Haha, I hate when GAS attacks - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Haha, I hate when GAS attacks

Well, I currently own an RG350.
It is a very fine guitar, but I WANT (I want, but I dont need ) something better.

I am currently looking at 6 different guitars:

The RG1550/1570
The RG3570/3550
The RG2550/2570
The RG770DX
The Jackson DK2M
The ESP Horizon II FR

I live in Portugal, our currency is in Euros, but if I buy one of these guitars, I will order online, most probably from dv247.com

My dillema:
Should I get the RG1550/1570?

It is relatively cheap, (700 euros or so, on guitare playback).
It has a Basswood body (The same as my RG350), but it has an Edge Pro, and is a Prestige guitar.
If i get this guitar, I will change the pickups to a Air Norton / Tone Zone Combo.

The RG2550 (I can get this for 800/900 euros)
The same as the RG1550/1570, but it has DMZ/IBZ pickups, a different neck, and whatnots...
I would change them to the AN/TZ combo too, so I guess the RG2550 is a NO GO.
(I would be paying more and I would get the same)

The RG3550 (I Cant find this guitar for Sale in europe ANYWHERE )
This seems to be a very fine guitar, and GUESS WHAT? It already has the Air Norton and Tone zone pickup combo, so that eases things up a little bit
But it has the Edge0, which a ton of people here seem to hate...

The ESP Horizon II FR:

I know it isnīt an Ibanez guitar, so dont kill me

haha, I simple love the body, the neck, it has some fine pickups, ORIGINAL Floyd Rose, it is Japanese made, etc...
It costs about 1400 euros, it is a bit expensive, but right now, I am looking for a "High-End" guitar that will last for the rest of my life, so I guess that getting this would cut the GAS off hahaha

The Jackson DK2M:
It has an Alder Body, Seymore Duncan Pickps, Floyd Rose (dunno if it is a licensed one, or a original), People say it has a think neck, etc...
It costs about 500 euros NEW... it is the cheapest of the 6 guitars that I posted, and it has some very fine specs...

What I am looking for in a guitar:

Kick ass playabilty, Nice sound, great sustain, thin neck, etc... (low action?)

I know that the price range is very different (500 euros to 1500 lol), but I am looking for something that is Good, and fits my needs.

The RG1570 seems to be a very fine guitar, and with the AN/TZ combo, it will probably be at the same level as the ESP, no?

The RG2550 seems to be a fine guitar also, but I guess that it is not worth it

The RG3550 seems to have all that I want, but It has the Edge0 tremolo that every one complains

ESP: haha lol, is it worth it to shell out 1500 euros on this guitar???

Jackson: Price vs Performance king?

Well, sorry for such a long text, I hope that I used acceptable grammar, etc... thus I am Portuguese, and, well, English is not my first Language.

Thank you for all your future answers, I hope that this is just GAS speaking, but I will probably end up getting a better guitar than my RG350 somewhere in a near future, and I dont want to have the feeling:

"Damn, with x Euros more I could have something much better..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 11:39 AM

Re: Haha, I hate when GAS attacks

The RG1550/1570 with AN/TZ is the best choice in my opinion.
If you want to spend less you can search also a used RG550/770 and swap the pickups.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Banned

Go for the ESP. It'll get you over your GAS, for now, after that, to appese the Ibanez Gods, Get a JEM.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MKK_ View Post
The RG1550/1570 with AN/TZ is the best choice in my opinion.
If you want to spend less you can search also a used RG550/770 and swap the pickups.
Thank you very much for your answer
I also thought about that, but I cant find any RG550 here in Portugal haha

I researched a bit more, and found this Horizon II Like Jackson:

Jackson SL3MG

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/jackson...natural--66201

OFR, EMGS, Neck thru, etc... and it costs 1100 euros, what do you guys think?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I think most folks here will point you in the direction of an RG.

I think the most important thing is that you need to trythe different body shapes even if not the exact guitars.

Once you've tried the Horizon body shape you'll be in a better position to decide.

My own view would be that if you're looking at the RG, then and ESP MII would be a more comparable guitar to the RG than the Horizon is.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 08:17 PM

Reviews: 2

Buy all of them and return the ones you like least.

(What do you think the full refund guarantee return policy is for )
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:52 PM

I'd love an ESP Horizon II NT, but they're so expensive...

IMO the RG3550 is a bit overpriced...of course that's partly due to this year's price hike. But $300+ for real Dimarzios? You can buy a used 2550 and change the pickups yourself and save ALOT of money.

I love my RG2550Z...the neck is awesome. It's got the :gasp: Edge Zero. You'll find haters of every floating trem. Just a few years ago everyone seemed to hate the Edge Pro, and now it's widely accepted as a great trem...go figure.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I think most folks here will point you in the direction of an RG.

I think the most important thing is that you need to trythe different body shapes even if not the exact guitars.
Right.
If you find comfortable the shape and the palyabilty of your rg350 then buying a Made in Japan/Prestige RG is the best choice.
My first guitar was a Korean RG270, when I've bought an used RG550 I was blown away.
If you find a used 550/570 you can buy a Great guitar with a reasonable price, once you swap the pickups.
Speaking about the Prestige if you planned to swap the pickups my advice is again to go with the 1570/1550 (maybe used to save some money)
With a RG1550/70 you'll have a great bridge (Edge pro), a ultra thin neck (wizard) and a comfrortable body shape, IMO you'll have nothing less in quality than a lot of more expensive guitars.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your answers

Well, I am pointing myself to the RG1550M

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ibanez-...pumpkin--60850

But it is a bit expensive, but since I don't own the money to buy any of these guitars, when I have it, the price might be a bit lower.

My only problem is that living in Portugal, I dont have many music stores to go out and experiment the guitars.

A friend of mine bought a used RG570, it has some "kicks" (dunno the expression in English) on the headstock, but other than that, it is in perfect condition.

I saw a used RG550 selling for 350€, but it had some "kicks" too, but on the body, headstock, etc...

I prefer buying a new guitar, and do the history on the guitar by myself (if you understand what I mean).

Haha does Rich ship to Portugal?

Maybe he could get me an RG1550/1570 and set it up perfectly

I guess that I need to PM him x)
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:04 AM

Reviews: 4

You'll pay around €300 in taxes and P&P.
Anyway, are you selling that RG570?

EDIT:
BTW, where do you hear people complaining about the Edge zero?

Last edited by Crazy_Guitar; 11-09-2009 at 11:14 AM.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 03:15 PM

Original RG570s can be had fairly cheaply, and they are outstanding instruments.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 03:41 PM

I have an RG3550MZ, and it's brilliant. It plays just as well as my JEM. Honestly, I didn't like the Tone Zone and changed the pickups to Bare Knuckle Nailbombs.

The bridge is great, especially when you have to adjust intonation. It's been rock solid - even better after I removed the ZPS bar. The bridge height adjustment knob on the back is also another time saver.

I have to say I wouldn't pay retail for it though. I got mine for $1,160.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 01:44 AM

if you don't use trem much, and don't plan on learning to use it much, go with the jackson. the reason i say this is because the trems on the DK2s are decent at best and wont hold tune as well as any of the ibanez's if you're doing a lot of whammying. that being said, the DK2 comes with seymour duncans stock which are much better than what's on the 1550/2550. after that, it would just be the feel of the neck that would sway you one way or the other. if you don't want the jackson and can't drop the dime on the esp/3550, go with the 1550 and do a pickup swap.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 08:31 AM

Any of the guitars you have listed are a good buy.

The DK2M is particularly good value for money. I bought one last year, never regretted it, lovely sounding and playing guitar. The neck is thicker than an RG but I still find it very comfy to play.

'87
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Once again, thank you all for your answers, I don't have Internet at my place atm, so I didnt reply earlier...

Well, I compared the Horizon II FR with the Jackson Soloist 3 EMG

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/jackson...natural--66201

They seem pretty comparable in specs, both are Japanese Made, this guitar has EMGs and an Original Floyd Rose, but the ESP might have a thinner neck, but still, its a 500€ difference...

I still need to gather more money though, maybe next year or so...
Even the RG1570 is a bit far away from my current money ammount ī

EDIT:

I am really interested on that Jackson model that I posted earlier...
The SL3MG.
I am interested in the neck, it is a neck thru, the scale is the same as my RG and the other RGs, but I dont know if the neck is equally thin, thinner, or thicker. Can anyone clear me on this one?

Thank you all

Last edited by JoaoFX; 11-11-2009 at 08:52 AM.

Tags
dimarzio , esp , guitar , ibanez , jackson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode