Has Ibanez Ever Done a Limited Run of Custom Guitars? - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 10:17 PM

I believe Rich had at least one of them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 10:40 PM

I'll take that middle RG, she's beautiful!

Anyway, Ibanez would very likely NOT do a limited run of Jems or Universes for us or anyone else because of the contract between Ibanez and Steve Vai. So, while a custom RG run for Jemsite might be a possibility, I can't see how a Jem or Universe would be possible. I haven't seen Steve's contract obviously, but they didn't even do the 333 without sending him 2 first and waiting for his approval, as he said so here himself.
So, not to dampen the party, but if a "Jemsite Ltd." is what's wanted, it would likely need to be an EMG/LGM/ATD concoction if a monkey grip and claw are must haves. A limited J Custom might be possible, they have gorgeous vines, any way. We could ask for a green stained top and piezos and the like. I think that would be pretty cool, actually. Has everyone seen those J Custom vines? I'll look for a link.

just my .02

jim
post #33 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Anyway, Ibanez would very likely NOT do a limited run of Jems or Universes for us or anyone else because of the contract between Ibanez and Steve Vai
Steve's been to this site; he liked it. Maybe he'd be amenable to this?

I'm piqued by this idea, although it may never exit the pipe dream stage. We'd have to run several polls (i.e. finish? pickguard? body wood? neck wood? UV/Jem?, etc), frankenstein all the features together into a handful of different guitars, and then see if 75 people on this board would be willing to go for it. I'm a definite MAYBE, depending on the price.

You know, at the very least the results of our "frankenstein" poll would be interesting, whether the guitars can get made or not (it's been kinda dull on here lately!). It might also have the effect of influencing Hoshino's next Jem design, when/if that happens.
post #34 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 11:48 PM

I'm interested, as long as the guitar will NOT be a Jem/UV or based on another signature model. Personally, I'd like to see an RG-"1565", or a something like an S-3040.
post #35 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 12:01 AM
Vendor

JCS, RG1 and RG2 [the RG1 is in the pink lined? LOL] They're from 91', pics still on my site
post #36 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 12:04 AM

Go to the Ibanez site, check "Japan" as your country, then "guitars" from the left side array, then "J- Custom" (almost there) then RG8670. That with the Double Edge tremolo would work for me in a pinch. In green

Is that 75 written in stone?

jim
post #37 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 08:32 AM

what about a rg2827?!
aaah!!
post #38 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Actually, I'm still trying to find out if Hoshino will do a limited run at all, let alone the number of pieces. I'll keep you posted!

Matt
post #39 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 10:04 AM

Would sure be a cool idea. G&L did a batch of 25 for theses guys...

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/AUTOREG/99GbLLE.php3#HISTRY

Now, getting this bunch to agree on something would be another story. All the best, Matt!
Greg
post #40 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 02:11 PM

mattsmusic, thanks for posting those pics, however those look like the 2001 J-customs. I think they should reintroduce something like the RG-PR series (the texas prestige guitars), those were amazing guitars
post #41 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 02:49 PM

As long as this is all up in the air /fantasy stuff anyway at the moment, would you rather have an expensive, one of a kind museum piece, or a possibly less expensive guitar to play? I know we've got both collectors and players here, so that will certainly affect the outcome if Ibanez will actuallly do something for us. So, player or keeper?
I'd go with a player myself.

jim
post #42 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 03:15 PM

IMO--I think the dynamic duo of LGM and ATD can give everyone a better custom shop (JEM/UV/other) guitar than we are likely to get from the Ibanez factory. With Jeremy and Darren, everyone gets what they want

Having said that, my vote goes with Darren and Simon--I'd love the JS7 or the Swirled DNA universe.
post #43 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 03:51 PM

Hey, Eddie... have you made any progress on getting those JS templates done?
post #44 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 06:42 PM

Reviews: 4
Why would anyone not want JEM-site to get a custom JEM? Or Uni? I'm kind of missing the point here.

As far as how high-end an item I would want, I'd say something at least equal to the 7VWH or 7VSBL, quality-wise. So I'd expect to pay $2000 or more. As to whether or not I'd be able to buy one, that's another can of worms. But I doubt Ibanez would make them if they were just RGs with a different paint job.

I like the DNA Universe idea. The UV777JDSE (Jemsite DNA Special Edition)! Sounds killer to me!!
post #45 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 11:36 PM

No one is against the idea of getting Ibanez to make a Jem or Universe for us. However, it just ain't gonna happen. Unlike almost every other Ibanez model, the Jem and Universe guitars are the legal and intellectual property of the collaboration between Steve and Ibanez. Believe his contract is bulletproof; Ibanez likely *had* to send him 2 prototypes for approval to put the $120 Jem333 on the market in Asia (it may have just been a courtesy, but probably both courtesy and contractual obligation). We'd have to get permission from both, Steve would have to get paid, and I think the likelihood of Steve giving a bunch of strangers control over his intellectual property is slim. A limited RG is much, much more likely if Jemsite decides to go through with it and we decide to go with Ibanez.
I could easily go along with the UV DNA thing though; I would love to have one. An EKG body, LGM neck, ATD swirl, we might even be able to get them with a familiar copyrighted headstock Dimarzio would certainly sell us the pickups, it could be done.
I have to be honest, I'm having fun just talking about it. With any luck, by Sunday we'll be talking about woods and inlays

jim

Tags
abalone dots , andy timmons , andy timmons model , art guitar , atd swirl , black pickguard , custom guitar , custom jem , custom shop , darren wilson , dna swirl , double edge pro , double edge trem , ebony board , ebony fingerboard , ebony fretboard , edge trem , fixed bridge , flamed maple , maple binding , monkey grip , piezo bridge , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , production model , reverse headstock , reversed headstock , rosewood board , steve vai , swamp ash , swamp ash body , texas prestige , viper neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in