Hamer Opnions... - Rick Neilsen's guitars, not the tool... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Hamer Opnions... - Rick Neilsen's guitars, not the tool...

I have never owned a Hamer but have always lusted after them. Ever since seeing Rick Neilsen with his Hamers I've always thought there is something good about them. Not too long ago I was able to trade a pretty nice Ibanez for a pretty nice Hamer (Thanks Rodney!!). And all I can say is WOW!! Mine is a nice Mirage. Honduras Mahogany back with a seriuos flame maple top done up in a honey finish. Wilkinson trem and Semour Duncan pickus. Very nice. Rivals every Les Paul I've ever owned (I've had 5). Some serious chunk to this baby...

But I've noticed that Hamer is kind of a secret to guitarist out there. Doesn't seem like they have the following as say Gibson or Fender. They smoke Gibson and Fender in my opnion. So why is Hamer not in the same market as those, and other, manufactures? Any Jemsiter's ever owned one? What do you think? Just wondering...

(Oh yeah, I call it HAM-ER, like the tool. But I'm always corrected by people saying it's pronounced HAY-MER. I don't care, HAM-ER sounds much cooler)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 12:12 AM

Hamer Opnions...

I've had two Hamers. A really nice Centura, which was used by Tommy Shaw (same model, not the actual guitar) when he was in Damn Yankees. A black & white graphite paint job, original Floyd, and HSS Duncans. Great guitar. Unfortunately it was stolen from a club I was playing in Tuscon last winter.

:shoot:

I recently picked up a Hamer Phantom GT Glenn Tipton model. It's the black super strat with a Kahler you always see him playing. Also a great guitar, but the Kahler is SOO lame when you are used to a Lo-Pro!

Overall, I consider Hamers #3 in my book, behind Ibanez, and Jackson USA models. You can see mine on my website. There are also several Hamer fan sites on the web, just do a search.

G.M. *
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Hamer Opnions...

G.M.
Do you say HAY-MER or HAM-ER???
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 03:04 AM

Hamer Opnions...

I've always heard it pronounced Hay-mer.
Just like Kramer.
G.M.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 03:03 PM

Hamer Opnions...

A long time ago (I always say that) the Hamer I had, don’t remember the model, was thick and heavy. It had good tone and sustain and a thin neck not unlike a Jem. That did present a problem for me though. It seems that I got a bit too frisky while grabbing the headstock and bending the neck forward in an attempt to mimic a whammy dive. That baby broke right in half.

It sounded pretty cool when it happened. I regret that I failed to swing it around my head and launch it into the audience. That would have been even cooler. :biggrin:

I must say that it was a lot like a Les Paul in tone… and almost as heavy. It was a nice thick chunk of wood on that body. Shaped like a Paul, but had a double cutaway. It Fit in my Anvil, Les Paul, road case perfectly.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 03:34 PM

Hamer Opnions...

Hey Bob, I think the model you had was a "Studio" if it was a solid body. If it was semi-hollow with an ƒ hole, it would have been an "Artist". They are both beautiful guitars.

Wish I'd have been in the audience that night, I'd have reminded you to throw it!!!

G.M.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 06:11 PM

Reviews: 5
Hamer Opnions...

I have no problem with Hamers. *I think they get treated as second tier by the same ya-hoos who disavow a certain brand simply because it's not made in the good ole US of A. *Bottom line: *I'll take a Hamer over an Epi or Gibson 9 times out of 10. *I'll take an Ibanez over the same Hamer 10 out of 10, but Hamer still makes nice guitars. *They tend to have more of a classic look to them also. *So if you're a sucker for that Les Paul look but your back and wallet can't take the strain, Hamer's are great.

PS: *I've always heard it pronounced Hay-mer
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 08:15 PM

Hamer Opnions...

G.M.- It was the solid body, so it must have been the “Studio”. If I knew then what I know now, I would have kept it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Hamer Opnions...

Bob hit the nail on the head on why I love this Hamer. The neck isn't too "baseball battish" as a Gibson. The traditional neck on the LP is too fat and the slim 60's taper neck is too small at the nut. The Hamer is just perfect, not too wide but with some gerth. The perfect combo. Sounds like this is not the guitar to do a neck bend with but then again I don't do much neck bending on my couch in the living room!...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 03:36 AM

Hamer Opnions...

The only Hamer endorsees i *can think of are Rick Neilsen, Vernon Reid, and Gary Hoey. *

Nobody asked either, but hey, just thought i'd mention it! *
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:16 PM

Hamer Opnions...

I hear it pronounced HAH-MER.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 07:22 PM

Hamer Opnions...

I have always wanted a Hamer Standard, for some reason. I'm not even a Cheap Trick fan. I also think the twin-P90 Artist Korina is one of the nicest Gibson-derived guitars I've ever seen. They're another brand like 70s and early 80s BC Rich - nobody ever talks about them, but you get much higher quality than most Gibsons of that period at a price that beats the stuffing out of a PRS.

Tags
beautiful guitar , double cutaway , flame maple , gary hoey , hamer standard , les paul , super strat , vernon reid , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode