Guitars you should have bought when you had the chance? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Guitars you should have bought when you had the chance?

Ever missed out on a chance to buy a particular guitar and regretted it?

#1. A friend of mine had the most awesome early '90s Gibson SG Special. No pickup covers, no binding, only dot inlays, but it just had "it". Basic black with an unusually beautiful rosewood fretboard. It had '59 Les Paul Reissue pups and a '60s slim-taper neck with medium jumbo frets. It played/sounded better than all the other other SGs I have played.

He pretty much burned out of guitar playing in the mid '90s (like a lot of people discouraged by alterna-crap) and sold it at a huge loss. I even saw ithat same guitar AGAIN 3 years later at a music store for like $500 but I was broke. I wish I had borrowed some money and bought it. I have played a few SGs since then, but none have matched it.

#2 One of the major guitar ctalogs had a clearance sale on the mid '90s Charvel USA San Dimas Koa guitars. I figured I would pick one up some day, but then they stopped making them. Now people consider them collector guitars and they want very high prices used.

Moral of the story, don't deny yourself, you'll only regret it later. Just get another credit card!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 02:45 PM

1. Kona acoustic that was in a pawnshop about 2 hrs away. For my job i make deliverys to that city 2wice a week, and always on the way home i would stop and play that guitar for abou tan hour. It was only 125 bux but my got was it playable, and it had TONE for days. So i went to deliver and had decided to buy it, and i get there and its fo gone. sucked.

2. An ed roman custom steinberger with a Reb Beach body. It has wine red wiht a gorgeuos quilt top and a neck through maple body. the guy wanted 900 fo rit and turned it down, im an idiot. that guitar played and sounded better than anything i have ever played(granted the guy who bought it did all the electroinix himself die roman die)

3. Jackson rr3 pro beat ub used guitar that i played a couple imes in a guitar shop. best tuning stability of avy guitar ive ever played and its felt great and had "aura" should have dropped the 200 bux.

4. Gibson les paul that had bee re-topped with a AAA maple top and stained with a cherry wood stain and then tung oiled. Georgeous guitar and the guy only wanted 800 bux, i willl FOREVER miss that guitar.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 02:55 PM

There's a couple I regret letting slip through my fingers., but the one that haunts me still was a MINT condition Jem 10th that was at the local used git-box emporium for $2295 CANADIAN!! This was a few years back when that would add up to about $1500 US... I think Rich might have picked it up, but I had a chance at it before it went on their web site, and passed (WHAT was I thinking!?!)
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 12:05 AM

None. My problem is that I buy all the guitars I like. I have about 70 now... Thankfully, my only problem in the whole matter is space!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 12:13 AM

I passed on a D'Angelico New Yorker at $900 bucks back in 78 or so. Worth about 20 grand or so now.

jim
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 02:37 AM

for a while i wish I would have got teh Kurt Cobain jagstang or whatever it is. At local pawn shop in perfect condition for like $200....Now they make em again so Im glad I passed on it. I never see to many nice used guitars...usualy old beat jacksons..ibanez rgs that are beat and twisted with diff pickups or rusted floyd rose and rusty pups...I cant afford a Gibson les paul but wish I would have got the Epi Les Paul STD Refurb when they were only like $300
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 04:50 AM
dex

Well there was this time when Musicians friend had the 2002 7VSBL for $999 which was around £650 at the time and even with $120 shipping and the 22.5% hoopla we get on top of imported guitars it was going to be less than £900 and I didn't get one.
I let the fact that the shop didn't ship internationaly discourage me.

What an idiot.

ilia
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 07:28 AM

Well I let away a few actually. A £500 JEMDBK Several £400 RG3120s
All from the same person, he is a bit of a supplier.

But luckily he still gets them all the time :P So I will grab one or two in the near future!
Gary - The.Godfather
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
I passed on a D'Angelico New Yorker at $900 bucks back in 78 or so. Worth about 20 grand or so now.

jim

id still be kicking my ass for that!!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer096
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777

jim

id still be kicking my ass for that!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, it kills me sometimes to think about it. It had that nice tobacco sunburst, big headstock.... But, on the other hand, if I had gotten it I probably would have broken it or something stupid anyway. I'll get one of the new ones someday (I hope)
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 02:20 PM

Let's see...there was an ESP Kirk Hammett guitar for $300...I know it was ESP because they didn't have LTD versions of 'em back then. I was broke, though.

And I've seen several American Kramers go for next to nothing, but also at times when I had nothing...

I think I've even seen a Washburn EC-36 at one point.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 07:03 PM

2 come to mind...
A Jackson Stealth Pro from the early 90's. This wasn't an EX, but a real one, with ebony board, real maple flame (blueburst), and Schaller 590 trem. It didn't go for minimum bid of $250, and I saw it a couple hours before the auction end! He put it back up and I tried to snag it, but by then someone else had it. ARGH!

Also, an early 80's Kramer Pacer for $150 that was just like one I'd sold long ago.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 05:47 PM

Back in 1995 I had the opportunity to buy a brand new Jem BFP and a Jem GMC.

I was too young though, and not working. So my parents would have had to buy them. Unfortunately they weren't made of money.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch
Back in 1995 I had the opportunity to buy a brand new Jem BFP and a Jem GMC.

I was too young though, and not working. So my parents would have had to buy them. Unfortunately they weren't made of money.
In 1992 I bought a brand new Jem BFP (which i still have but it is not brand new now)...but I played a GMC in Guitar Center in San Francisco which I really should have bought as well as it was a good swirl
Doesnt matter now of course as I have a BMC which is better
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 07:39 PM

I think I should have bought a RG 2027 when I had the many chances. I still probably won't, but it's a cool guitar.

Tags
aaa maple , dot inlay , dot inlays , ebony board , epi les paul , floyd rose , gibson les paul , guitar playing , guitar shop , jem bfp , jem gmc , jumbo frets , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , kramer pacer , kurt cobain , les paul , medium jumbo frets , music store , pickup cover , rosewood fretboard , tobacco sunburst , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode