GUITAR NECKS - long hands vs short hands & necks - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Hello Guitar Players!!!

This guitar thread is about GUITAR NECKS,

How long/short hands (long fingers/short fingers) effect thick/thin necks when it comes to playability and COMFORT most of all.

Some prefer thick beefy Stratocaster/Gibson necks while others enjoy the shred of thin -wide Ibanez prestige/wizard - or non prestige necks!!!

1.So what is your opinion?
What neck suits You- what is your hand size? (average, above average etc)

2. Try to recommend specific guitar when someone is asking for a specific kind of neck

*I won't be giving inches of hands - you should know approximately what type of hand you have.

Anyhow .
3. hope to see some post here - there are players that can't decide between necks mostly due to price range of guitar - does it pay off getting a specific guitar and then changing its neck in the future.

Cheers!!!

PS. I already posted this thread on Ibanez section(I've tested mostly Ibanez guitars in the past

- Lets hear the other side now.

I am really interested in learning about other guitar brands -High end and Low end- and their necks. Furthermore what SUITS and FEELS best for YOU is the point of this Thread.

Happy Playing!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Re: GUITAR NECKS - long hands vs short hands & necks

Let me start - I own an Ibanez S770

My hands are above average sized with long thin fingers - think of basketball hand. I like thick Fenderish necks even dough my guitar has wizzard thin neck .

I really like how fast its neck can get but the feel itself is quite thin - not too thin like prestige super wizzards (which btw I am not able to play due to my longer fingers, they kinda keep cramping due to their bending to achieve playing position)

I'm looking for guitars that have necks (hopefully 24 frets) which needs a bit of the good ol' slap !! gimme that maple stiffness any day and I'll sure enjoy it

Moreover , speaking in measurements, anything greater than 19mm at 1st and 21mm at 12th fret should do the job for me.

Looking forward hearing from you guyz!!

Cheers!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 12:01 PM
rgx

Ok, here we go:
I have small or smallish average hands with medium length fingers. I have no problem playing any neck, but prefer either medium C shaped or asymmetric necks with compound radius going 10 to 14 inches and 1.65 (or 42 mm) nut width and 25.5 inches scale. Also I prefer either satin lacquer or oil finish and stainless steel jumbo frets.
I've found that the thickness of the neck is not as important for me, but the nut width and back shapes are. Particularly I don't really like the D shape as the "shoulders" make it harder for me to comfortably grip the neck, probably won't be an issue for someone with larger hands. Also I find that it's harder for me to play on wide necks as I like to use both "classical" and "blues" hand positions and on wide flat necks I can only play in "classical" position which hinders my bends and vibrato and I tend to use them a lot.
Another thing that I've found is that my hand is getting tired much faster with very thin necks.
Hope this helps.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 02:14 PM

I have long hands/ fingers and pre-85 Ibanezes (and others) with typically round and narrow necks are not for me
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgx View Post
Ok, here we go:
I have small or smallish average hands with medium length fingers. I have no problem playing any neck, but prefer either medium C shaped or asymmetric necks with compound radius going 10 to 14 inches and 1.65 (or 42 mm) nut width and 25.5 inches scale. Also I prefer either satin lacquer or oil finish and stainless steel jumbo frets.
I've found that the thickness of the neck is not as important for me, but the nut width and back shapes are. Particularly I don't really like the D shape as the "shoulders" make it harder for me to comfortably grip the neck, probably won't be an issue for someone with larger hands. Also I find that it's harder for me to play on wide necks as I like to use both "classical" and "blues" hand positions and on wide flat necks I can only play in "classical" position which hinders my bends and vibrato and I tend to use them a lot.
Another thing that I've found is that my hand is getting tired much faster with very thin necks.
Hope this helps.
Tnx for the reply - It is helpful but could you kindly post any links or fotos of particular guitar models for better example .

Cnt w8 to see more info

Cheers!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent540 View Post
I have long hands/ fingers and pre-85 Ibanezes (and others) with typically round and narrow necks are not for me

Which guitars you prefer lately? Neckwise ofcorse ...

For example something you tried out, maybe recently and it blown you away

For example I tried out the js2400 and it blown me away ... I just think its ugly comparing to the other js models- ANYWAY .. this is not an Ibanez thread
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

What about jackson, schester, washburn, or suhr guitars ... ( I really admire Suhr - folks know what they are doing alright)

what other brands are out there that you liked the way guitar felt - neckwise always
TONE is a whole another subject
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

oh ojh ...MUSICMAN ..forgot about them silly me ...--actually I don't wanna know - probably I cant afford one either
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 06:17 PM

S540 btw ! and further, some 7string necks (2027xvv, Universe)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 07:54 PM
rgx

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_stef View Post
Tnx for the reply - It is helpful but could you kindly post any links or fotos of particular guitar models for better example .

Cnt w8 to see more info

Cheers!!
You're more than welcome
My two favourite guitars are my Suhrs - Pro Series S2 with an Even C Slim neck and my custom Modern with Modern Elliptical neck. Also I like a lot my '89 RG560 with an original Wizard and '09 S1220 with Prestige Super Wizard as well as my Charvel San Dimas guitars.
Not a big fan of current Ibanez necks though as they're bit too wide and flat for me, though the JS is fine.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

rgx < I said it once - and I'll say it again -Folks ad Suhr sure know what they are doing

Last edited by satch_stef; 06-05-2012 at 07:00 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent540 View Post
S540 btw ! and further, some 7string necks (2027xvv, Universe)

I just check it out and after some reading this guitar surprised me -

it's neck is slim but its less wider than the other wizzards with 17mm at 1st and 20mm at 12th fret.. not bad for a 430mm radius guitar

Wizard neck is same as prestige in dimensions of year 2003 in terms of width at the 12th fret (56mm - today is 58 ) but anyway ... its 1 piece maple so it should be stiff- stiff up the lip
mahagony + 1 pc maple ..my favorite combination tonewise
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Banned

fender necks are the best,worst neck 7vwh man thats to broad for my hands,caused cramp,a fantasic guitar but the neck is to broad.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the crafty mackem View Post
fender necks are the best,worst neck 7vwh man thats to broad for my hands,caused cramp,a fantasic guitar but the neck is to broad.

I think you can get used to it dough ..depends what is your style of playing and the size of your hand

For example I play a lot of hendrix-ish power chords (with thumb) that is why I like to feel the neck, on 7 string guitar its imaginable for me

Unless I create different tuning ...that could be fun ...jazzy tuning like Tom Quayle does for more symmetrical playing.. Idk ..
I don't think I'm that experienced player...yet

Tags
guitar neck , short neck , thick neck , tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode