GUitar transition dillema..PLEASE HELP!!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

GUitar transition dillema..PLEASE HELP!!!

Hallo to all..not sure if this is the right place for my post..but..
I need an opinions and a HELP of you guys out there..
Considering the introduction, i have been playing for about 7 years now..The style i am playing ranges from extreme metal, to hard rock, rock, even a pop maybe sometines..
Guitars i have been playing are (a few of them at least..):

Aria Pro 2 super strat..(a fine guitar with locking ala FR style trem)

Hamer Californian(slammer series, but Californian model, 27 frets!)

Ibanez PGM30, a Guilbert model, japanese production..really great guitar..

Ibanez rg550exgk, japanese, excellent in every way, but never really owned my heart..dunno way..excellent player, pretty good sound..great bridge..looked very classy..

Steinberger Spirit GT-pro, i really loved its radical weird looking design..there's no way that you can be unrecognised after playing this guitar..playability was suprising..even better than rg550 (that i owned too, at the same time with the Steinberger Spirit..)..sound was completely satisfying..even with stocks..bridge worked without problems..

My current guitar is an Ibanez FGM100, a Gambale model, in desert yellow..excelent guitar in every way, really much much better than all i had til her..bridge is lo pro, pickups are Dimarzio..it is so low profile, so playable..excellent, really..

Considering the other gear involved, the main is my Boss GX700 preamp/effect processor..considering AMP, i have a Teisco, 40w clean tube amp, for now..not bad..but at rehearsals, i am using a marshall stack (not sure of a year of production, 59 or something) with 4x12 cab..but i use it only as a power amp for my boss..and it sounds very good..

That is it, considering the introduction..sorry for being long..

The reason for posting this is a problem that is bothering me..
I need, and I want a 7 string guitar..
but..there is always BUT..
I live in Serbia, so..
ordering of any kind is not an option, cause taxes and customs are so high(custom on musical instruments s 32%..+shipping, +VAT which is 18%..so that a well known austion site is not an option..and an online guitarshops also..
There is a store that maybe can help me, but..again BUT..

the guitar that would surely satisfy me is Ibanez rg1527..yeah, maybe the PUs need change, maybe not, but everything else sounds excellent, but, the price is to high for me..it is, i guess, about 900 euros (i will know what the price is, for sure, in a few days..)..That's the price that i cannot afford..
So, there is another option, and that's where the real problem lies..
Unfortunatelly, the only 7 string that i will be able to afford is a rg7321, which is fixed bridge 7 string..
For my 7 years of playing, i have been using a floating bridges, and inplementation of them in my playing is big..I do not use it as much as MR Vai, but..when soloing, i use it quite a bit..but, there is a doubt in me..cause every time i use it, i use it because it's there, and it is easier for me to use it,than to think up of something else to play, which could be much better, nicer..in one word a more adequate for the moment..maybe..to shorten it a bit, i sometime feel that a whammy bar for me is like a crutch, as a Daren Wilson said in one of his posts..it represents an easier way, but by no means better, i think..!
So, maybe a buying of a fixed rg7321 would actually be a step forward in my musical expression..

Before you recomand me that, i cannot afford of having 2 guitars at the same time..and i cannot save the money to get a 7 string with a trem..also, the option of using my FGM with a thick strings and to tune it on B falls out, because of older songs of my band which are impossible to do in that way..and the transcribing the old songs to a B tuning is not an option because of a singing and stuff..
So, i can go for a fixed bridge rg 7321 (which is surely a low end 7 string, compared to a pretty much high end FGM 6 string i own now..)..or try to convince myself that i do not need a 7 string..but that is hardly going to happen..
So, the bottom line is..if i can convince myself that a guitar without a trem, the things will be much more eeasier for me, cause then i am going for a 7321..but there is a doubt that i could miss a trem..and it will be too late then..!
Also, the points for a fixed bridge go from a In Flames, Soilwork, Nevermore..all modern metal bands that i like..even the Meshuggah Newborn's are hard tail..than a Paul Guilbert..Marty Friedman..Petrucci also pretty much reduced his trem work..
On the other hand, there is Steve Vai..Joe Satriani..Steinar Gundersen (of a Spiral Architect.at least on the album Sceptic Universe, where he played an a lo pro edge equipped guitar..now he's using an PRS custom..)..etc..etc..
I have the opinion that all more mature players (or the most of them, at least..) go for a fixed bridge..which also should provide a better sustain and overall sound..but maybe i am just trying to comfort myself..

I don't know what to do..!

I know that this is MY decision,but,can You help me to decide should i go for a so badly wanted 7 string, or should i stay where i am (with a great sounding 6 string..)?
Help me please..!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 12:42 AM

Re: GUitar transition dillema..PLEASE HELP!!!

Get a used RG 7620, you can't go wrong with one of those. They seem to be out there, you can get a decent one for a good price.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:11 AM

i own an RG1527 with dimarzio blaze custom and blaze neck pups in and its rocks!! pretty hard to fault, the tunings so stable that when i got back from a weeks holiday and picked it up it was still in tune!
definitely a worthy guitar worthy of considering
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez View Post
Get a used RG 7620, you can't go wrong with one of those. They seem to be out there, you can get a decent one for a good price.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
+1

Regards

Andrť

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Thankx..i know that a rg7620 would be excellent..hell, even 7420 and 1527 would be great, although without dimarzios..
BUT..i live in Serbia, and i only 2 guys are in here that i know of, that have a 7 strings..one is my friend..who plays UV..and other is a some rock band..
so..i am trying to say that 7 string used market in here is equal to NONE..
So..i can only order it..and that way, it becomes really pricey..so probably i will be able to afford only 7321 after selling my FGM100..sounds bizzare..but thats the way when you live cut off of the other world..And as i said already, well known site for selling is not an option because of terrible taxes and customs and stuff...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 08:01 AM

Well, here's one option that sounds stupid, but maybe...
Go to Slovenia and buy guitar there, get the tax back on the Croatian border when you leave Slovenia and then you 'only' have to cross your border without paying the import tax (never went to Serbia so i don't know how hard would that be).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 08:16 AM

I currently own two 7-strings. One with trem (RG7620), and one non-trem (Schecter Revenger-7) w/ Dimarzios.

Anyway, when I play the non-trem 7-string, I don't miss the trem. It doesn't make that much of a difference to me style wise. You can always come up with something else, rather than just "reaching for the bar". Who knows, maybe you'll come up with something more interesting.

If a 7321 is all that's available, and you really want a 7-string, then go for it. All you'll probably need is to upgrade the pickups.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Angelo guitars said:
You can always come up with something else, rather than just "reaching for the bar". Who knows, maybe you'll come up with something more interesting.

That was exactly what i was thinking..sometimes..having the bar..it is just to easy, so that prevents you from thinking up something better maybe..but..that is sometimes..and sometimes, there are stuff that you can not do without the trem..tough choice..
But thank you for the time..your post could be helpful to me..!

Bane..thank you for your the idea..maybe in the future it won't look so impossible to me as it sems now..but traveling costs a lot..and stuff..passports..visas i guess..i am not sure if theyre needed for these countries..but i really aprecciate your saying..nice to see someone from around here on the jemsite!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 10:34 AM

RG7321 plays great. Recently I saw Sieges Even performing and the guitarist used one through the whole set. It's really versatile and I don't think that the absence of the bar will bother you. You can also get a digitech whammy later and "be" MR. Vai or Tom Morello!

One other thing. If you live near the Greek border you can get a 7-string from Thessaloniki. You may also be able to find Schecters too.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 02:34 PM

"i ---- bought - on eee-bay...."

you can get 7strings ith trems there well in your budget even including shipping and taxes. just chossse usps airmail parcel post and as seller to mark the item at a very low price and/or mark it as a gift...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 02:55 PM

if it helps, I asked the same question here:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48880

Tags
blaze neck , digitech whammy , dimarzio blaze , dimarzio blaze custom , equipped guitar , fixed bridge , floating bridges , gambale model , ibanez pgm , joe satriani , marty friedman , neck pup , power amp , pro edge , schecter revenger , steve vai , super strat , tom morello , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode