H H vs. H S H setup - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

H H vs. H S H setup

i'm thinking of http://ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp...=RGT42DXFM&z=y and Ibanez RG 2550EGK. I'm learning towards the RGT because I like the smooth feel of the neck/body transition. But this always bothers me. Which setup has better overall sound? Double Humbucker setup w/o the single coil, or the Double Humbucker setup w/ the single coil in between. As for dimarzio pickups vs. ibz pickups, I don't care because I will replace them anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 04:43 AM

Re: H H vs. H S H setup

That RGT42 looks stunning... uh-oh, GAS attack...

It depends on what sounds you want. Do you want a thinner, almost "strat-esque" sound for clean work? Or do you just want to crank it with plenty of overdrive? Consider whether you would use the single coil or not, too.

I own the RG2550, I highly recommend it. It's a brilliant guitar and although you mention changing the pickups the standard Dimarzios do sound good. However, if you prefer the feel of the through-neck, then go for that.

Hope this is of some help to you!

Cheers

Smithy
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 04:56 AM

i think it's on personal tastes. my favorite setup is H/S, but if i had to choose i'll prefer H/S/H over H/H, cause the positions 2 and 4 are simply great for Strat-esque sounds. and the single-coil gets the sound palette way wider, you can get funky in a snap. but aesthetically-wise i hate the single-coil cause it looks bad to me (i dont like to have too many stuff in there) and it's on my way while i pick.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Dee

I'm the same as Nuno -- H/S is my preferred config, and being an RG man I like how a H/S/H works, but then again the single coil ALWAYS gets on my nerves because it gets in the way of the pick.

I just bought an RG3120DR. It's a H/H config, and I have never owned an RG like this, but I understand that it's still possible to get stratty tones from it. I don't know until it arrives (currently shipping). From the reviews I've read it seems that a H/H config can get good strat-like sounds depending on how it's wired. Whatever, solutions can be found by replacing pickups, and I say you should go for any guitar despite the config if you really like the rest of the guitar. Single coil-like sounds can be had from double coil pickups such as the Humbucker From Hell (Dimarzio). It may not be 100% convincing, but I think it's possible to get a sound that is perfectly usable. Just figure it out later! That's what I'll do with my RG3120.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:11 AM

I prefer H/H myself. With proper wiring, you can still get some solid single coil sounds from such a setup and besides, the right neck humbucker will sound perfectly fine clean even without coil tapping or parallel wiring. I can see the notion of more flexibility from having the single in there, but I don't find myself using positions 2-4 on either my Jem or my RG550 often at all. Meanwhile, I will use those positions on my RG520 and RG7620, so there's that.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:16 AM

I like the 2 and 4 positions on a 550 a lot more than on a 520. I say HSH. more pickups = more tone.

unless you just do hard riffing and neck soloing.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Dee

Just for the record, on a H/S/H it's all about position 2 (neck & middle) for me, that's what I use most of the time, I love that souped-up Jimi-ish sound!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:43 AM

dee, can you believe they locked my 540PII thread?

I didn't know what they meant by the 3bay rule. I guess I'm lucky I'm not suspended.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Dee

Aww man, that sucks! But rules are rules I guess. I still think it's silly not to allow threads like the one you posted.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 04:56 PM

I personally like the S/S/H setup of guitars like the RG-760, Soloist SL1 and Charvel Model 6. It's such a great config for modding a guitar; you can do so much and get so many sounds.

And if anyone is unsure of any of the rules, they ain't exactly hidden!
http://www.jemsite.com/faq.htm

jim
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 06:56 PM

Reviews: 1

I like the straight ahead simplicity of the HH config, but since picking up a couple HSH RG models, I've got to say I'm lovin that config, especially for the 2 and 4 positions, very Hendrix and PG sounding.....
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:00 PM

H-H + megaswitch + coil tap = awesome !!!!

much better than all my other H-S-H guitars !!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Dee

EYB Megaswitch is cool.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisshredding
H-H + megaswitch + coil tap = awesome !!!!

much better than all my other H-S-H guitars !!
You're welcome

yup, i was about to post that... you can get a sh*tload of sounds out of two 4 wire humbuckers...

If you want to go HSH for the strat tones, dont bother... strat tones only come out of strats...
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 08:07 AM

HH with Ibanez' 5-way switching is the best setup for pickups I've come across. The middle pickup always gets in the way for me (and I don't like the look of it except on models with a scratchplate), but I love split-coil/parallel wired sounds. Stratty enough for me, really.

Tags
amp settings , charvel model , coil pickup , coil tap , coil tapping , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , john petrucci , neck humbucker , strat tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode