Guitars with thick/fat necks - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Guitars with thick/fat necks

The proverbial "baseball bat" necks... What guitars have them?

The reason I ask is that the local guitar tech guy handed me his Jackson SL1 Soloist over the weekend... I was amazed at how thick the neck was, then equally amazed at how great it felt to play. Much more confortable, but slower, than the thin Ibanez necks I'm used to playing. I didn't want to give it back to him.

I know Ibanez has the Fireman (though I have never seen one), but are there other guitars out there with big comfy necks like the SL1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 05:15 PM

Re: Guitars with thick/fat necks

Get your hands on a Gibson 1958 Les Paul Reissue R8 model -- you'll be in for a big surprise! Huge necks on those!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 05:59 PM

Reviews: 13

Fender Jeff Beck has a huge neck.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 06:41 PM

Many 1970s Fenders have pretty big necks.

The Ibanez Artcore line also has thick necks for Ibbys, and mine is a gigantic 1.04" inches/26.5 mm. at 12th fret. I think the 1958 and before Gibson necks are bigger than that.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 11:39 PM

the 54 strat reissue has a huge neck. The 63 gibson "block" 335 reissue has a big fat neck. The epiphone slash model has a surprisingly fat/beefy neck. Pretty much anything 50s reissue will have a big thick neck.

The fireman does have a surprisingly fat neck.

If you like the jackson soloist body style, just build a warmoth guitar. They have a few necks with larger profiles.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 12:48 AM

Jackson Phil Collen sigs have baseball bats as necks.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 08:30 AM

The Ibanez roadcores have fat necks too. They are on par with any Fujigen Strat or Telecaster. Only difference is, the RC doesn't have a compound radius neck.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post

The reason I ask is that the local guitar tech guy handed me his Jackson SL1 Soloist over the weekend... I was amazed at how thick the neck was, then equally amazed at how great it felt to play. Much more confortable, but slower, than the thin Ibanez necks I'm used to playing. I didn't want to give it back to him.
That is interesting.
I put SL-1 in my future buying list, doesn't really need one, but just to complete my collection of '80 shredding machines.
now, since you mentioned the neck is baseball bat thick, makes me wonder.
I'm not against fat neck, but if thick + 43mm nut , I'm not really dig it.
the SL-1 has compound radius, maybe that helps, that why you feel comfortable?

My ESP M-2 neck, not as baseball bat thick, it's more like ultra shaped, but 42mm nut and 305mm radius, makes it feel 'different' yet fast and comfy.

my (late)fernandes neck is 43mm nut, and more than 20mm thick, single radius at 430mm.
not as fun as the ESP.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions... I did play a '59 Reissue Les Paul, it seemed nice and round... pretty good feeling.

Never tried a 70's era or Jeff Beck strat... I'll check them out. Maybe someone like Warmoth sells that style of neck? I'll see what they have on their website. They are not cheap, but have good quality parts from what I have heard.

I played an Artcore, I don't remember what model it was... but the neck was actually pretty thin feeling. Maybe it was the profile? They probably have different neck types on different models too.

Epiphone Slash model? I read that they have Slash's D profile, but thats all they say about it. I'll have to see if there is one around locally.

Jackson PC1 guitars are amazing. I had no idea they had a fat neck too. Ultimate coolest signature model out there... true dream guitar material, slightly unaffordable though.

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/guitar...oard-chlorine/

The Roadcore I played locally had a decent neck, not as thin as most Ibanezes have. Kind of reminded me of the older Roadstar necks... not bad!

I would highly recommend trying an SL1 if you are looking for 80's shredding machines. I don't know what all made it feel so good. The neck it what I noticed first... but the entire guitar was a real work of art. Very solid, great sustain... you can just tell you are holding a quality piece of machinery. Some people don't like the glossy neck finish, but I am used to it from playing the SZ320.

Thanks for all the recommendations... I'll keep my eye out for some to check out in the future!

Last edited by FireEagle; 03-03-2015 at 09:03 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 09:17 AM

I grew up with a 1990 RG550 with the original wizard neck. Still love this and I really feel comfortable playing the guitar (I do have it since 1990...)
But I came to the conclusion that I like a lot of well shaped neck regardless of their size.
A PRS regular and wide fat neck feels great... The raw rosewood neck on my PRS 513 feels very fast too... The neck on my S2120x is super nice as well, although not as thick as the PRS wide fat and certainly much thicker than my RG550...
I also did not notice any difference in my playing speed regardless of neck size... IMHO the neck scale you're used plays a greater role in this....
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
I grew up with a 1990 RG550 with the original wizard neck. Still love this and I really feel comfortable playing the guitar (I do have it since 1990...)
But I came to the conclusion that I like a lot of well shaped neck regardless of their size.
A PRS regular and wide fat neck feels great... The raw rosewood neck on my PRS 513 feels very fast too... The neck on my S2120x is super nice as well, although not as thick as the PRS wide fat and certainly much thicker than my RG550...
I also did not notice any difference in my playing speed regardless of neck size... IMHO the neck scale you're used plays a greater role in this....
I dunno, any really good guitarist can shred whatever they pick up. My favorite scale is 25" now, after playing my Carvin JB200, it just feels the best to me. 25.5 is fine too, and I have played 25.5 the most, but I think it's better if you get your body to understand all the different scale types so that, while you may be most comfortable with a specific scale, you can play any at any time.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:06 AM

Fireeagle,

Both Epiphone and Gibson Goldtop and Sunburst reissues have a good shreddable neck that is relatively thick. While not as thick nor the same as the real, vintage thing which I have had the pleasure to play a few times, the reissues are shaved down from the originals to still cater to modern players. Some players dismiss the Gibson/Epi reissues as probably being too thick but many have a slightly assymetrical neck which facilitates faster playing. Those reissue necks keep the basic bulk of the old necks but take off wood where it may slow a player down. Technically, if you pick up a real '58 or '59, you may find that it's just way too thick in a way that it relegates your playing to moderate speeds. Les Paul himself shredded fast but then again he shaved down necks and put on fatter and taller frets and removed fret tangs so he could bend notes unobstructed.

The Artcores vary in necks and my AS model is from 2006 and the newer ones have slimmer necks like what you have tried. The slimmer necks of newer Artcores are more universally accepted among players but I like the fat ones and they may lend to slightly more sustain and fatness of tone. Those stock Artcore pickups are a little weak and lack midrange and bass so a fat neck helps in those areas. It can get hard to play fast past 12th fret on my older Artcore thus the slightly slimmer necks today.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
You may be right... I don't think it is ALL about the thickness. I haven't played a whole lot of guitars, so I'm still learning what feels good and plays good in my hands. The main thing I notice is fret hand fatigue with very thin necks, some of which is due to poor technique and using too much pressure. The fat neck seems to help with this... It's like I have more to anchor my fret hand to and it feels more comfortable, so I don't end up use as much pressure. I could be wrong... but I have to do something. I have been experienceing quite a lot of pain in my left hand index finger knuckles and it's getting to the point where I am worried about it.

For some reason I can switch between 24.75, 25.1, and 25.5 scales without too much trouble. I notice it more when doing practicing, but don't seem to notice when I am playing a song.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Fireeagle,

Both Epiphone and Gibson Goldtop and Sunburst reissues have a good shreddable neck that is relatively thick. While not as thick nor the same as the real, vintage thing which I have had the pleasure to play a few times, the reissues are shaved down from the originals to still cater to modern players. Some players dismiss the Gibson/Epi reissues as probably being too thick but many have a slightly assymetrical neck which facilitates faster playing. Those reissue necks keep the basic bulk of the old necks but take off wood where it may slow a player down. Technically, if you pick up a real '58 or '59, you may find that it's just way too thick in a way that it relegates your playing to moderate speeds. Les Paul himself shredded fast but then again he shaved down necks and put on fatter and taller frets and removed fret tangs so he could bend notes unobstructed.

The Artcores vary in necks and my AS model is from 2006 and the newer ones have slimmer necks like what you have tried. The slimmer necks of newer Artcores are more universally accepted among players but I like the fat ones and they may lend to slightly more sustain and fatness of tone. Those stock Artcore pickups are a little weak and lack midrange and bass so a fat neck helps in those areas. It can get hard to play fast past 12th fret on my older Artcore thus the slightly slimmer necks today.
Thanks for the heads-up... The 59 reissue felt pretty good, nice round neck, but not as meaty as the SL1. I only played the 59 for about two minutes though.

I'm not a "shredder", so the fat neck may suit my playing style without being a hindrance. I need to spend some time playing some different neck sizes and profiles. Hopefully it will help with fret hand issues too. The long lanky fingers and thin necks just isn't working out too well... though I have been trying to change the way I hold the guitar and my wrist angle, etc.. Maybe I can figure out how to play in a way that won't get too tiring on thin necks.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Thanks for the heads-up... The 59 reissue felt pretty good, nice round neck, but not as meaty as the SL1. I only played the 59 for about two minutes though.

I'm not a "shredder", so the fat neck may suit my playing style without being a hindrance. I need to spend some time playing some different neck sizes and profiles. Hopefully it will help with fret hand issues too. The long lanky fingers and thin necks just isn't working out too well... though I have been trying to change the way I hold the guitar and my wrist angle, etc.. Maybe I can figure out how to play in a way that won't get too tiring on thin necks.
For lead guitar up the neck, a thin neck like a Wizard prolongs playing time without fatigue.

But on first position chords, a fatter neck makes it easier to play cowboy chords. Finger and hand size isn't the main issue but where you play the guitar the most.

Also wearing the guitar high enough can also reduce fatigue. While playing super low looks cool, it can be hard on the wrists.

Someone should make an all around neck with fat neck on first few frets with curvy radius and flatter radius and more slender neck on high frets. I don't know if anybody makes a neck like this. There are necks which are rounder radius on first few frets and flatter radius down the line but those necks are usually pretty consistent in thickness from first fret to neck joint. It may look weird to see a neck with so much mass on first few frets and have it be slender around 10th fret onwards, but that could probably make for a neck that is comfortable both in first position and on higher frets.

You have to see where you are putting the most time on the neck. If you play at least some lead guitar like a lot of us a good place to start is see where neck is at 12th fret or so.

Less than an inch is typical and while Gibson didn't have hard and fast rules, here's some details on fat '58, medium '59, and thin '60 necks as well as some profiles of common Fenders. Many other makers, Ibanez included, are derivative of these basic shapes. Very few players are going to call a typical '58 neck "thin" and very few are going to find a slim taper 1960 neck to be too fat.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/t...-neck-profile/

To transfer to something very common like the midline 2015 Ibanez AS93, the current neck stats are very close in specs to original 1959 Gibson necks but a shade thinner. A 1958 neck is closer in higher frets to my 2006 Artcore, and RG and S necks fall closer to the 1960 Gibson neck being a tad thinner. Things like finish on back of neck can affect overall feel and a heavy, shiny poly or shiny nitro finish will make a thin neck feel slightly thicker and slower, and make a medium neck sometimes feel somewhat fat.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_h...=18&color=CL01

Last edited by 63Blazer; 03-03-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Tags
baseball bat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode