Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Almere, Netherlands
Happy revived guitar day (HRGD) and thank you to the forum members.
After working on my guitar for the last couple of weeks here are some tiny pics of the results which I hope you will like. I want to thank this forum for the great tips people have given! It is an original 2000 RG550 EX with exchanged pickguard and electronics. I started to hate the faded purple one and as well as the tone of the V7,V8 and S1 could be improved. Furthermore all electronic crackled like crazy.
- Bought new tremolo studs.
- Changed strings to D'addario EXL111 (equal tension set).
- Filed the tremolo edges.
^ solved tuning stability issues a lot.
- Pickguard from Pickguard paradise.
- Pickups Dimarizo Air Norton, True Velvet (reverse phase) and Tone zone
- Orange drop caps 0.022 uF one as a tone control (gives a better ring to the tone as compared to ceramic) and one as the Seymour Duncan pickup mod: the cap is in between the output hots of all 3 pickups and the volume control. It will filter out the muddy bass (caused by the basswood) and makes both the Air Norton and especially the Tone Zone so much better sounding.
- Switch mod to make both humbuckers work together (with or without single coil as well).
- Boston switch which can be cleaned and is very sturdy.
- Aplha 500K pots (I tried CTS but I like alpha better, also the ohm levels were more according to specs).
- Did not place a treble bleed capacitator I like the bass tone change when rolling of volume and also compensates a bit for the capacitator addition.
- Not on photo but later still added: grounding of the miniswitch.
- Of course, volume knobs that go to 11!
All of these mods have been discussed on these forums in several threads.
Result: No more mega bass sound or crackles, great sounds and clean switching between pickups.
Sorry I need 10 posts to straight link the photos... Hence see attachments.