Guitar logistics issues. Please help!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Guitar logistics issues. Please help!!

Does anyone here have the experience to carry/import guitar and amp to US by flight? I am going to State in next week and need to stay there for a few months. So I am thinking to bring my guitar and amp with me.

I will carry the guitar case with me, is there any issue on flight? Amp will go with baggage. Will there be any problem in US custom? I donít want to pay for any custom duty since it is not new.

Please advise.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 03:30 PM

Should be like any other luggage. I guarantee they'll look in your case, but I wouldn't expect them to charge you anything. I'm not with Customs, so I can't say for sure. I see lots of people carrying guitars on airplanes these days, so it shouldn't be an issue to get it on the plane. Most of the ones I see are in soft cases/gig-bags, though. Like I said, they'll look at it real close, but as long as you don't have any contraband in there with the guitar, it shouldn't be a problem.

I'd be a little concerned with checking your amp in as luggage, though. Unless you've got it packaged real well (and not marked obviously as a guitar amplifier), it might not make it. I mean, don't hide what it is from the airline, but don't write "MARSHALL STACK" on the box, either! Also, checked luggage gets banged around a lot - hate to see your amp get busted by the baggage handlers. No disrespect to any baggage handlers here in the forum. I love you guys!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 04:03 PM

hello xklusivly4u!

Seems like I always reply to your post nowadays, but...
Make sure you bring your guitar with you in the cabin of the plane,
I've seen how the crew handle luggage, and it's definately not the way you want to treat your guitar.

Other than that, I have no idea

Tony
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

People in this site are very helpful.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 11:10 PM

I travel with a guitar often, and I usually resort to taking it apart (i.e. pop out the bridge, unscrew the neck) and stuffing it in my suitcase because I'm terrified that if I try to carry it on they'll make me stow at the last minute if the plane runs out of room.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Is there any way to prevent this from happening?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 12:05 PM
RCB

It never happened to me, and I ve carried guitars on planes at least 6 times. I was worried about the same thing though. I think you can call the airline before you go to the airport and ask them about it. They probably will let you carry the guitar with you on the cabin if you take it on a gigbag. The probably wont let you if you bring it with a HSC.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 11:21 PM

Just traveled on a plane yesterday where a guy brough his acoustic on board with him in a gig bag, and the flight crew just had him stow it in the overhead compartment.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 11:48 PM

I usually go up to a guitar store, get a big cardboard box from an acoustic guitar, fit my cased guitar in it, and surround it with newspaper or foam pellets. I've done this numerous times and the baggage handlers have been able to do no damage.

Tags
acoustic guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode