Guitars I wish I kept Part 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Guitars I wish I kept Part 2

92 540r JB

540R SSH Red Burst

540R SSH Black

540R-LTD Black

540RHH

540RLTD RR

89 Ibanez 540PHH DY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 05:08 AM

Re: Guitars I wish I kept Part 2

Dude what ever possessed you to get rid of those 540r's, I've tried to thin my herd before but have never been able to bring myself to do it, i even still own my first guitar a honor rockwood which is possibly the worst guitar in the world. I've even still got an acoustic that has a warped neck that is beyond saving but can't get rid of it just dont want to send it to guitar heavan. you must have nightmares about it
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 08:25 AM

I guess hindsight is 20/20 but I would have kept my Holdsworth Ibanez but would still trade it for an HSS R model. Those R models are gorgeous!

Every collector thins out herd from time to time. For me, if I don't play it, no matter how great it is, then it goes and same with other stuff, too like perfectly good clothing. I have two hands and can play only one guitar at a time and tend to heavily favor a specific neck making all others feel a bit uncomfortable thus I understand people like Clapton who played Blackie for so many years while rarely utilizing others.

At the guitar store/gallery down the street Nancy Wilson of Heart parted with a whole slew of great guitars, even famous ones in Heart's history but she has GAS and 160 guitars.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 08-02-2013 at 08:32 AM.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 08:28 AM

Letting all those awesome Radii go, why haven't you sought professional help yet?

Which was your favourite of the bunch?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Easy answer??? GAS

I dont have a ton of money to "play" with so if I want something else, something has to go. Or another hobby "needs" the cash so again, something has to go. I think I just like the hunt.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 10:52 AM

I was thinking about buying one of those Radius copy bodies from Ebay that are set up for 24f Ibanez wizard necks, getting a neck, and slapping it on. even has a AANJ.
Always wanted a 24f radius body Ibanez with a wizard neck.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke^in View Post
I was thinking about buying one of those Radius copy bodies from Ebay that are set up for 24f Ibanez wizard necks, getting a neck, and slapping it on. even has a AANJ.
Always wanted a 24f radius body Ibanez with a wizard neck.
I have 2 builds in my head, one of those being exactly what your talking about with a cool paintjob.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
Easy answer??? GAS

I dont have a ton of money to "play" with so if I want something else, something has to go. Or another hobby "needs" the cash so again, something has to go. I think I just like the hunt.
That's how I, as a high school and college student was able to get dozens of instruments over many years. I would never have more than four at one time. I couldn't decide if I was an Ibanez guy or Charvel/Jackson guy for shredder gear, Fender or Gibson guy, acoustic or electric, nylon or steel, new or vintage, so I...did them all.

That being said, when I got past 50 instruments I realized that professional help was not out of the question. Instead of turning into the crazy guy in a moldy trailer home with hundreds of guitars like that guy on YouTube, I focused my energies on education and taking on everything. I don't know if college debt was much better but at least it looks better on a resume than saying you have a big guitar collection. I think the heart of true GAS is not about getting instruments but getting off on the high from the search. If it impedes on bank account, or starts taking precedence over routine medical or dental, or crowds living space, then it's a psychological problem. It's not different from the crazy lady who has so many cats that the health department condemns her house and she is sent off to an institution to get help. A collector may get a Jem or Satch or two but a truly sick individual would have so many that they are taking up the shower stall and bath and the person has to go to the local community college to use their facilities. I saw one guy online who had so many Fenders that he rolled them around on a baker's tray with many shelves. The man himself looked like he had never bathed or shaved for months. It's quite pathetic to see but not quite as evident when he polishes them up and posts them one by one online with the viewer not knowing he lives in just 1000 square feet with 200 guitars.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 08-02-2013 at 12:22 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I have 2 builds in my head, one of those being exactly what your talking about with a cool paintjob.
If you do it, post it
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
I saw one guy online who had so many Fenders that he rolled them around on a baker's tray with many shelves. The man himself looked like he had never bathed or shaved for months. It's quite pathetic to see but not quite as evident when he polishes them up and posts them one by one online with the viewer not knowing he lives in just 1000 square feet with 200 guitars.
Jeez, I'm feeling pretty good about myself!!!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Jeez, I'm feeling pretty good about myself!!!
I guess it's all about what is important. He is so into Fender that you name a year of tele or strat, he has it (all of them, mind you except for a few pre-CBS holes in collection). But then ask about color and in some years he has them all, sometimes more than one in a color in a year. He's obviously mentally ill based on his postings but harmless in that he won't end up becoming the next Unabomber but a chromosome or gene one way or the other then he would be off sending mail bombs instead of having the biggest, baddest Fender collection on the planet. He can't keep them in cases since those take up too much space in his context so they are out in shed somewhere. The baker's trays make sure they don't stack so heavily on top of each other and scratch them. He kind of looks like a guitar factory in a third world country.

He really lost count at 100 on any given model but he has so many it's just ridiculous and they are American made, vintage Fenders so they are not cheap. He is alone and no payments, wife, kids, or anything but claims he is not rich nor does he make a lot of money. I guess if all you did was live cheaply and just eat, sleep, and collect, you would eventually hit 100 instruments, even those pricey ones. The only Ibanez person I know of who has that type of value or numbers is of course Rich on Jemsite but again he's a dealer. One dealer friend of mine had a medium sized store but could not make it go so now he has the biggest local guitar collection I know of (G&L, PRS, ESP, Takamine, Ovation, etc). He just got depressed and overworked and just put them away in house according to musicians. I hope he has big garage sale at least and recovers even 10% percent of cost of starting business, license, employees, and hidden costs as no one person could play 100 instruments, all brand spanking new.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 08-02-2013 at 03:24 PM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 08:28 PM

Of these. the one I can't believe you parted with is the 540RHH. You just don't see those.

I never knew you had a second gen 540P/ The collector in me can't believe you got rid of a DY 540P but I also know that those can be an issue to play from several perspectives.

I'm also shocked that you owned THREE identical 540RLTD's. I mean, I can sort of understand two, if you get rid of one and then regret it, but getting rid of the second one and then getting a third!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got rid of the 540RHH to pay for the Herc which i consider an ok thing to do!!

Your right, the 540P was not my cup of tea. I actually felt like I could not get to the upper frets!

I freaking love the bound neck of the 540RLTD's. I kick myslef because the black one was absolutely perfect, closet queen in every sense.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
I guess it's all about what is important. He is so into Fender that you name a year of tele or strat, he has it (all of them, mind you except for a few pre-CBS holes in collection). But then ask about color and in some years he has them all, sometimes more than one in a color in a year. He's obviously mentally ill based on his postings but harmless in that he won't end up becoming the next Unabomber but a chromosome or gene one way or the other then he would be off sending mail bombs instead of having the biggest, baddest Fender collection on the planet. He can't keep them in cases since those take up too much space in his context so they are out in shed somewhere. The baker's trays make sure they don't stack so heavily on top of each other and scratch them. He kind of looks like a guitar factory in a third world country.

He really lost count at 100 on any given model but he has so many it's just ridiculous and they are American made, vintage Fenders so they are not cheap. He is alone and no payments, wife, kids, or anything but claims he is not rich nor does he make a lot of money. I guess if all you did was live cheaply and just eat, sleep, and collect, you would eventually hit 100 instruments, even those pricey ones. The only Ibanez person I know of who has that type of value or numbers is of course Rich on Jemsite but again he's a dealer. One dealer friend of mine had a medium sized store but could not make it go so now he has the biggest local guitar collection I know of (G&L, PRS, ESP, Takamine, Ovation, etc). He just got depressed and overworked and just put them away in house according to musicians. I hope he has big garage sale at least and recovers even 10% percent of cost of starting business, license, employees, and hidden costs as no one person could play 100 instruments, all brand spanking new.

Is that Fender dude online? Sounds like an interesting person for sure, and would love to see his collection
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Your right, the 540P was not my cup of tea. I actually felt like I could not get to the upper frets!
That isn't your imagination. It's a known problem with that guitar. With the wide neck, it actually makes for a pretty cool rhythm guitar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode