Guy ruins a perfectly good RG - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
dex

Guy ruins a perfectly good RG

to make a rather bizarre AK 47 guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLmKrXjTwIo

Not too sure what was the point behind putting strings and a humbucker on the magazine.

Here's a link to the guy's site, seems like he's been mangling guitars for a while now.

https://jimmy-diresta.squarespace.com/index/#/guitars/

There's a carved universe on his site as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 11:39 PM

Question Re: Guy ruins a perfectly good RG

Heya dex,

I think these guitars are cool, what's the problem?

Regards,

JP
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 12:04 AM

Re: Guy ruins a perfectly good RG

Pretty cool actually
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 AM

Reviews: 11

This guy is a ****ING IDIOT. Using a pencil to push through the bandsaw, bringing his finger fractions of an inch to the blade, jiggling the wood around when he should be using a rasp and sandpaper. Wearing his fake rolex while cutting.... guy is asking for serious trouble.

Sloppy work on the ak 47, though I think its a cool concept. The universe carve is VERY nice though.

Ok... I should finish the ENTIRE thing before critiquing... that trigger for the whammy bar is absolutely freaking awesome! haha. looks better painted as well...
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 01:36 AM

Ha ha ...pretty cool and yeah the whammy was a good idea.
Unfortunately it still sounds like the piece o crap Indo guitar it is,and more should have this happen to them.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 02:44 AM

That Universe is on Steve Vai's wall in the Harmony Hut.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...ge=13&#gallery

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...age=9&#gallery
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 02:48 AM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
Well... this didn't help m gas at all...
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 08:06 AM

why on earth would someone do that to a guitar, it cant possibly be playable now
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 09:17 AM

Looks great to me, that carving is not easy.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 09:57 AM

the red skull one is my fave.. with he controls on the upper horn. hard to watch him cut up that RG though..
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Why ruined?
Don't you know people have different tastes?
TO ME they're fugly but still guitars are just pieces of wood, some people transform them in art and thank God they do that cause we can have different things.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 10:49 AM

That is amazing work.

I sometimes like guitars plain factory stock, some with just aftermarket pickups, and some either painted up or even carved like the OP. It's all good and variety is the spice of life and it's good to have at least one of each which is my case. But the Harmony Hut thing is just over the top, especially since he has so many they are usually swapped out quite often. Steve should have built something along the lines of 5,000 square feet to display them all.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 06:16 PM

Guy is definitely talented, but I was never a fan of guitars like this. Also, he has the absolute worst safety habits I've seen as far as working around a saw. I spent most of the time just waiting for him to cut a finger off.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
This guy is a ****ING IDIOT. Using a pencil to push through the bandsaw, bringing his finger fractions of an inch to the blade, jiggling the wood around when he should be using a rasp and sandpaper. Wearing his fake rolex while cutting.... guy is asking for serious trouble.

Sloppy work on the ak 47, though I think its a cool concept. The universe carve is VERY nice though.

Ok... I should finish the ENTIRE thing before critiquing... that trigger for the whammy bar is absolutely freaking awesome! haha. looks better painted as well...
When you see it sped up like that, it looks far more dangerous than it really is. It has kind of a Keystone Cops type of action going there.

He has a command of a lot of artistic media, including metal work, which adds a very unique touch to his designs.

He doesn't seem to play guitar or understand the proper care of them thus the direct spray can spraying over the pickups and tremolo. But being a luthier or guitar tech is not his forte or focus, but being an artist and come up with creative ideas that luthiers and guitar techs will never think of.

Now if the guy was a guitar tech and player, the smart thing to do would be to make a proper poly or nitro gold finish, put gold pickup covers over the pickups, and add other already gold plated hardware. By spray painting the project, and keeping it kind of rough, it does lend to a wild, artistic piece of art and not a specifically planned gun guitar from a factory which would probably be very boring. He's not the type of artist Fender would use for a calendar guitar, but more of an artist that would be called upon on a high budget Hollywood production to make unique props that don't look like they are using conventional guitar parts. For instance, if I was George Lucas or Steven Spielberg and I wanted somebody to make alien weapons for a movie, I would use him and not a big name gun maker. If I wanted to make alien costumes from a different galaxy and wildly different culture and depict it in a production, I would use somebody like him and not Vera Wang or Tommy Hilfiger.

He's doing it exactly the way an artist should and if you want sterile and controlled for a large scale run of gun guitars, then contact ESP or BC Rich, who would never build a one of a kind guitar with those exact methods. Only an artist or appreciator of art will understand this guy.

My wife and I make one of a kind skateboards and use materials normally called upon by fine artists and not by factories. Anybody can take a design to be put on a skateboard and have a factory air brush them en masse in a factory in China. But fewer people can actually have the skill, and time, to make boards one at a time and hand paint them in a fashion more appropriate to canvas, but rather put them on skateboards priced closer to art, and not the typical air brushed deal over at Target or Wal Mart. There are customers for both original hand painted skateboards and mass produced air brushed skateboards and they both have their place. This guy's guitars can be used but I would rather have it be the centerpiece of a room much like a fine sculpture.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 04-30-2013 at 07:39 PM.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
Sure his isn't a replica of that? Colors look a little different.

The AK47 isn't for me, and I don't know why he even bothered to start with an existing body considering how little was left when he was done (to save cutting the neck pocket...?) but to each their own.

Tags
universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode