guitar that hooked you on Ibanez? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
guitar that hooked you on Ibanez?

I started off very much a blues guy. Very into the SRV austin blues rock sound. I of course had a sunburst strat, and loved it. I'd seen ibanez before but never really paid any attention to them. Well, one day I met this guitar player in school, and we decided to get together and play. Well, the guitar that popped my ibanez cherry was an rg pr1, the 'texas prestige' in natural. Man, that guitar was soo nice. Just, everything about it was great...definately made my strat look like nothing. It sounded, played, looked, everything, great. From that moment on I was sold on ibanez. I've owned a prestige, a 3120 (with a fabulous flame top, just about a AAAAA, it was almost a quilt/flame look) and I loved that guitar! I a/b'd it to Roman's PR1, and although they were both mahogany, his was much heavier(which I don't mind at all).

I know there's only 12 of the each, but I'll get a PR1!! I don't know what it is, I could get an rg-4/9670 or something else but that PR1 will always be a desire! What do those go for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 09:47 AM

Re: guitar that hooked you on Ibanez?

Most of the 5xx+ RG's are going to be surprisingly similar to something like the Texas PR1. Yes, there are different woods, pickups, etc, but in sheer feel, I've found that the most expensive RG/J-custom is about the same as any 550/570 you can pluck off a rack anywhere if the setups are comparable. I've found that the JC's are a little different from the RG's because a few of them which I've played have significantly thicker necks than the Wizard I.

I played a PR-3 (that's the red one) a couple of years ago owned by a guy who attended Jemfest. I was more taken in by the beauty of the quilting than I was by the feel of the guitar; it felt identical to my RG770DX.

Which, BTW... if I had to pick a guitar that hooked me on Ibanez, it would be my RG770DX in Laser Blue, purchsed new by me in 1992.

-R
post #3 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 10:58 AM

Guitar that hooked me on to Ibanez?

JS1000BTB.

post #4 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:40 AM

Muh Jem.
post #5 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 12:38 PM

I watched a Video as a kid (I'm sixteen now, OH SO BIG) a few years ago, and it was named something like "John Petrucci plays 7-string Ibanez", and it sounded so cool, because:

-It was SEVEN strings! ooooh my GOD!

-The name Ibanez sounded really cool and exotic, Actually a bit turkish :P I don't really know why, but i think it's because the name sounds like a Liberian habitant, said in swedish, which would be "Libanes" (just take away that "L", and change that "S")

-Petrucci was so kickass, so i though you would become like that if you had a monster Ibanez guitar, which was soooooo cool. I really thought it would make a really brutal difference how technically good you are (after all, that was the only thing that counted; how fast you are)

That's how i bought my first Ibanez, an RG170, at the age of thirteen, or fourteen, don't really remember. Geeh, I'm at the brink of turning 17 (OH MY GOD THAT'S SO OLD)
post #6 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 12:47 PM

Here are links to the two Ibanez' that had me hooked. The XV500, and DT250.

http://www.ibanezregister.com/Galler...ries/xv500.htm

http://www.ibanezregister.com/Galler.../gal-DT250.htm
post #7 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 12:56 PM

rgt42fmdr. i saw it and knew it was time to get back into fast melodic guitaring.

thanks to the impression it made, i subsequently sold most of my other guitars and replaced them with ibanez. it's now the most humble of my collection.

Last edited by damo7v; 11-21-2005 at 01:37 PM.
post #8 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 01:34 PM

It was in 1990, and it was a used '88 Radius - jewel blue w/2 humbuckers. Yummy. Shortly after that I got a used sabre with the blue (not teal) flame top. Also yummy.

Wish I had those back. Sold the radius to a pal because he played it at gigs anyway. Later it was stolen from him. Sold the sabre...dunno why. Purtiest axe ever. If i see that color again, I might jump. Too bad they never made that color with the H-S-H and AANJ.
post #9 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 01:37 PM

Rg470.
post #10 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 02:59 PM

my buddy's old ex120. 2 humbucker POS plywood, 22 fret, big neck, tz trem, in nasty white. i had to have it. it was alot different than the squier 2 strat i was playing on loan at the time. i also had a roadstar 2, but that didn't make me like ibanez... i have seen that guitar since, and have even modded the piss out of it, but back 10 years ago...in the time of strats and jaguars(when grunge was king), it was metal. i had to have one of those cool guitars with the pointy heads...ibanez preferably! now i have gone through well over 30 different ibanez's and they are still my babies.

rich
post #11 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 03:22 PM

Steve's UV77MC with the monkey grip and lions claw .

Regards

Andr

post #12 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 03:54 PM

Jackson used to be my favourite guitars, that is until I got a jem
Now I'm down to only 1 jackson and have 8 Ibanez!
post #13 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 04:07 PM

Went to this chick's house who had these little baby hangin' around un-played...

I gave it a test ride and I was in love forever. Never felt so comfortable on anything other than an Ibanez. They really are kick ass guitars!
post #14 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 07:14 PM

it was my second guitar...an ibanez rg520qs. i got it in the 5th grade and i'm in 11th now and i still love it. ever since then i've been hooked. i now have the rg520, an artcore, bass, acoustic, and a uv777bk! i love all my guitars. i won't play anything else.
post #15 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 09:04 PM

RG !!!!
I can't tell you which one, i love them all. As long as It's japanese made, I'll be fine.

Tags
adrian smith , alex lifeson , body shape , bridge pickup , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , edge trem , electric guitar , eric johnson , fender strat , fixed bridge , flame maple , floyd rose , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , guitar collection , guitar playing , guitar shop , headstock shape , ibanez bass , ibanez catalog , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez jpm , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , ibanez pgm , ibanez rbm , ibanez roadstar , iron maiden , jackson dinky , jem bsb , jem neck , john petrucci , les paul , les paul custom , les paul studio , les pauls , local guitar shop , local music store , locking nut , locking nuts , locking stud , locking studs , mirrored pickguard , monkey grip , morbid angel , music store , parker fly , paul gilbert , paul stanley , playing guitar , road flare red , sam ash , sharkfin inlays , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , steve vai , texas prestige , thicker necks , triple rectifier , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode