guitar that hooked you on Ibanez? - Page 5 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 11:38 PM

Re: guitar that hooked you on Ibanez?

My first guitar was an RG 270, and I thought it looked way cooler than the strats, and other rock guitars. Then I got a 470, and now I've got an RG 2720 and couldn't be happier

(well, I could probably be a little happier with a 8670, but they cost a bit too much )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 12:00 AM

The Ibanez PS10 and, of course, the JEM series; specifically the JEM77FP.

My first axe was an Ibanez IC300. It was a decent guitar stock, but i later made some adjustments and modifications. I grew up listening to kiss (cheesy, i know) and watching paul jam with the PS10. Aside from adding new pups to my IC300, I found a pickguard from one of Stanley's Silvertone guitars and applyed it to the Iceman as well as a tailpiece. Very cool.

Of course, the JEM series has kept me a loyal Ibanez fan. The local shop used to have a 77bfp that i used to always play. Amazing guitar. Too bad they sold it! After a few years, i thought it was about time i deserved to buy a JEM77FP--so here i am!

So anyway, the PS10 and the JEM77FP.
post #63 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTER700
It was in 1990, and it was a used '88 Radius - jewel blue w/2 humbuckers. Yummy. Shortly after that I got a used sabre with the blue (not teal) flame top. Also yummy.

Wish I had those back. Sold the radius to a pal because he played it at gigs anyway. Later it was stolen from him. Sold the sabre...dunno why. Purtiest axe ever. If i see that color again, I might jump. Too bad they never made that color with the H-S-H and AANJ.
I've always like the S series guitars. There slim body and thin neck, plus bad ass paint jobs really caught my eye. Luck would have it that I needed to return a non working phaser and garbage squire to Guitar Center. I went, looking at the wall, and it finally caught my eye. A blue flame top saber .

Pics in the post your RG/ S thread.
post #64 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 01:06 AM
Gex

That was my first Ibanez. I'd played them at stores and such, but they never excited me that much.

Until I walked leisurely into a Cash America pawn last January to find that lovely 1990 RG560. The neck was so THIN! but. . at the same time, extremely solid and heavy. Quality woods. . .very dense maple. It played nice, and sounded nice, and had a good tremolo. It was love at first sight. I took her home with me for $200, which I had with me. A complete impulse buy.

I came home, flopped it on the bed, and took that picture.

Unfortunately, I sold it to a buddy of mine because I needed cash. I want it back. . .*sobs silently*

Last edited by Gex; 12-28-2005 at 01:58 AM.
post #65 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 02:13 AM

yea, whoring out your guitar for cash sucks
post #66 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 03:45 AM
Gex

Yeah. . .sure does.

BUT! At least I know where it is. . . and he's a good friend of mine, so I can play it anytime.
post #67 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 04:51 AM

my first love was my guitar teachers Ibanez 540R
post #68 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 08:25 AM

Cool Re: guitar that hooked you on Ibanez?

Has to be the 770DX for me:

Last edited by Evolutionx72; 12-25-2005 at 09:12 AM.
post #69 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 10:50 AM

JEM n PGM =]
post #70 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 04:26 PM

the UV7PWH from the P&W booklet, it still baffles me that I bought a Jem777DSY when I was about to purchase a PWH...
post #71 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 03:58 PM

For me, it was being handed a Jem777LNG to try that made it clear that Ibanez seemed to have something well suited for what I was looking for in an instrument. I was at a store testing out a Mesa/Boogie MkIII Simul combo to purchase, and had grabbed some guitar (I forget what it was) off the rack, and began playing it. The chap who was tending to me said "hang on a sec" and took off for a moment, and came back with the LNG from the "hands off" area and put it into my hands, saying something about that suiting what I was doing better... Perhaps he could tell that I was a Vai fan.
That was that - I got the amp... and later that same year ('8 after I re-grouped the pocket book a bit, I got myself a Jem77FP to call my own. I would have grabbed that LNG, or another, but there were none to be found by then. That FP was very much 'me' for a good while... then the 7-strings happened... But that's another story.
=]
post #72 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 10:16 PM

RG470, "new penny" color. Sold it recently, but have upgraded to many Ibanii after that.
post #73 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 02:38 PM

The first guitar I ever had was my Dad's old Super 70's Les Paul copy. I still play that guitar some 20+ years later. I have 6 moge Ibanez guitars now but that was my first love.
post #74 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 06:38 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce
Not too sure how accurate my Ibanez history is but if I recall, Hoshino picked up the name Ibanez when they were making solely Classical guitars and by naming thier brand Ibanez, people would unsuspectingly think that the guitar would be spanish made and not japanese made. This was during the time when japanese made products weren't seen as a decent product.

Heck if I recall correctly, Japan even had a city that was renamed 'USA' (Pronounced 'oo-sa') and labeled products made in that city as MADE IN USA, JAPAN. This way, it would fool some people into reading it as it was made in the United States. An old sailor I know still has an old clock that was labeled Made in USA, Japan. The things some people do to market thier products as something else. First it was that now it's all these fake Jems floating around.

And now its the chinese DAMN comunism I bet if they hadn't sufferd it they would actally make better products u cant compare that to Japanese stuff they rocked back then
post #75 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 12:49 AM

Vai's Universe in the "Fool for Your Lovin'" vid is what sold me. Soon after I had my first 570 which back in the day (the 90s) for the price was a monster guitar.

Tags
adrian smith , alex lifeson , body shape , bridge pickup , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , edge trem , electric guitar , eric johnson , fender strat , fixed bridge , flame maple , floyd rose , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , guitar collection , guitar playing , guitar shop , headstock shape , ibanez bass , ibanez catalog , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez jpm , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , ibanez pgm , ibanez rbm , ibanez roadstar , iron maiden , jackson dinky , jem bsb , jem neck , john petrucci , les paul , les paul custom , les paul studio , les pauls , local guitar shop , local music store , locking nut , locking nuts , locking stud , locking studs , mirrored pickguard , monkey grip , morbid angel , music store , parker fly , paul gilbert , paul stanley , playing guitar , road flare red , sam ash , sharkfin inlays , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , steve vai , texas prestige , thicker necks , triple rectifier , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode