Guitar w/Bass body? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Guitar w/Bass body?

I'm really into the look of the Ibanez BTB bass series, but I'm a guitarist. Would it be possible to just swap over a bridge, pups, and tuners to the bass, or would a full neck swap be in order? Would a guitar neck even fit? Am I insane for thinking about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:49 PM

Re: Guitar w/Bass body?

It is possible in theory. There are some limitations, however:

* The neck will probably not fit in the neck pocket of the body
* You need a top-mounted bridge - trem units will not work. The bridge might be smaller than the bass bridge - in that case, it will not look nice.
* The pickup cavaties need to be expanded/filled. Will not look nice.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

I figured it wasn't going to look that pretty, but the "banana" horns on the BTB are just too appealing to me.

..Or maybe I should just learn to play bass.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 02:11 PM

You would also need to relocate the hardware as the scale lengths are different. This really would not work on numerous levels. Your best bet would be to have a body custom made for a six string config but bass body style and size.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

I wish I could afford that. Unfortunately, I am a college student as of now, and therefore my budget is slim to none. I suppose I'm going to have to figure out some way to mangle them together.

Oh, a note: this is't a question exclusively for the BTB, but for bass body swapping in general. Has anyone heard of a successful transfer?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 03:07 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilkyBear View Post
You would also need to relocate the hardware as the scale lengths are different. This really would not work on numerous levels. Your best bet would be to have a body custom made for a six string config but bass body style and size.
+1 on that.

Tags
bass , body , guitar , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode