Guys! I need some urgent advice! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Guys! I need some urgent advice!

So I'm buying a new guitar used, off a local trade site. Here are the two of the choices which have caught my eye:

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classifi...0-LTD_14387654 It comes with original hard case, and all parts, including old pu's, and apparently some extras. Maybe strap / capo, idk. He wants 570$ for it, and hes holding it for me only 2 more days, which is why i need advice!

Second choice:

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classifi...ature_14390415
This one is asking a firm 650$, comes with a hardshell case, but not the original case.

I believe the S540 is basically mint, while the godin has a small dent on the bottom. Give me your input guys! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 01:56 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Guys! I need some urgent advice!

Both guitars look nice, but if it were my choice I'd go with the S540. Not just because its an Ibanez, but also, its going to be more versatile and you have the newer pup's installed. I'd try to get him down on the price though as think that's a little high.

Being able to play it before buying it is a huge benefit, but if you can't do that, at least get a return policy from the seller, like 3-4 days from the time you receive it. You never know what kind of problems you can run into. The most common one is fret wear. If there are any low spots you're looking at at least $100 for a fret leveling.

Good luck!
Danny
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I'd go with #1

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I'd go with #1
Same here.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Why do you guys think I should go for 1??? I'll be with either of the guitars by the end of the day, so i need help! thanks for your help,
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 04:16 PM

I've never picked up a Godin so I'm useless there but I can give you some good reasons to get the S540. The S540 is a VERY versatile guitar. The HSH+5 way gives you enough pickup combinations to play almost anything. The Lo-Pro is my favorite Ibanez trem so I'm a little baised there. The neck on the S is a little rounder but still thin and fast so you can shred on it all day long but aren't limited either. The Duncan JB and Jazz combo is a pretty good all-round combination and should cover a wide variety of sounds/styles. Overall, it's going to be a very comfortable, versatile, and light (they're pretty thin) guitar. I do agree with Ripkord on the price though.

If you want more detailed info, you'll have to tell us what you're really looking for and what style you play?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 04:19 PM

Reviews: 10

Hey there, I see you're only a short BC Ferry ride away from me ;o) Those are both nice guitars - is there any way can you afford both? ...lol...

I love Ibanez guitars but I've played the high end Godin guitars and the lg signature model is an excellent guitar! Canadian made with high quality components. I would actually respectfully disagree with an earlier post that says the S540 would be more versatile because I believe you will get just as wide a variety of sounds out of the Godin - if not more...just different sounds than the S540. The Godin will also likely have a brighter sound. The lg signature model has Duncan pickups in it too and also has a 5-way switch to give you a wide variety of sounds.

They are quite different guitars - fixed bridge vs trem...what kind of music do you play? If you're into classic rock and a variety of styles then I think the Godin is a better choice but if you're looking for a hard rock/metal guitar with a trem then I think the S540 might get you closer to that sound.

With all that said, I think you would have a harder time finding a Godin lg sig model for $600 than you will finding a S540 for $570...so I believe you are actually getting a better deal with the Godin...

Personally, not to go against the grain here, but I think I would go with the Godin because I think you're getting a higher end guitar for the price....BUT at the end of the day I think it depends on what kind of music you play and what kind of sound you're going to going for...

Your thoughts?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

I will go for the Godin actually. Thanks mate, i appreciate it. Thanks everyone.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 04:46 PM

Reviews: 11

While you are getting a better deal on the Godin, there is should be some wiggle room there for the s540. Offer him 400. He says no, then get the Godin.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Hes not going for any less on the s540, so the godins a done deal.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 04:51 PM

Reviews: 10

Let us know how it goes...maybe post some pics too )
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

I will try! thanks guys!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 08:02 PM

I'd get the 540. I have 2. I'm a huge fan of the natural mahogany too.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 12:17 AM

It's no contest, S540LTD SOL All the way.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Reviews: 15

Wow, $600. I bought a used S470 from CL for $180. I stripped it, and it looks and plays killer. I'm not sure I would pay $600 for another one. But that's just me. Maybe I should put mine up there for $550 and buy 3 more. Start a stripped S series business.

Tags
godin lg signature , s540

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode