Is This Guy Trying To Run A Scam? (Custom Jem Auction) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Is This Guy Trying To Run A Scam? (Custom Jem Auction)

Aight....this guy had a custom jem up for auction and his rating is 100% (but only from 1 previous auction) so Im thinking hey this should go smooth

I win the auction at starting bid price (I guess he was expecting more ppl to bid) and now its like he is trying to scam me

he writes me

"Hello, I have a big problem with paypal. The way they are doing business is a bunch of crap, so I have a deal for you. If you can stop this echeck transaction, and send a moey order, I'll send you the guitar for $300 and I'll pay for shipping. Paypal has lost thier minds the way they are doing business, not to mention paypal is owned by ****. Did you know you can not put an ad on **** without using paypal. If you put in your ad, "no paypal" **** will pull the ad, that is bull crap. My email address is *******@aol.com or *****@al.com. Please let me know."

What does that have to do with my auction? he already knew how **** works ahead of time.... now asking for a money order instead trying to get me to bite by lowering the price? No way man, If I send money order & he dont send item then im screwed with no refund... so i tell him I can only do paypal cuz is the only safe way to do it..

then he writes me and says

"paypal also told me that after the check clears, they still hold the funds until you send back a positive feedback on ****. meaning not until you get your item. So if you get it and don't like it, I'm screwed."

thats a load of crap, I even called paypal and they confirmed they dont hold funds until positive feedback is left.... what is this guy on??

He should have set a reserve, its not my fault i won at starting bid price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 04:43 PM

Re: Is This Guy Trying To Run A Scam? (Custom Jem Auction)

Do not- I repeat- do NOT go through with this purchase. Most definitely a scam. Always better safe than sorry.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Banned

sounds like hes just sick because you got the guitar at a knock down price.its his own fault should of had a reserve on.just report him to evilbay.i had a same kinda thing few months ago.i bought a tv remote this one was £30 in the shops i got it for 99p.i didnt recive the remote,sellers says she deffo posted it.i phoned her house 3 times fobbed off each time,or er shes out ill get her to ring you (never did) sent her emails,all ignored.finally after i reported her to **** she emailed me offering a refund so i agreed,and guess what refund not recived.your wasting your time reporting them to evilbay as they do absolutly diddley nothing what soever.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 05:29 PM

Wow.. He says

"paypal also told me that after the check clears, they still hold the funds until you send back a positive feedback on ****. meaning not until you get your item. So if you get it and don't like it, I'm screwed."

That is the stupidest **** I have ever heard!

Jaysus!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan350DX View Post
Wow.. He says

That is the stupidest **** I have ever heard!

Jaysus!
But true...

"A payment hold for an **** item occurs when PayPal temporarily holds a payment you receive for an item you sold on ****. PayPal notifies you of the hold in the Payment Received email, and also marks the status of the transaction as 'On Hold - Ship Now'. The payment will show as 'Pending' in your Pending balance on PayPal.

PayPal will hold payments in transactions where the vast majority of seller fraud occurs. Here are the most common instances in which a payment may be held:

* You have been on **** less than six months and sell an item above £50
* You have a feedback score of less than 98% and sell an item above £50
* More than 5% of your transactions result in dissatisfied buyers*
* You have an average Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) of 4.5 or less
* You have received less than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings
* You are listing your item in a higher-risk category which include gift certificates, video games, mobile phones, computers, and consumer electronics

PayPal will not hold payments for **** items if you meet the following criteria:

* You have been an **** member for more than 6 months, and
* Your total Feedback score is greater than 100, and
* Fewer than 5% of your transactions result in dissatisfied buyers*

Or

* Your average DSR is greater than 4.5, and
* Your have received more than 20 DSRs in the last 12 months
* Your buyer dissatisfaction percentage is less than 5%

* Buyer dissatisfaction percentage is measured by adding negative events as a percentage of your transactions. Negative events include negative and neutral Feedback, Detailed Seller Ratings scores of 2 or less, and Item Not Received or Significantly Not As Described disputes.

We recommend that you post the item once the buyer sends the initial payment. This will enable the buyer to leave positive feedback, which in turn will increase the likelihood of the funds being released sooner."
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

DEF. A SCAM!!

The mailing address he gave me for the money order was in S. Carolina, his **** says Virginia

& My buddies @ another site pointed out that its a CHIBANEZ!!!

I canceled the transaction!!

thanks guys for your responces

A mod can delete or close this now.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Vendor

What was the auction number?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Auction # 320329005714

its a fake floral (you guys can call it out quick but im new to this guitar stuff so i didnt catch it)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Vendor

Not sure how I missed that one, but every now and then one will slip through.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Yea... if that is true about paypal holding the money til I approve of item sent, maybe I should have went thru with it... & gave that guitar to my nephew & got my refund. This guy needs to learn a lesson. As long as that guitars in his hands He's gonna just repost it and try to screw someone else over
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:10 PM
DJR

if he is a scammer, then so be it.... but I have to agree with being more than a little anti paypal myself. It is far too pro-buyer (not to mention pro-****-profiteering). I witnessed first hand a friend of mine getting stung by a buyer claiming he did not receive the goods, and despite my buddy having total proof of shipment via registered special delivery that had been signed for, paypal still debited his account to the tune of £500+ and wouldn't budge. Fortunately he transfered the funds to his own bank account prior to the claim so he ended up abandoning the paypal account and telling paypal to get the police involved, to which they never did.... so the account still remains -£500+. Paypal wouldn't do a thing for the seller, despite the buyer being the scammer. I get REALLY nervous about using **** these days, and it's all down to paypal. Great if you're a buyer, but as a seller, forget it. I'd rather pay for my own merchant credit card facility than trust what is effectively a bunch of IT guys trying to run a banking system.

I also listed my mesa 2:90 on evilbay last week, and stated cash on collection, local pickup only, and "no paypal", and of course, paypal cancelled my auction for not accepting paypal, even though it was collection only. The whole deal with **** and paypal stinks, big time. A good thing ruined by sheer corporate greed. As for **** and their rediculous endless policies.... Richard Branson, hurry with a competitor already! paypalsucks.com great site.

Sorry to rant... but it does get my blood boiling.

Also, to be fair to the seller of that fake floral.... he does state what it is and doesn't claim that it's an Ibanez Jem. So no offence, but that one really is down to buyer awareness rather than him trying to scam. However, clever use of the Vai picks! Ironic that Ibanez was pretty much built during the 60's and 70's on fake copies
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 08:05 PM

it is clearly stated in his listing that it is a fake, in fact he goes on a rant abouyt how **** kept pulling the ad because it was a copy and he put ibanez in the title. theres no way i would have bought that. the horns look off as well

Last edited by dimefan90; 01-10-2009 at 01:35 AM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 12:44 AM

Don't go through with this auction, save yourself the $300 and buy a real Ibanez with the same amount of money. If the guy leaves you neg feedback you can dispute that the guitar is a fake and violation of Ibanez, and I'm sure Rich will back you up on that.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 12:27 PM

Well, he did put "this is a copy of a popular brand" in the first sentence.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
Well, he did put "this is a copy of a popular brand" in the first sentence.
it doesn't matter, clearly its still marked as an Ibanez, and it still has a Monkey Grip and Lions Claw which are clear violations of Ibanez.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode