guitar not staying in tune - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

guitar not staying in tune

I have an RG550 that decided that it doesn't want to stay in tune. It seems like every time I've been playing lately that I'm constantly re-tuning. I know the weather can make it act screwy sometimes, but I don't remember it being this bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 04:12 PM
Vendor

Re: guitar not staying in tune

You'll need to describe exactly how it goes out of tune, and when or after what makes it go out of tune.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 04:29 PM

Reviews: 37

i would suggest new strings and if new make sure they are stretched good ,and check the stud inserts in the body by using pliers to make sure they are not loose in the body.

thats the only issues i ever had with staying tune an usually strings can be rusty and not cause my ibbys to go out of tune.
so prob. the studsnot locked down or the stud inserts are loose.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Guitars that don't stay in tune belong to owners who can't set them properly.
Period.
Unless they have an ultra crap guitar with rotten parts.
I already had from cheap indonesian guitars to prestige and with my setup they all always stayed in tune.
Learn how to set up it properly then it'll stay in tune
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You'll need to describe exactly how it goes out of tune, and when or after what makes it go out of tune.
+1, need more info in order to help you.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 PM

Reviews: 2

Agree with Rich. Could be a number of things. I got a RG570 that stays perfectly in tune, but a couple of weeks ago,when i was playing it started to go out of tune-i thought that was a little strange as it had not been like that before. So i tuned it again, and a little later is started to sound off. Anyway my eyes went to the floor and there i see something black,and it turns out one of the back screws of the locking nut hade fallen off. Never had that happened before. So after putting it back and tighten it, guitar stays in tune as normal.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:26 PM

Reviews: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by maqify View Post
Agree with Rich. Could be a number of things. I got a RG570 that stays perfectly in tune, but a couple of weeks ago,when i was playing it started to go out of tune-i thought that was a little strange as it had not been like that before. So i tuned it again, and a little later is started to sound off. Anyway my eyes went to the floor and there i see something black,and it turns out one of the back screws of the locking nut hade fallen off. Never had that happened before. So after putting it back and tighten it, guitar stays in tune as normal.
yes also this.
the first thing ever to look at is make sure all is tight.( but not too tight).
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 PM

block the trem and see if it goes out of tune
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

It's been a while since I changed strings, but I'll tune it up start playing then it sounds a little off check it, and it will be up to a half step out of tune.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 02:09 PM

get the evertune lol
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 07:48 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
It's been a while since I changed strings, but I'll tune it up start playing then it sounds a little off check it, and it will be up to a half step out of tune.

So did you change strings and now it stays in tune or?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 AM

Reviews: 4

I have an RG 470 that has had tuning problems lately. I finally tracked it down to the springs. They were over stretched and blow. Switched them out, and no more problem!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

I changed the strings, and still the same problem. So I took it in today and we were looking at it and the adjustment screw in the back was pretty loose.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 06:22 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccomputersa View Post
I have an RG 470 that has had tuning problems lately. I finally tracked it down to the springs. They were over stretched and blow. Switched them out, and no more problem!!
+1 on this, i upped my string gauge so i could play in e flat, and found that it wouldn't stay in tune, so i added another spring and that solved the problem!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode