guitar suggestions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

guitar suggestions

im looking for a new guitar in the $800-$1,500 dollar range. I like to play all kinds of music but mostly rock/harcore/metal music.

I want a new guitar for a few reasons. One is because the guitar i have right now isn't very good and i want a new one for preforming and recording. I also want to be able to keep one in standard tuning and one in drop C.

I've been looking at the Ibanez RGA and have liked it so far. Anyone have suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:07 PM

Re: guitar suggestions

do you want a trem or fixed bridge? With alt tunings fixed bridge are easier.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 PM

http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=0130050306

How about the John 5 model Fender.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:53 PM

Not gonna lie CloneTool, that thing is really ugly.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:55 PM

Thought I'd mix it up a bit. Good for drop tuning.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:56 PM

It's not that far from a Jem 10th. Ok just kidding.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 PM

I reccommend looking into RG 770 reissue, PGM and JS models for new Ibanez guitars. Other good new Ibanez guitars in this price range are theRG1570, New 1550. RG2570s, S5470, new RG3570, basically any presitge Ibby is a possibility.

Other brands:

-American fender strat (it's a little cliche but it's a great gutiar for not too much money)

-American tele if you're into it (same reasons as above)

-A Ernie Ball Music Man Silhoutte (on the high side of your range, and I've heard EBMM is losing it's quality a bit)

-A lot of ESP LTDs are in this range. I'm not too experienced with them though.

-If you have no problem with Gibson then I reccommend looking into Explorers and SGs, maybe flying Vs and if you can find a good deal sometimes a Les Paul classic can be had in this price range

-The new Charvel USA stuff is supposedly good here's a thread about it http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f19/ne...hlight=Charvel

-I don't like them but a lot of people do, Schecter has a lot of gutiars in this range too.

-Difficult to get a little but an Edwards of varius type would qualify in this range too.

However, you should just try EVERYTHING in your price range and then decide. I regret not doing so enough in my life and going in and out of expensive guitars without finding what I really liked until I played an RG560. I have to admit before that I thought Ibanez as the Korn brand and as a washed up 80s guitarist brand (this was because I'm a 90s kid and I dislike Korn soooooo much). But once I realized Satch is the most amazing guitarist I have ever seen and that Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai are not washed up in the slightest, I felt encouraged and played an RG. I found that all my gibsons, G&Ls, fenders, and so on were good but shy of the mark on how the 560 hit me. I'm not trying to sell you an RG, I'm trying to tell you that you never know what guitar will just do it for you in every way and make you want to practice and play all the time.

And even though you want a new guitar, I have to say it, used would serve you better, for this much money you could get a killer guitar on the bay.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 12:09 AM

Root Tele?

http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=0134444706
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 02:48 AM

That tele looks almost buyable. I'd say RG prestige too, then you've got a huge range to choose from. Make sure you play before you buy though, that's the most important thing.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 06:19 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
However, you should just try EVERYTHING in your price range and then decide.
Quoted for truth.

Whenever my students ask me about buying guitars the first thing I tell them is:

Ignore the name on the headstock. A good guitar is a good guitar. Just because Slash (on a related note if I have to teach Sweet Child O'mine again I might kill something) plays a Les Paul doesn't mean you should. Try everything and don't worry about how it sounds. It isn't going to sound at home on your gear like it does in the shop. Just worry about how it feels. The shape of the neck in your hands, the way the body of the guitar sits on you, blah, blah, blah.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonetool View Post
that guitar if fugly, like very very very very fugly

you should try any prestige ibby, a rga321 would suit you well I think
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvai View Post
that guitar if fugly, like very very very very fugly

you should try any prestige ibby, a rga321 would suit you well I think
yeah, i played an rga, i liked it. I like the thinness of it. Thats why i like Gibson SG's too.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 03:41 AM

Reviews: 2

get a RG770DX or if you want one without a trem see if you can still find a PGM301

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode