Hardtailed RG1570z still has tuning problems! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Hardtailed RG1570z still has tuning problems!

Hi all

I've just had my local guitar tech/luthier hardtail my RG1570z to try and increase tuning stability. He measured up a couple of small pieces of wood and then fitted them either side of the tremolo block. I then also removed the 3 locking screws from the nut and wound in the fine tuners. So in reality I now only have to tune using the tuning keys/machine heads.

I know it kind of defeats the object of having a floating tremolo but to be honest I never use the whammy bar anyway and find that I'm forever tuning it.

So anyway. Mod done the bridge/trem is now rock solid and doesn't move at all. But I still seem to be retuning after every song I play. It's driving me mad!
any ideas before I rip the wood blocks out and go back to having a floating trem?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 03:17 PM

Re: Hardtailed RG1570z still has tuning problems!

My guess is the strings are binding on the nut.
The locking nut is made to stop the strings from moving at all, and even without the locks, there's a lot of surface area for the strings to slide over when bending, vibrato, etc. so it's not likely to return to pitch due to this friction.
You still have the fine tuners on the bridge, even though it's blocked. Tune up, stretch your strings, lock the nut, fine tune with the bridge and i'll bet it'll stay nearly perfectly in tune.
Unless there's some other issue, like a loose saddle or two, loose neck, etc. but I'm leaning towards friction at the nut.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Thankyou very much for the advice ItalianPCtech!

I'll give that a go and then report back with an update.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 03:53 PM

Make sure the neck screws are tight too-
What strings are you using (9-42)?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks ItalianPCTech!

That worked perfectly. You saved me a lot of grief! Top work that man!

Hi Sebastian

I'm using D'Arddario EXP EXP110 10-43 strings. I always thought that the neck screws only had to be finger tight?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I then also removed the 3 locking screws from the nut and wound in the fine tuners. So in reality I now only have to tune using the tuning keys/machine heads.
There's your problem. The locking nut isn't really meant to work well unlocked. The strings just don't move smoothly on it like a bone or graphite nut. You'll want to set the fine tuners to the middle of their range and lock the nut, then use the fine tuners between major tunings.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks ItalianPCTech!

Hi Sebastian

I'm using D'Arddario EXP EXP110 10-43 strings. I always thought that the neck screws only had to be finger tight?
No, Snug, but not over tight
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks ItalianPCTech!

Not that it's a big deal, but check my profile. "man" doesn't exactly work for me.
Nice to meet you Gooch. Welcome to the forum. I'm Michelle, one of, if not the; only girl actively posting to the forums.
I have a habit of taking threads way off course, so, don't feel the troll. LOL
Just kidding, we have fun here. I hope you've been reading through some of the other posts, everyone is more than willing to help and, save for some rude people that are no longer here, even questions that seem stupid are answered in the nicest possible way.
"There are no dumb questions. The only time a question can be dumb is if it's not asked" - Unknown.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for your advice!

To be honest I didn't think it would matter if the locking screws weren't on the nut as most other guitar makes don't use them at all. I know better now though!

As for the tension on the locking nut screws, how tight should they be? I'm sure I read somewhere a while a go that they only need to be at finger tightness. Is this true or should they be locked on tight?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 05:12 AM

Smile Re: Hardtailed RG1570z still has tuning problems!

Quote:

To be honest I didn't think it would matter if the locking screws weren't on the nut as most other guitar makes don't use them at all. I know better now though!

As for the tension on the locking nut screws, how tight should they be? I'm sure I read somewhere a while a go that they only need to be at finger tightness. Is this true or should they be locked on tight?
As you turn the hex wrench tighter, it just stops hard with a medium amount of tension.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

That's great!

Thanks for your help Sebastian.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:

And on standard nut guitars you'll notice; the width of the nut is only about 1 to 2mm, so the string has very little contact with the nut.
Unlike the plate for the locking nut, which is several millimeters wide.
Just don't crank the pads down so tight you crush the strings. That's not needed. Just enough to hold them in place.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all

Much appreciated !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode