Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Has anyone played an Ibanez Premium model?

19K views 81 replies 35 participants last post by  meticadpa 
#1 ·
We're getting some of the Ibanez Premiums and I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to play one? If so, how are the necks? Do they feel pretty solid or pretty weak? How's the stability of the neck? Straight, good playability, etc? How are the frets? Good craftsmanship?

I don't care about the finish too much.... it's a quilted top, it'll look good. What I'm interested in is the playability.

#51 ·
I have played the new Made in Japan Charvels.... they are AMAZING, especially the "Wildcard" one (the blueish-green one with the quilted top). They're absolutely amazing, especially for the price. The ONLY thing that sucks about them is that you have to completely remove the neck to access the truss rod.

I know they did that in 1982 or whatever, but WTF.... it's 2011! That's actually one of the only reasons I won't buy a new Charvel.

#52 ·
Getting back to the original topic of these new Ibanez Premium RG920QMs, I just ordered the High Voltage Violet one from our favorite uncle Rich, and I'll post a thorough assessment in the REVIEWS section once it arrives and I've put it through it's paces.
THANKS Rich--you're the best!

#62 ·
I think these Premium RGs are pretty cool.

I noticed that they're made of American basswood. Ibanez hasn't used that since the original Jems, have they? One time I tried to research what the difference is between what is called "American" basswood and whatever type of basswood Ibanez normally uses, but I couldn't find anything.

So...American basswood...I'm interested -- why and why now?

#68 ·
I have one on order as well ~ the RG920CBE ~ they are now telling me first week of March. Just a little longer!

I have a MII RG320BK which when I first picked it up was very happy with build quality ~ it is a great reliable workhorse. I also have an RG2027VV ~ RG570(HERC) ~ USRG30 I really cant wait to see how this new guitar plays and sounds. Yes, I know pics. :)

#70 ·
the premium is start selling in Japan, some store put actual pictures of it , but so far only 870 high voltage violet.
As always, we here in indonesia will get it the latest. I predict maybe somewhere in april..
even it was made in indoesia, but there is now way we can get it faster than Japan...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.