or does it snap back when you let go of it. It would be difficult to hold one of those bars down while picking, no? Also, could they put a bar on it to control all of them at once in the traditional style as well as the individual ones still working?
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 08:27 PM

Just cant see you being able to pick and use the trem like you can do with a bar???....terrible idea if you ask me....but im sure some people will like the gimmick.

I just cant see how it can be of any use....maybe if there was a bar as well so you could control all the strings at the same time but ALSO be able to do just one.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 08:29 PM

+1

thats why I asked for a video I would like to see it in actual action..
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 08:33 PM

Awesome stuff, Sweden continues to impress me, lol. Good clip too. I think this looks really promising, and they chose a pretty kickass guitar to throw it on!
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilk420 View Post
That is very cool. On the second clip, you are picking while maintaing a note that has been bent flat. So, does it stay where you put it, or does it snap back when you let go of it. It would be difficult to hold one of those bars down while picking, no? Also, could they put a bar on it to control all of them at once in the traditional style as well as the individual ones still working?
I did not bend the note on the second clip, I tune it down with the tuners just to show that the guitar stays in tune.
If I would have done it with the trem, then it would snap back if I let go of it.

It is very difficult to pick and tremolo at the same time.
You are basically stuck with legato playing at this time.
But I suggested that, at least for how I can see it being used, that the arms would be pointing forward instead.
They are working on getting a normal bar too, it is easy to do. But they want to solve it in a way so you still have the single stings ones at the same time, witch at this point is impossible, and sort against the laws of how a tremolo works.
So either the single string ones or as a normal tremolo with a flick of a switch or something, I donít know. I canít really see how a arm can affect all the strings while they still are separated, but I couldnít see the tremolo until I saw it either.

/Magnus
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPENSPUMA View Post
Just cant see you being able to pick and use the trem like you can do with a bar???....terrible idea if you ask me....but im sure some people will like the gimmick.

I just cant see how it can be of any use....maybe if there was a bar as well so you could control all the strings at the same time but ALSO be able to do just one.

You are looking at it the wrong way.
It is NOT a replacement for a Floyd, and it is not the way to look at it, it is a brand new thing with a tremolo function.
I can see millions of ways it can be used, so could IA, so could Steve Vai (how got extremely excited after trying one), use your imagination. It is not meant to do what already can be done with a Floyd, look at it as something new.

/Magnus
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 08:57 PM

Wow, it looks futuristic. Very clean, I like it. Where would one find this?

Individual saddle adjust is cool too.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:54 PM

Cool sound clip! And that's one freaky bridge
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:52 AM

That looks real neat. Very interesting clip. using it as a regular FR is a problem, but as some mentioned i see the merit in that you have new ways of using it.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 10:16 AM

Cool technology there, definetely worth a production line. Only thing im not quite fond of are the arms, looks like they're in the way or somesort.

Tags
alesis quadraverb , clean tone , edge trem , electric guitar , fixed bridge , floating tremolo , floyd rose , guitar collection , locking nut , locking tuners , prestige guitar , steve vai , tremolo arm , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode