Happy Reunion Story - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Happy Reunion Story

Hello, everyone. Some of you may remember me. I haven't been around for months due to an...interruption of my internet service.

So, here's the story. In 1991, at the age of 17 I bought a brand-new Ibanez RG550 in Laser Blue for $600. It was my first 'Real' guitar. I played the hell out of it for about 5 years, then I got married in 1996 and ended up selling it to support our concert habit. I did buy another used one a year or so later, a 550DX Laser Blue. I ended up having to sell that one as well to support our rent habit.

So about 2 months ago, I walked into a pawn shop to look at the guitars to see what they had cheap. My eye caught sight of an RG550 Laser Blue. I asked the guy if I could see it. Guess what? It was my original RG550!! I knew it was mine because I remembered every single dent and paint chip it had when I sold it. Plus, I had replaced the original knobs with the black metal dome knobs. They were still on there. They wanted $329 for it.

I talked to my dad a couple of days later, and told him that the pawn shop had my old Ibanez. He remembered it (He had surprised me by making the last payment on it and put it my EX350's guitar case before I got home from school). He asked if I had bought it, and I said I wish I had the money. I only told him about the guitar because of how funny I thought it was that I saw my guitar again after 11 years.

Well, I visited my dad about 3 weeks later and after awhile, he said he had something to show me. He returned with a gig bag and said he'd bought himself a new guitar. He let me open it, and when I unzipped the top, there was a pointy Laser Blue headstock peeping out at me!! I could not believe it! I almost cried. Then he brought out the hardshell case that came with it, and it was my old case too! I had bought that in 1990 when I had my EX350. I had colored the white Ibanez logo red. It's sorta pink now. Gotta rectify that soon... It even had the original whammy bar with it. He had gone in the day after I told him about it and bought it. He talked them down to $300 because it was in desperate need of some TLC and a setup.

When I changed the strings, I took the entire guitar apart, tremolo and all, and cleaned everything. It was a mess.

I must say, this guitar is still as awesome as it was 16 years ago, and I'll never part with it again. I was so used to the Powersound pups of my RG370, that the warmth and hotness of these (original V1,S1,V2) pickups took some getting used to.

So, anyway, that's my story. Here's some pics I took today. Sorry about the quality. Free cameras are free for a reason!

Later!

Skot

<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 08:48 PM

Re: Happy Reunion Story

Awesome story mate! Congrats! Must've been fate.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Dee

Awww. Nice one!
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 08:55 PM

Very cool!!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 09:44 PM

Very cool. Now hope you find the other one someday.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 10:08 PM

Reviews: 2

Nice story........great dad you have there
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 10:26 PM

Great story!! Welcome back!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 10:43 PM

Quite a story, I wish I could find the Goldtop I sold years and years back *sniff*. Awesome story.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 10:57 PM

Nice!
im trying to get reunited with my Rg550 Emerald Green, but the pawn shop guy wants $700! mind you, that hes had the SAME guitars in the same place for over 3 years, he knows NOTHING about guitars.....
and I sold it to him for $200

great story, don't let her go.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 11:07 PM

Awesome story man, I had a similar thing happen with my 12 string where I sold it to a guy and my mom ended up buying it back from him for me. Unfortunately the guy charged her $125 more than he paid for it and I havent touched it since I got it back, but I'm still glad to have her.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 11:59 PM

Incredible story,,,of course I can think of a couple I've had that I wish I could find again!
Looks like shes in pretty good shape for sure. Congrats!
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 12:14 AM

How cool is that!
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabu2k1 View Post
Nice!
im trying to get reunited with my Rg550 Emerald Green, but the pawn shop guy wants $700! mind you, that hes had the SAME guitars in the same place for over 3 years, he knows NOTHING about guitars.....
and I sold it to him for $200

great story, don't let her go.
Really? Where's that pawnshop located?
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 AM

^^^ That was Cold!
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 04:50 AM

Reviews: 120

That is so awesome mate, great to hear.

I've always tried to find a way to avoid selling my axes for that exact reason. I don't want to lose them. Finding them again would be way too hard. You are very lucky to have it back in your life again. Now hold on to it like there's no tomorrow!

Tags
dome knobs , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

where to buy mark tremonti the sound and the story

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode