guitar search despair - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

guitar search despair

Let me explain to you my complaint lately...this isn't a rant, because I'm genuinely looking for something good out there. Is it just me or does everything on the market kinda suck [email protected] right now? Now don't get me wrong, if you wanna pay 2000+ dollars for a custom jackson or something, that's awesome, but I even have a complaint with those. See, I have a big neck issue, I NEED a big neck in orde to feel comfortable. For a long time I played an RG550 but after a while it hurt my hands to play fast because I felt it didn't have any support for my hand. So I moved up to a Jem. A little better (and much cooler hehe), but after a while the same thing started happening. Then one day I picked up this SG I found in a store...neck the size of a baseball bat...and started shredding like a maniac and I realized that my hand wasn't hurting. That's all well and good. But I really like having a floyd rose, and I REALLY like having 24 frets. So what is there out there? I tried a strat and I tried a JS, both considerably thicker than the jem, and I loved them, they were comfortable. But it kills me...they don't have 24 frets. If the JS had 24 frets I'd go buy one right this instant. Then I tried a Jackson. A little better, but there's still just something about the neck I don't like. So now there's just nothing out there that appeals to me.

Give me a guitar that has:
floyd rose
24 frets
at least 22mm at the 12th fret
MAHOGANY!
neck through or bolt on

I looked at the Schecter C-1 FR and got a little excited but it's just so dull. The older ones were set neck too, not bolt on. I'm just at a loss, there's not a guitar for me on the market right now.

*tear*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:17 AM

Re: guitar search despair

Have you checked out www.carvin.com?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 07:53 AM

ESP standard series have pretty thick necks, and a floyd rose.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontalonis View Post
Have you checked out www.carvin.com?
+1

Regards

André

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 06:52 PM

It doesn't have a floyd but it does have 2 point trem, 24 jumbo frets, and a modern "C" shaped set neck.

Quote:
The Showmaster QMT HH guitar features a basswood body with a beautiful carved quilt maple top and matching painted headstock. The C-shaped maple set neck has a 15.75”-radius rosewood fingerboard with 24 jumbo frets and abalone dot inlays. The awesome tone comes from a Seymour Duncan® SH-1N RP ’59 reverse-polarity humbucking pickup at the neck and a Seymour Duncan® SHPGP-1B Pearly Gates Plus™ humbucking pickup at the bridge, plus special five-position switching. Other features include smoked-chrome hardware, knurled knobs, a graphite nut and a two-point synchronized tremolo bridge.
More models....

http://www.fender.com/products/searc...cat=showmaster
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 07:57 PM

Ernie ball?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 09:06 PM

In the world of Ibanez, the models you're looking for with the thick chunky neck are most of the older J-Customs like the RG1608, RG1712, RG1880 and RG8570. These all have mahogany bodies, 24 frets, and a chunky assymetrical neck (cross a Wizard with a EVH/Wolfgang and you start to get an idea).

Other than that, there's always the Carvin option. If you don't REALLY care that much about the mahogany & 24 fret option you can always go with an Ernie Ball Axis.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 10:41 PM

CARVIN+1
plus you can customize it too,
that is always cool!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 11:07 PM

Reviews: 34

90's model 5 charvel.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 11:16 PM
Gex

Price Range?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 01:09 AM

ooops

Last edited by Bahamut; 01-01-2007 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Nevermind, I'm a moron.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 03:35 AM

Go find an older proline 2550, its a neck through 24 fret guitar with a huge neck ebony board and a floyd, its everything you want. but its an "older" guitar its not new.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 12:55 PM

CARVIN
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 01:14 PM

Yeah if you don't like thin/flat/fast necks Ibanez isn't for you.

Well their shred guitars are not.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 01:37 PM

Reviews: 6

The answer to your question is what someone has mentioned. ESP M-II. Mine has a thick neck. Also you can look for a preowned Jackson PC1. I have one of those as well. The SL3 you "were" goint to trade for is also larger than an Ibanez Wizard's neck.

Last edited by Robotechnology; 01-02-2007 at 10:15 AM.

Tags
abalone dot inlays , basswood body , chrome hardware , custom jackson , dot inlay , dot inlays , ebony board , ernie ball , floyd rose , fret guitar , graphite nut , humbucking pickup , jumbo frets , rosewood fingerboard , seymour duncan , shred guitars , tremolo bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode