guitar for metal and jazz - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

guitar for metal and jazz

I was looking for a new guitar in the $100-$300. I know I want a mahogany body, double locking trem, two bright, high-output humbuckers, and finish that is not black (preferably not white either, but white is better than all black). I was looking at the GRGA32T and the GRG270DXB, but I can't decide which since they are both so similar. has any one played either of them?

Last edited by project_Z; 03-07-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 PM

Re: guitar for metal and jazz

Maybe Try an Ibanez RG520 great guitars if you can find them.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 01:00 AM

Reviews: 4

I, too can vouch for the RG520!
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 01:17 AM

Honestly, for that price range I'd look for a low-mid range RG like a 300 or 400 series or something on Craigslist (can often find them for under $250) and put whatever pups you want in them. DiMarzio & Semour Duncan are obvious choices, and both have very informative websites to help you pick the right pup for the tone & playing style you're going for. I swear if your budget is tight you can find and modify a guitar into a killer axe for way cheaper than you could afford to buy new. I've done it many times!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 AM

I was going to say RG520 as well, or an S-type.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:01 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
I was going to say RG520 as well, or an S-type.
For what your looking to spend, for sure the RG520 period.

But for what your asking for, you Really want a FGM period Best Jazz/Metal/Rock guitar ever IMO!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 02:47 PM

imo there is no guitar in that price range that covers metal and jazz ...
spend around 400-500$ and get a decent guitar instead of a "crappy" GRG!
RG520 may do the job but i would maybe look into PRS SE guitars as well...
if it MUST be an Ibanez then try a S series or a FGM like Jamm'n Jimmy said.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

well, it doesn't have to be ibanez as long as it has the locking trem, mahogany body, and is not black. as for my budget, it still stands at $100-$300. being thirteen has its perks, but having more than $300 at a time is not one of them.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 AM

I was going to suggest an SZ for you, except for your trem requirement.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 05:46 PM

honestly: being 13 means getting a crap guitar for 100-300$ and realise 10 years later how crap it actually is (in most cases) haha ;D

well anyways, for your age and probably skill try a cheap ibanez that is not a Gio RG and you will be fine. start saving now and buy a decent guitar in 5 years when the time is right ; )
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
I was going to suggest an SZ for you, except for your trem requirement.
If you are new to guitar this would be an excellent choice.... can focus on playing and not tuning. This guitar can be found used for $200 and is an awesome sounding guitar completely stock. Plus the SZ520 at least has a nice top and look to it.

Sebastian mentioned something to me once that is very true. I had a cheap guitar and a bad instructor when I was a kid and my guitar playing suffered... if I had a good guitar and amp and teacher back then I have no doubt I would have been an amazing player in my late teens. Sebastian mentioned something like nothing burns a kid out faster than a bad guitar, amp and or teacher when they are trying to learn the guitar. $300 used will get you a very decent guitar and help you achieve your goals faster than those cheap GRG guitars.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndrone View Post
honestly: being 13 means getting a crap guitar for 100-300$ and realise 10 years later how crap it actually is (in most cases) haha ;D

well anyways, for your age and probably skill try a cheap ibanez that is not a Gio RG and you will be fine. start saving now and buy a decent guitar in 5 years when the time is right ; )
i've played squiers all my life. i am used to what some call "crap"
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the help! Now that I am just learning how to use the tremolo, the squier untit on mine just wont cut it. It goes out of tune if I do any more than a light jazz trem effect. There is no safe dive, no matter how small. Once i get a guitar with the Floyd Rose I will most likely lock down my strat's bridge. I will consider your warnings about the Gio guitars and try one myself.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 01:58 PM

Reviews: 4

I will be honest, the artcore series, especially the AFS, is great for both. Anybody that was at jemfest X knows what I mean.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 03:38 PM

Reviews: 2

Go for an RG370, or any guitar with the edge zero 2. It has an awesome trem, pretty high output humbuckers, and is generally pretty good. I have the same guitar, and it's pretty awesome, aside from the singlecoil. Neck's kinda small, but then i've huge hands. Amazing for metal, rock, jazz, blues, and pretty much everything except country. If not that, go for a used s series, preferably the ones after 2010, cause they're 24 fretters, and that's just awesome.
You want the mahogany body, but at your age, unless you have some big-ass tube amp, you probably wont be able to tell the difference for a few years.
double lockers arent really that hard, once you get the hang of them. Anyway, there's not much to learn in using a trem- Dives, pullups, flutter, vibrato. End of story. Setting one up, is a different matter, though it's easy once you learn to do it.
And i just HAVE to ask: why on earth would a 13 year old play jazz?? I'm also 13, and i just CANNOT stand it!!!!
Come to think of it, no one i know likes jazz..........

Last edited by nikm13; 03-25-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Tags
grg270dxb , grga32t , jazz , metal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode