Guitar Guru Swirl #5 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Guitar Guru Swirl #5

OK what about this one?

After looking at the Clown Colors, it had to go. I think this is better.

Last edited by GuitarGuru; 05-21-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 11:48 PM

Re: Guitar Guru Swirl #5

Nope.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 12:45 AM

The pink in particular is looking a lot better, as is the green. The biggest thing is that the colors seem "lumpy" on the guitar. They tend to stick to themselves rather than intertwine and blend between them at all. See if they can get thinned a little more (the red especially) and then really make some squiggly lines through the paint before you dip.

Good luck GG,

Tim
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 12:51 AM

To be honest, I think its ugly.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 02:28 AM

Keep at it
If it doesn't look good on the surface of the water - don't dip anything into it
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:45 AM

Reviews: 4

The colour mix itself is a bit confusing... looks like one of those baloons I used to have as a child.

I don't know about the texture, but it's looking good from where I'm standing!

Keep up the good work!
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 07:26 AM

Smile Re: Guitar Guru Swirl #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGuru View Post
OK what about this one?
Well, when I saw the front the first word that came to mind was "marble". It looks like a marble finish to me, rather than what I would call a swirl. And to me the back looks like the body has been standing in a sloppy painter's atelier and over time has become smudged with paint, creating this effect.

Imo, it needs to look what I'd call "cleaner". Like e.g. how this one does:

http://content.bandzoogle.com/users/...ery/509523.jpg

I hope you keep swirling. You're really great at what you do as a guitar painter.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3

I know what Herc's swirls look like. I've clear coated many of his bodies.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:21 AM

I'm hesitant to chime in here since I'm not exactly a fan of swirls nor did I really know what a 'swirl' was before discovering this site AND to top it off, I don't even have the slightest clue about painting objects like guitars, cars, etc.

But Guru, just an observation here. If you're trying to go for a standard swirl, ones like Darren Johansen does, I noticed something while watching that UV77MC reissue video:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyt View Post

If it doesn't look good on the surface of the water - don't dip anything into it
I have to agree with this one.

In the vat Darren used, the paint on the surface looked EXACTLY like the finished swirl. He moved the guitar body around for the swirl effect, but the paint on the surface already had well-defined boundaries between different colors. Even on the surface of the vat, colors were not bleeding into each other.

When you look at the vat and then look at the finished swirl, you can obviously see how making sure the paint on the surface has a huge effect on the swirl. In fact, in casual observation I'd say it is THE most important thing. If the paint on the surface already looks bad, the swirl isn't going to look right.

I may not paint anything, but I am very good at figuring things out intuitively. My guess would be that this preparation of the colors in the vat is one of those things painters figure out for themselves but just never bother to document or perhaps purposefully keep to themselves as a trade secret.

I'd say that if you can perfect the process of setting up the paint in the vat, you've probably got about 90% of the entire thing perfected.

Last edited by RedTiger; 04-15-2010 at 09:28 AM.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

This is a LOT better than the last one and it starting to look a bit like some of the early fender bowling ball strats from the 80s. But in all seriousness, as a business venture, when they come out of your shop looking like Herc's or Al's or Darren's then start posting them up. You're not exactly doing good advertising for your swirls with these ones, yet. (and the yet is there on purpose becuase you are definately making progress!)

The colours are completely off but you have definately got the colour balance right. I also think you've got the swirl pattern right, some bits of big colour, some bits of intricate swirl.

Maybe you need to revisit the actual paints you're using at this stage and apply the techniques you've learned there. As other have said the paint itself looks wrong.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 12:59 PM

I'm thinking the front of this guitar would grow on me. It's the best of the ones you've done so far, I think. Yeah, I don't know, but I think this one is pretty cool. I mean, I'll admit up front that I think guitars painted with bengal stripes and snakeskin finishes are cool as well but I wouldn't redo this one.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:39 PM

it's not gonna be good enough until you get some definition in color texture... something is forming on the back side actually. I suggest you do more experiments with wooden pieces... oh well i guess i said that before.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 02:00 PM

What I'd like to know is if you could do the JS snakes design on a Stratocaster body!
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post

But Guru, just an observation here. If you're trying to go for a standard swirl, ones like Darren Johansen does, I noticed something while watching that UV77MC reissue video:

I have to agree with this one.

In the vat Darren used, the paint on the surface looked EXACTLY like the finished swirl. He moved the guitar body around for the swirl effect, but the paint on the surface already had well-defined boundaries between different colors. Even on the surface of the vat, colors were not bleeding into each other.

When you look at the vat and then look at the finished swirl, you can obviously see how making sure the paint on the surface has a huge effect on the swirl. In fact, in casual observation I'd say it is THE most important thing. If the paint on the surface already looks bad, the swirl isn't going to look right.

I may not paint anything, but I am very good at figuring things out intuitively. My guess would be that this preparation of the colors in the vat is one of those things painters figure out for themselves but just never bother to document or perhaps purposefully keep to themselves as a trade secret.

I'd say that if you can perfect the process of setting up the paint in the vat, you've probably got about 90% of the entire thing perfected.
As above - looking at darrens video, he got a massive vat & there has been no physical manipulation of the paint before he actually dips the guitar in and moves it around. Hes swirling in batches of 30 or so, when he uses the fan to clear a patch in the paint you can see the paint will get progressively more mixed. The more guitars you do in the batch the more churned up the paint gets, leading to the super messy 'bloodbaths' Rich loves.

I think the same with Al at OOTS re. what the paint looks like on the surface before he dips & he must be using a big tank as his recent swirls show large lateral movement to get the the lines running across the face of the guitar. If you are swirling in a dustbin like me you don't have much room to move the guitar around.

Plus does anyone think its ironic that darrens recent UVMC's look a lot like hercs work?
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 02:13 PM

I'll also add that a gentleman named Mike at Golden Artist Colors could probably give you some excellent tips on how to do this well. He's a lead tech support for the company and I believe he used to do swirl shirts a long time ago that looked like the guitars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode