GuitarGuru Donnie paint on my Steinberger GS - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13
GuitarGuru Donnie paint on my Steinberger GS

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share some pictures of my Steinberger GS that Rick (GuitarGuru on Jemsite) has just recently painted. I wanted one of his "Donnie" paint-jobs but I added a little bit of a twist. I sent him a couple of ounces of chameleon paint so the accents on the paint will change colors depending on the angle you're looking at the guitar. Rick has done a superb job in my opinion and I would recommend his work to anyone! Enjoy the pics!

You can really see some nice contrasts as he tried to get some shots with the different colors there. The two paints that I sent him were a Cyan flipping to Purple and Blue flipping to Red. The first picture here is a shot with the clearcoat on the body. It looks amazing!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 02:23 PM

Re: GuitarGuru Donnie paint on my Steinberger GS

That's really cool. Don't forget to put more pics up when it's fully assembled
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg5150 View Post
That's really cool. Don't forget to put more pics up when it's fully assembled
Thanks!

I will post pics again when finished. When this is complete it will be sporting an EMG 85 in the bridge and a Sustainiac Stealth Plus in the neck. It has the TransTrem tremolo as well and the action "was" super-low and it will be again.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 07:20 PM

Reviews: 3

This is a "One of a Kind". I really had fun doing it. Thanks.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 08:12 PM

Neat idea with the color changing accents, I'm sure you just sparked some ideas.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonetool View Post
Neat idea with the color changing accents, I'm sure you just sparked some ideas.
I hope I did! Funny thing is, is that I was always apprehensive in buying paint like that because of the price but Rick really didn't need that much for the accents so the paint wasn't nearly as expensive because I bought it in 2 oz. bottles. It's not like painting a car where you need a whole gallon of that stuff and the paint alone will cost over $4,000!

You guys know what's coming next don't you? Come on.... say it with me:

Chameleon Swirl

I gotta do it... I gotsta!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 12:47 AM

How do you like your GS? That is my favorite steinberger model!! Are you the original owner?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 12:58 AM

That is really cool!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 01:39 AM

Reviews: 2

nice...that is a great touch with the chameleon paint
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsdds View Post
How do you like your GS? That is my favorite steinberger model!! Are you the original owner?
It's my favorite Steinberger as well but overall out of the guitars that I have (Brian Moore MC/1, GS, Suhr Modern, Ibanez 2027x, Bernie Rico 627, McNaught Tempest) I would say that the GS is my overall favorite. It's super fast - the action on it was crazy. I usually like a "woody" neck too but this graphite is pretty smooth and even on stage it wasn't bad if my hands got a bit sweaty.

Rick's work on this guitar has make it that much cooler. I'll have it back together in about a week and I'll post new photos. I am pretty sure I am going to be taking this guitar to NAMM this year as well.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 12:40 PM

Very cool- nice and creative.
But now you've got me waiting impatiently for the chameleon swirl!!!!!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom's door View Post
Very cool- nice and creative.
But now you've got me waiting impatiently for the chameleon swirl!!!!!
Yeah - I gotta do it.... I have an idea actually. I bought an RG2027x some time ago and I don't care for the stock cherryburst finish even though I bought the guitar in great condition. But, I had this idea to paint it black and have a cool mirrored pickguard on there. I wanted to have the binding painted in a purple or a green and then have just the face of the guitar have the swirl on it.

I think that may look cool with some of the chameleon paint as a few of the swirls... we'll see....
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 03:29 PM

I like, great idea with the flip paint
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 03:57 PM
MFB

How's the system on the Steinberger work? I mean is it a pain to change tunings or anything?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFB View Post
How's the system on the Steinberger work? I mean is it a pain to change tunings or anything?
Well, to change tunings not at all. But - this generation of TransTrem is a little different. It's really just a click of the bar to lock the transposing arm into place. However, this particular model only transposes DOWN into D, C and B and UP into F# and G. There is a new Steinberger out called the ZT3 that has the third generation of TransTrem that transposes DOWN to E-Flat and D then UP to F and F#. Basically you have from D to F# all in half-step increments.

I am not sold all the way on the new Steinberger ZT3 because I am not that crazy about the headless guitars. The GS is the only Steinberger to ever come with a headstock. But, should I do another project with another GS body I would probably buy the ZT3 just to get the tremolo out of it and use it.

Sorry for the long-winded answer!

Tags
donnie , guitarguru , steinberger gs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode