guitar ID question, please? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

guitar ID question, please?

Hi there, I'm a newcomer here, my name is Jose.
I have a problem/question that is not to do with JEMs, I hope you'll excuse me...
I have been offered an Ibanez guitar as a RG550LTD, now, it doesn't look to me at all like one of those... but I cannot figure out which model it is.
You can view a picture at http://www.mcnach.com/ibanezguitar.jpg

any ideas???

thanks a lot!

Jose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 05:04 PM

I'm not sure of the exact model number, but it looks like it's got an ash body. It also looks like it has an Edge trem on it, so it's most certainly a made-in-Japan RG 500 series or higher.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
That's an RG 548NTM. It's in the 97 and 98 catalogues. Darren's right it's an ash body with a wizard II neck with jumbo frets and v7-s1-v8 pickups.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 11:58 PM

...And, I might add, looks really darn good for a 5XX series RG!

Real distinctive tight grain, very nice, and should be light too (something folks like Nuno and I like in a guitar) as my EB/MM is ash and handles really well.

I'd put different hardware on the RG (hate solid black) but with a few well-spent dollars that could be stellar.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your help.

Yes, it does appear to be an RG548. The seller got it second hand and I guess he never bothered about what model it was. I just wasn't familiar at all with this model. In fact, I didn't know there were natural finish RG4xx or RG5xx guitars... and I was thinking it was probably a stripped/refinished guitar.

I have decided to go ahead, and soon that baby should be resting in my arms. On my strap anyway... and I am not sure "resting" will be exactly the right word to use.

This will be my first Ibanez. Who knows, maybe I'll catch the bug and end up with a Jem sometime

thanks again!

Jose

Tags
edge trem , jumbo frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode