Has anyone tried the new RG3520Z Prestige? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone tried the new RG3520Z Prestige?

I am totally in love with the looks and the featues on the new RG3520Z. Has anyone tried this axe and is it recommendable? Can it be compared to any other guitar you have tried?

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_...1&series_id=51
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Ibanez endorsed

Re: Has anyone tried the new RG3520Z Prestige?

Hey man! I wanted to tell you about my first endorsement guitar I just got in the mail the other day from Ibanez. I have ideas for my first LA Custom Shop guitar BUT due to price (serious ouch….) it will have to wait just a little. SOoooo I got a RG Prestige 3520ZHBK. I am not a neck through kinda guy otherwise I would have gone for the RGT320ZRS.

This guitar is one of the most incredibly well put together Ibanez guitars that I have ever owned. Have you ever picked up a guitar and it just felt solid? The only other Ibanez I have ever had that was like this is my 1993 JEM7VWH. The attention to detail is amazing. If you have been pondering on this guitar, take my word you will NOT be disappointed!

The only thing I will be doing is changing the fretboard. We are taking the rosewood board off and putting an ebony board on. Then I am using the Evo gold fretwire. It is a copper alloy that has been used for years in the optical industry. It contains no nickel and therefore meets the ”nickel free” European standard. It stands the test of time and will really dress up the guitar. With a Vicker’s hardness of HV5/250, it is harder than nickel/silver wire (HV5/200), but softer than the stainless (HV5/300). This wire is not plated; it is gold all the way through and retains the gold color once the frets are dressed.

On to the inlays..... an “Eye of Ra” symbol will cover the 12th and 13th frets and will be made of gold mirror. Then starting on the 24th fret going to the 1st fret (everywhere there would be a dot) you will see more and more of a scarab that is crawling out from under the fretwire until you reach the 1st fret where you see the entire scarab. The scarab inlays will be made of flamed maple wood that will match the “faux” binding around the body (where they taped the flamed maple off and stained the rest of the body).

So anyhow I just thought I would share. I was pretty excited to get my first guitar from Ibanez in the mail and everything. And HOLY COW has anyone messed with the Edge Zero trem? The thing comes with a pretty intimidating instruction manual but once you realize what it is capable of its just amazing!!! I am still working on figuring out how to set it up. Lol 

Anyhow guys keep rockin’!!

-Rikk
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 01:05 AM

Rikk, first off, YOU SUCK!!!

That guitar has been hard core GAS pains for me since I saw the limited version last year. I would have picked the same guitar, you choose well

This part isn't helping at ALL!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkbeatty View Post

This guitar is one of the most incredibly well put together Ibanez guitars that I have ever owned. Have you ever picked up a guitar and it just felt solid? The only other Ibanez I have ever had that was like this is my 1993 JEM7VWH. The attention to detail is amazing. If you have been pondering on this guitar, take my word you will NOT be disappointed!

Looking forward to hearing more words about the EZ trem as you learn it and seeing pics when you mod the fretboard. You don't have to wait to show BEFORE pics.

Big congrats!!!!

~Bones
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 01:10 AM
Vendor

The EZ and ZR setup the same way. You preload it against the ZPS bar so that when you push on the bar there is no play between the block and bar. The first movement you want to see is unison block and bar moving together. This gives you the maximum pressure to keep the unbent strings in tune [if that's what you're looking for].

Otherwise pull the bar out and use it as a regular floater.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 01:14 AM

I think I get what you're saying Rich but I hope you update your tech pages when you get around to shooting the footage. Just watch your meter count go thru the roof once these EZ's start hitting peoples hands

I don't have one .....yet

~Bones
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The EZ and ZR setup the same way. You preload it against the ZPS bar so that when you push on the bar there is no play between the block and bar. The first movement you want to see is unison block and bar moving together. This gives you the maximum pressure to keep the unbent strings in tune [if that's what you're looking for].

Otherwise pull the bar out and use it as a regular floater.
Rich, have you posted a review about the new EZ yet? If not, how do you like it compared for an Edge Pro, an Edge and a Lo-Pro Edge?

-Jaakko
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 01:34 PM

All I found so far was this blurb from the NAMM '08 pages. I'm sure he is working on the full setup and will give more thoughts and advice as he has time:

From Ibanez Rules:

New trems, of course. In Ibanez's desire to break away from the Royalty payments to FR, Prestige RG [except for the 1570 for some odd reason] will get the newly designed Edge Zero. Many of you have known about this with the 2008 leakage, but for those that don't there will be a full write up on the coming Trems page. In brief, it's a cross breed between the ZR and the EP, but in essence the baseplate is a redesign and not really EP. Yes, the Edge Zero will have OPTIONAL locking studs. In a genius-of-simplicity move the new EZ studs are through drilled so the locking set screw can be user added from the top. I could not find out if these would be included with the tool [and in fact had to verify this was the really deal after I thought I'd figured it out because nobody knew but the guitar buyer] but I can only guess they will be included as they're only 10 cent screws. Of course I asked why they couldn't include these on the EP models, but at least for now, there will not be. No worries, I'll still be putting them in everything anyway! The new EZ system also includes the new retainer bar-less locking nut where they have gotten rid of the arch typically found in a FR designed nut and have made the string base flat. Hopefully we won't find this leads to string breakage at the nut now that it has a bend point right at it's edge. Also new is the SynchroniZR which is like a vintage trem system on steroids, basically half of a ZR but single locking with locking tuners, that will be mounted on the new SV models. these can be set to block so you have down operation only, or set to full floating, but both without the Zero Point system, although it's name is ZPS_FX, Zero Point System - Fixed. The ZR also gets a slight redesign for the MIJ models by switching to a pop in bar with a redesign to the ZPS using new allows to make the system smaller and lighter, thereby removing less wood.

Hope you don't mind me posting this info Rich, PM me if if you would prefer a link instead of the quoted paragraph

~Bones
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Vendor

Never read the Hardware page?!

http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/2008/hardware.htm#EZ
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Thanks Rich, I searched for a minute and moved on to something else...ooh look, a butterfly!

I was hoping you'd lend a hand with this topic. You da man

~bones
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkbeatty View Post
Hey man! I wanted to tell you about my first endorsement guitar I just got in the mail the other day from Ibanez. I have ideas for my first LA Custom Shop guitar BUT due to price (serious ouch….) it will have to wait just a little. SOoooo I got a RG Prestige 3520ZHBK. I am not a neck through kinda guy otherwise I would have gone for the RGT320ZRS.

Sounds friggin' excellent... thanks a lot for your input! I myself have an Ibanez endorsement as well and wanted to get this beauty, and now I won't hesitate to order it :-D
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 10:46 AM

^^^You can PM Glen and get an Ibanez Endorsee tag under your screenname if you so desire

You guys must post shots when you get a chance, I'm dying to see the variety of tops.

~Bones
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 11:30 AM

I just to had to get one, I am removing the fretboard and replacing it with a flamed Maple board and center abalone dots!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 11:49 AM

Are you serious P&W?

I would prefer upper fretboard dots like the limited version but with a maple board center dots would look nice.

~Bones
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 12:17 PM

Deadly Serious I was going to go for a 20th, But having seen this model and imagining it with flamed maple freatboard! I can't wait
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 12:23 PM

Cool. Looking forward to seeing the amount of GAS atacks you start once you get the work done.

Post before and after shots. I'm dying to see some of these and even more so to get my mits on one.

~Bones

Tags
abalone dots , custom shop , custom shop guitar , ebony board , edge zero , flamed maple , ibanez guitars , locking nut , locking stud , locking studs , locking tuners , pro edge , retainer bar , rosewood board , string breakage , upper fret , vintage trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode