Hamer One Piece Maple cap one piece body - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Hamer One Piece Maple cap one piece body

Hi.

Now that prices are rising on the old USA Hamer Special and Sunburst it`s probably best I tell ya that old Hamer USA guitars have a one piece body and one piece top. I keep seeing ebay auctions etc saying the have a book-matched maple cap. they don't, its a one piece top 3/4 of an inch thick.

now grab all those pre 1884 Hamers before they go nuts.
if Hamer only had 9 staff total until 1985, one to answer the phone, one to make the coffee etc they probably only had about 4 or 5 guys actually making the guitars. if they only made 450 inked serial number Specials, standards and sunbursts, that's not that many of each model floating around today.

anyone who owns an old hamer will tell you how good they are. the action can be lowered to within a micrometre of the frets, the necks align perfectly, they have excellent upper fret access and sound truly amazing.

in an old 1970`s interview with one of the Hamer guys the question asked is " how can you expect to compete with Gibson when you charge nearly twice as much " the answer given was " we are not competing with what Gibson makes now, we are competing with what Gibson made in the 1950`s "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 01:54 AM

Re: Hamer One Piece Maple cap one piece body

Hamers are not going to shoot up in value because they aren't anything original.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Hamers are not going to shoot up in value because they aren't anything original.
ha! trolling my fifth post, nice one.

are you familiar with the three early Hamer models?
or the Prototype? etc etc
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 11:06 PM

I happen to own ALL of the pre-1884 Hamers. I keep them in my sock drawer too.

On a serious note, I LOVE Hamers, and they would still be around if they hadn't ditched the boomer loaded USA Californians to concentrate on models like the Newport, Monaco, and every other upscale double cut Artist (triple threat, Custom, etc.)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

I agree, they should have just kept on with what they were good at. the "vintage Modern" lark put them up against PRS when PRS was establishing there own take on furniture guitars. the beauty of the 1977 to 1983 hamers were there simplicity and construction. looks were taken care of already with maple tops and fantastic finishes, stuff PRS were copying IMO then to turn around after a spell at making arguably the beefiest shredder guitars of the 80`s next to Ibanez and ESP and reinvent what they had already mastered in a context of aged fenders and pricy plastic dipped PRSi was a fatal mistake
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG420 View Post
ha! trolling my fifth post, nice one.

are you familiar with the three early Hamer models?
or the Prototype? etc etc
I'm not trolling, they will be worthless in 20 years. Nobody under 40 cares about Hamer, at all. Sorry buddy.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
I'm not trolling, they will be worthless in 20 years. Nobody under 40 cares about Hamer, at all. Sorry buddy.
Like I said, I LOVE Hamers, but I think this is possibly true. they won't be worthless but the demand just isn't there except from the super die-hards. I hope to get a Les Paul Jr. style P90 Hamer in the future, as I know it will be better than a Gibson, but a Heritage would also be better than a Gibson.

Only my opinion, but -
Ibanez made respected shred guitars in the 80's, still make them, and are doing fine.
Jackson made respected shred guitars in the 80's, still make them, and are doing fine.
Hamer made respected shred guitars in the 80's, stopped making them, and are gone.

Obligatory old pic of Jim's guitars-

But, if you really love Hamers, Mike Shishkov is making guitars, and he was THE GUY at Hamer for the last decade or so before they went under. Check him out, though I believe custom order one offs are all that are currently available.

http://www.shishkovguitars.com/about
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

yea I forgot Jackson in my initial post.

fair comment, after it sunk in, I thought because we are living "post internet" then what ever guitar company spends the most time marketing will be the ultimate winner.
pre internet it all came down to the actual item in hand. the quality one was holding drew the sharp inhale of breath on a cold Wednesday morning in a guitar shop. now people can order guitars un-played based on colour or desired finish.
the scarcity of old Gibsons and old fenders in the early 80`s fuelled the first collector rush on old "vintage" guitars. facts were hard to come by back then, some in the know knew how many Explorers and how many Les Pauls were made in the 50`s and how many early fenders were produced. these were the desired collectables pre internet. some of the production numbers were extremely low and the hunt was on for a good example that hadn't been modified. as we drifted into the 90`s suddenly there were bucket loads of Vintage L series fenders around many of which were restored originals or fakes.
which brings me to today, my original point in regards to the inked serial numbered Hamers, if there really was only 450 made then there has to be a rise in price and there is. a standard on ebay was up at 5K, there is a Special on Ebay now for 3K.
back to Jackson for a sec: after Fender bought Jackson and Hamer, fender cheapend the brand by producing substandard cheep balsa wood guitars in Asia. two of the worst guiatsr I have ever played were and Indian made Jackson and a Chinese made Hamer.
I cant understand how Fender and Gibson keep there brand so respected when if we look at both company's history or are old enough to remember the stuff they were producing in the late 60`s - 70`s then in reality those two companies are two of the worst most lacklustre profit driven careless mass-produced utter garbage guitar makers in history.
yet, every kid on the net wants a les paul. even when its said the current guitars they lust over have veneer fretboards, or the fretboards come ready made in cardboard boxes or the parts are assembled in production line facilities, none of this seems to matter to the post internet generation.
my prediction is: once the vale of marketing wears off and people realise that its all about tone I reckon some of the older American made guitars will up in value.
stuff like an old American Jackson neck through or older pre 1980 BC Rich, pre 84 Hamer, that's the stuff dreams are made of. just like a pre 62 fender or a pre 61 Gibson.
some of the best made stuff available in my opinion.
one of the companies I believe are scared of this happening to them is ESP. once people realise that the 1980`s ESP guitars are totally KILLER they may drift onto the second hand market. ESP have intentionally obscured there history in an effort to keep relevant and modern, the company lives in a vacuum. if you have an old ESP then sorry but back then there were no records... if you have an old 48 street custom guitar then sorry but there are no records of production, esp have a new factory in the USA, first one ever they say, but the old catalogues from 1981 have two factory addresses in the USA. Ron wood finds his telly in Tokyo, "really?" and Kirk finds his in "Tokyo" but the interview with Kirk states in 1991 that he had them made at 48 street in the mid to late 80`s.
all this is just fluff really because at the rate of brand polishing ESP are doing no one will be able to read the past because the future is coming at them at lightning speed.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
yea I forgot Jackson in my initial post.

fair comment, after it sunk in, I thought because we are living "post internet" then what ever guitar company spends the most time marketing will be the ultimate winner.
pre internet it all came down to the actual item in hand.
No it didn't. Pre-internet it came down to how many people wanted to justify their expensive purchases made almost blind, by telling their friends how amazing those guitars were even if they were complete dogs.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

pre internet sight unseen guitars we sourced via the classified section in mags like guitar player, for this reason you are right GuitarBizarre, these purchase for sure would have evoked such emotion, I imagine the need to justify expensive purchases would happen more often post internet though. these days the definition of "Vintage/Rare/Collectable is conjured up at the will of the seller.
as many guitars are bought sight un-played if you will and history has been kind to fender and gibson.
as well as the fantastic stuff mentioned above coming out of the USA in the 80`s which I believe is way more scarce than the fenders and gibsons of that time frame I believe the Ibanez guitars from about 1976 to say 1981 are also excellent and infinitely collectable.
the Concert, the Studio, the Musician, and the super detailed high end versions of the Artist and normal Artist are amazing guitars.
then there's the stuff made in the late 80`s. getting really hard to find these days
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 03:29 PM

Wow, Jim is that a solid flame maple guitar or just a really thick top? Absolutely gorgeous. What's the info on that guitar?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
pre internet sight unseen guitars we sourced via the classified section in mags like guitar player, for this reason you are right GuitarBizarre, these purchase for sure would have evoked such emotion, I imagine the need to justify expensive purchases would happen more often post internet though. these days the definition of "Vintage/Rare/Collectable is conjured up at the will of the seller.
as many guitars are bought sight un-played if you will and history has been kind to fender and gibson.
as well as the fantastic stuff mentioned above coming out of the USA in the 80`s which I believe is way more scarce than the fenders and gibsons of that time frame I believe the Ibanez guitars from about 1976 to say 1981 are also excellent and infinitely collectable.
the Concert, the Studio, the Musician, and the super detailed high end versions of the Artist and normal Artist are amazing guitars.
then there's the stuff made in the late 80`s. getting really hard to find these days
The internet didn't change people's need to justify spending money. It just provided plenty of ways to research what you're buying.

Also, are you trying to imply that "Vintage/collectible" had a concrete meaning pre-1980s? I'm pretty sure it didn't.

Hell, you yourself just described Ibanez guitars from 76-81 as collectible. I could easily argue they aren't. Desirable yes but they're not an appreciating investment, and for a lot of people that defines collectible.

Frankly, you're not talking much sense here. You've shown up with no posts under your belt and are telling people you know everything about everything to do with these guitars. You don't seem to be taking onboard that this forum has plenty of very knowledgable people, some of whom have pointed out that they disagree with you already.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

oh, I wasn't really disagreeing with anyone. I'm just discussing old guitars. I haven't refuted anything anyone has said, I don't believe I`m being argumentative. I`m not sure why you have a problem with anything I`ve said.
I agree there are knowledgeable people here, I`ve been a lurker for many years.
you have a right to disagree as I do.
I believe some of the old Ibanez guitars are collectable, you may not. so what?
I know that one particular Ibanez from the early 70`s has a production number of only 25
would that make it collectable to you, if there were only 25 made?
we obviously have a different opinion on what is collectable and what isn't.
You are right in what you say anyway, I was trying to add on to what you had said about people buying guitars pre internet. my memory of buying used guitars is people buying them from the local guitar shop. by your reply you stated that people bought them sight unseen and then had to justify there purchase, or that's what I understood. so yea, talking about completely different things really.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Wow, Jim is that a solid flame maple guitar or just a really thick top? Absolutely gorgeous. What's the info on that guitar?
2 piece solid flame maple body. My brother bought it somewhere in NY for $1100, and lent it to me. then about 6 months later, he calls and says "I sold that Hamer for $2800 so I need it back" It was a great 6 months though, it was my favorite of those 3 guitars, though they were all amazing.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

sounds like it was sold sight unseen

damn that's nice.

Tags
hamer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode