Having a bad Ibanez experience - help! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Having a bad Ibanez experience - help!

Hey guys...please allow me to vent. *First let me say that I'm a big Ibanez fan, but I'm encountering a situation here that has me frustrated. *Here's the deal:

1) Back in Sept 2000 I buy a really nice red quilt RG3220 (like a 3120...special run) from a GC in Dallas. *Got it at a great price.

2) Get it home and tweak with the setup, but I find that the whammy is not staying in tune. *More tweaking...a little better. *Problem is that after a dive, it stays just a few cents flat...enough to be unacceptable...especially for an Edge trem.

I'm no pro tech, but I've had 4 other Ibanezes with Edge or Lo-Pro trems, and have always been able to get them working fine. *I've heard this described as the "mysterious whammy" problem around here several months ago...appears that I have it too.

3) Lay it aside and play my other guitars. *Finally take it back to GC at the end of January. *They send it out their local Ibanez service guy "Brent, " who after working on it, and speaking with Hoshino on the phone, can't get it right either. *So I know I'm not imagining the problem.

He tells me he's sent it back to GC, who of course did not call me and insisted that it was not there.

4) Finally CG admits they have it and agrees on Brent's recommendation that they'll send it to Hoshino. *No call from CG after over a month, so I stop by ther tonight and pick it up.

5) I get home and the first thing I notice is the fixture the whammy bar pops into is loose as hades. *Ok, I can fix that, but later. *Then I try to tune it up. *The action is high and the intonation is poor. *Even worse, the whammy problem is much worse than it was when I last saw it (by now I'm fuming now...holding back 4-letter verbs).

I think I'll try to call Hoshino tomorrow to see if it was actually sent there. *There was no paperwork was included. *I'm sure part of the problem is GC's "fine" service. *I may just have to go back there and find a manager to verabally assault...tactfully of course.

Any suggestions? *Rich, you deal with Hoshino some, don't you? *Aside from this problem, it's really a fine instrument...sounds and plays great. *Would love to get this resolved. *Well, anyway, thanks for the oppportunity to vent.
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 01:00 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Having a bad Ibanez experience

lesson #1. don't buy from Guitar Center as they have NO TECH SUPPORT and are nothing but a corporate lackey. I know that doesn't help this situation, but it will make others think twice. I can't guess what is what but i believe if you examine it as per the TECH section you can find an answer... there is one to be found. Good luck... glen
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 04:29 AM

I think this is more of a GC problem than an Ibanez problem. I don't trust anyone working on my guitars other than myself.
Make sure the trem posts are locked down (the little screw inside the studs). Make sure the barrel thingies are sturdy too, sometimes the wood will give way and the barrel thingies will become loose when the studs aren't locked down. If the studs are locked and the barrel thingies are moving, fill in the space with some epoxy.
If none of this works, you can send the guitar to Rich for a setup or you can sell it to me for $50.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 09:43 AM
rgr

You also want to pull the bridge out and look at the knife edges to make sure they are sharp. *My DBK had a similar problem and it was because the knife edges were flat so I had to file them down til they were "sharp". *Not knife or razor blade sharp, just so they come to a nice point. *This has been a much too common but inexcusable problem with Ibanez over the last few years. *

Also check to make sure the screws that hold the nut to the neck are tight.

Hope this helps,
Roger
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. *Glen, I generally don't buy from GC, but this was a unique deal...hundreds less than I would have paid otherwise, and not something I'd seen anywhere else. I just didn't expect any problems with a Lo-Pro.

I did take the unit off when I went through it a while back and checked the knife edges, they seemed perfect, especially compared to those on my s540's Edge, which look a little worn but function fine. *I also had tightened the nut screws.

Doink, I'll try the set screw. *And thanks for the generous offer, but I'd feel guilty taking your money.
Greg
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 02:40 AM

Hey gkelm I have had many problems with that same guitar center is it the one on I 30? down the street from mars( they broke my Ibanez srg1200 bass and did not tell me till I came to get it then only gave my a reduced store credit and I prepaid for some emgs they were supposes to order for me 2 months of " oh there not in yet I'll call you when they are" crap till I found out they never ordered them!!!) * I would not deal with that place any more if you can. all thug all gc are out to screw you the one in arlington is alittle nicer and more customer friendly. ( all so don't go to spear music(even wores then gc) in garland errr!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

jem7pbk - This was the GC on I-75 (North Central Exp)..the one closer to down town. *You're right...I'm probably better off just staying clear, although I wonder if ragging on a manager would get me anywhere. *Yes, the Arlington store seems better. *I've had good experience with Speir, although I have not bought a high ticket item there.
Greg
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 03:02 PM

I told off the store mangier at the other one once and all I got was "sir you have to clam down or we will have to ask you to leave"
as for Speir when the high dolor trace elliot amps first came out I spent almost $3000 on a new Trace elliot speed twin stack hand made by the trace elliot custom shop about a month later it stared acting weird I took it in they said ok they'll fix it right up a month later I went down there after not getting called back they said it was at some radio repair shop on mockingbird so I went there he said he sent it back to them a few weeks ago so they found it in the back room they were to call me and tell me what was wrong and then I could ok the work or say no they *never did when they found it they said that would be $275 I was mad and they said well it needed new tubes I said I could have retubed and biased it my self for half that and I asked what kind of tubes did they use they did not know but would not give me my amp back till I paid so I paid and about a week later the no name tubes did the same thing so this time I took it to Bill Ulser ( Eric Johnson's amp man) and he fixed it right up perfect for less then $120 he said it had bad caps and the tubes that were put in were not biased and they put in el34's instead of 6l6'swith out changing the switch to el34's and some of the tubes looked really old. Then about a month ago a friend of mine ( agents my wishes) bought a new prs custom 22 from them when he got home the 5 way went out so he took it in he told them to send it back to prs for warranty work instead they tried to fixit them self's but it did not work so when they did send it to prs. prs said that the warranty was void cause someone had tried to fix it them selfs he still is in battle over that with Spier. Arthur and that black guy with the curly hair there they will screw you so fast.

sorry every one for takeing so much space to vent my anger but when you spend that kind of money on a guitar or amp those sales people should bend over backwards to help you in any way they can. even if you buy a cheap $99 guitar the sales people should be willing to work with you to satisfy the buyer.

thanks

(Edited by jem7pbk at 4:03 pm on Mar. 29, 2001)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm...sounds aweful...sorry to hear it. *That's a big outlay of $$ to get screwed like that...not that it's justified with even a small purchase.

Well, I may have some GOOD news on my issue. *First the bad...I also notice a couple dings through the finish on the bottom edge and indentation on teh back of the neck behind the nut...just lovely. *

I called Hoshino. *The nice lady Jennifer offered for me to send it to them for a set up, and found NO record of my guitar even being sent there. *So basically the idiots at GC just kicked it around in their back roomm for 6 weeks while I thought it was getting TLC in PA.

I called GC and asked for the manager...and began to explain my plight. *He said he was new at the store for about a week and admitted that this store's service was sub-par. *He'd managed the Arlington and San Jose stores, and was there to make things better. *He promised to make me happy...I said a new guitar would do it...he said ok, maybe even an upgrade. *I'll find out tomorrow and let you know! *I'm more hopeful. *Perhaps "all GC's are not created equal"...but still exercise caution!
Greg
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 05:28 PM

I'm glade to hear that and good luck ( be sure to look over the new one they give you very carfuly) maybe they guitar centers in Dallas will change now that would be great. I don't hate all gc's They put a nice one with nice workers inside a mall here in austin I love being able to by socks and guitars *and get lunch all in the same building its was a great idea and its big unlike the ones in Dallas where all the guitars are 30 ft in the air
let us know how it turns out

(Edited by jem7pbk at 6:33 pm on Mar. 29, 2001)

(Edited by jem7pbk at 6:34 pm on Mar. 29, 2001)
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Made the swap this afternoon...picked up my new RG3120 red flame top. *Though I've seen better, its a pretty nice flame pattern...and it sets up well and functions fine! *

This was actually the one at the Dallas Guitar show in the Ibanez booth. *I'd post a pick, but my wife took the camera out of town...I'll post one in a week so you can give it a gander. *I'm relieved, and, believe it or not, quite pleased with the GC customer service I finally received. *Thanks for the moral support.
Greg
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2001, 12:40 AM

Reviews: 2

Maybe this is irrelevent, but when I bought a dinky rg-220 (not that it compares to a 3120...) at the gc in buffalo, ny, those guys were so helpful, and really cool. They did a great setup right there and were basically just on top of things. Three weeks later when I returned it ( wasn't too happy that all the finish was wearing off the trem), they were really cool, and sent my money back asap. And considering that all of the return part was handled over the phone, and through the post office, the service was really good. All for a (then) $270 item. I can see how a few really poorly run stores can damage an entire chain's rep. *And likewise, a few @$$hole employees can ruin a bussines. And NO, I'M NOT SAYING THAT NY IS BETTER THAN AYTHING IN TEXAS, CUZ I'M FROM EL PASO. I just wish the guitar stores were a little better.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2001, 01:36 AM

I have so many Gc horror stories at last year Arlington guitar show I saw a Ibanez prestige in the GC booth I like it was one of the natural one with the Ibanez inlayed in the head I think only Texas Gc's got them any way it had been damaged in shipping( a few scraps on the back) so they only wanted $1200 for it I asked to see it played it told the guy I'd take it and started to count out my money when another Gc employee ran up and pushed me out of the way and handed the guy I was in the middle of a deal with a cell phone and the guy just started to talk on the phone and totally ignored me I'm there hold the $1200 cash in my hand and they just look at me and keep talking so I said F' it and went back to my booth. alittle bit later the guy comes over and says "so do you want the guitar" I said hell no *and he was all "well why not" and so I told him off in the middle of the show. all the other dealers where on my side and getting in the middle of it yelling at the guy to then the Gc district manager came up and apologized and said he would sell it to me for $1000 and that he was sorry while he was yapping a kid walked into my booth with a pgm 90th and I bought it instead.
Another time at the Gc in Arlington *I brought in a Jackson usa soloist to trade for a Jem 777vdy they had ( a fair trade) they took the guitar into a back *room and just about dissembled it then they came back to me " where did you get this guitar?" I said I bought it a pawn shop a few months ago. they said " well lets see the reset" I got so mad and said are you accusing me of stealing it so I went to my car and got the receipt ( the whole time they still had my guitar) I took it in side and they said a 16 just does not have $1000 guitars I showed them the receipt and they where well you only paid $570 for this guitar so that's all we will give you for it then I demanded my guitar back and after they put it back together I left and called the 1800 number on the Gc catalog and talked to a very nice guy who call over to the Gc store and reamed them. and told me to go down there with $500 so I went down there and they were told to sell me the jem for $500 ( what they paid for it) they stapled the money to the receipt and it was sent to the mangers office.
I will admit that they do ( if you scream about it) fix any wrong doing but its because they don't train there employees to be nice and take care of the customer that gets GC there Bad rep. they hire every ex 80's rocker with a bad attitude.

I still buy small things form them but they will never get more then $300 from me again
and also I hope the GCs in other state are good and if they are then go there but the ones in Texas suck but now that I live in Austin where there are 28 other music shopes in town I don't have to go there any more.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2001, 05:04 PM

haha, i have too many gc stories as well, like everyone. *i've mostly dealt with the gc arlington,tx store and i've never dealt with a worse business than them. *the store manager greg is in the top three biggest jerks i've ever met in my life. *that story would take forever though. *however, if you do deal with them, ask for tommy in guitars, he's a great guy and knows his stuff. *i've heard some complaints though about speir music in garland, and i have to say i've never dealt with a better guitar store ever!! *i drive over an hour just to do business with them, they treat me like i was a king. *i've done business with almost every noteworthy guitar store in dfw and they're by far my favorite. *yes, dwayne (the black curly haired guy) will try and rip you off, but he's the only problem i've had in my 2 years of doing business with them. *hmm, uh, sorry for rambling.....
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2001, 07:26 PM

I like Zoo music in Garland the best that guy with the one arm that plays guitar is cool and they have all the weird guitars piled in there. also in alington theres a sword muisc thats ok I bought a rg there once and the old guy was very helpful. I Like Larry morgan ( not his store cause its to high priced ) but the guy himself I can talk to him all day *he was the first schecter dealer and the largest mosrite dealer ( both of which I copllect). But I say no to Spear I was so happy when at the dallas guitar show last year a nice new high dollor guitar got pushed off a table in there booth and went crashing down. its karma

Tags
amp head , clean tone , custom shop , edge trem , eric johnson , fender bassman , fender strat , fender twin , fender twin reverb , music store , power amp , sam ash , triple recto , twin reverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode