Having more than one "main guitar"... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Having more than one "main guitar"...

I own an Ibanez RG550EX that I really love playing but I am considering another guitar, a beautiful Esp 800-series Strat with a DiMarzio PAF Pro humbucker in bridge and 2 T-Bear '62 single coils in mid and neck position.

The thing is that I don't want to replace my Ibanez but rather "complement" it.
I listen to a lot of different music..
On one side I have Dream Theater, Symphony X, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and a lot in that style.
And on the other side I have Eric Johnson, Johnny Lang, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Stevie Ray Vaughan and similar artists.

For the first group of artists my Ibanez is just perfect, I love how easy it plays...
But for the second, it doesn't really cut it, I can get very good cleans but I can't get that twangy sound of a strat, neither can I get a lead sound that is as "organic" as a Strat.. Do you know what I'm talking about?
Other thing is cosmetics..when on stage in a bluesbar a Strat looks a bit better..and is more suitable for that kind of music.

Okey, so it seems like I've already made up my mind, my issue is:
Does it really work? Or do you make one of them the favorite anyway and just play one of them? .. I suppose this is individual but maybe someone can tell me about it from experience..

If you would like to see a picture of the beauty just say so and I'll post a pic..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 05:16 PM

Why limit yourself to one or two "main" guitars? Or one or two "favorites"? I've got a wall of "main" guitars. They all do what I want them to, and I've gotten to the point where I can comfortably and confidently gig with any of the guitars I own.

If it feels good in your hands and sounds good to your ears, what else matters?

For gigging purposes, I'd always recommend at least having one backup. But, I like having a wide tonal palette as well. Which is exactly why I got rid of most of my Ibanez'. I liken having had 20+ different Ibanez guitars at once to having a palette that has 20+ different shades of purple. They're all great, but I wanted more variety. More "color".

It sounds like you've definitely got two different guitars tonally, but they're still similar in that they're bolt-on necks. Add a nice mahogany-bodied set neck or neck through in there and you'd have a great trio of tools
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Great post.. Helped me get some thinking going ; )
The thing is, I only own one axe at the moment, I'm in for a second and have found a very nice deal on a very nice Esp Strat..
And I've been wondering if it would make a good complement for my current guitar. As you said, there are similarities...
The Strat body is made of Ash though, that should make some tonal difference.

Here she is:
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 06:49 PM

Ahhh...I'm sorry. I misunderstood- I thought that you already HAD the ESP! That'll teach me to read better...

I think the Strat copy would be a fine addition, and would certainly compliment the RG550EX. If you like the guitar, that's the most important thing. However- nothing sounds more like a Strat than a REAL Strat. Used USA-made Strats can be had for not much money, especially on a certain auction site.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
Ahhh...I'm sorry. I misunderstood- I thought that you already HAD the ESP! That'll teach me to read better...

I think the Strat copy would be a fine addition, and would certainly compliment the RG550EX. If you like the guitar, that's the most important thing. However- nothing sounds more like a Strat than a REAL Strat. Used USA-made Strats can be had for not much money, especially on a certain auction site.
Just a little misunderstanding. I appreciate your help =)
I think you're right, a real strat will probably twang more ; P
But I will get to try the guitar before I make the decision and I've played a lot of strats before so I know what to compare it with..
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 04:52 AM

My two main guitars are my "shouldn't even exist" 93 Japanese RG370 (has an original Edge and the old block neck joint) and a handmade Tele replica. If you were planning on a Strat as backup but were only a shred/prog player I'd say you were nuts, but if you're playing bluesier stuff you need a more authentic guitar like that ESP Strat. It's hard to explain but you'll know it when you feel it.

Carrying on vaijem's comments, an Ibanez is like purple silk boxer shorts while a Fender-style guitar is like an antique mahogany rocking chair. They're both comfortable and they both have thier uses, but you don't want to confuse the two.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 04:53 AM

And that ESP is gorgeous but if it was mine I'd replace those black knobs with white ones.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 10:33 AM

I agree with Chris...the ESP looks great, and next you'll need more of a Les Paulish guitar in the quiver. One of my favorite guitarists back in the late 70's was (is) Steve Howe...his main was an ES-175, but also used a strat, tele, LP, 345, etc. for additional tones, etc. I've been heavily into Ibanez the past few years, but gradually diversifying. There will probably always be one guitar you feel most comfortable with, but there's nothing wrong with using different guitars for different tones...I think the change in feel and playability keeps things fresh as well.
Greg
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 04:47 PM

Diversify, certainly. It's a key to keeping creative. My main guitar is an Ibanez 175, and my Jems/RGs are about to get thinned. If you have a great RG, a Strat with singles is a nice addition, though a Tele might do also if you don't need the bar. Consider a 335/345/355 when you get the chance. But don't fill your closet with identical machines, you won't play them.
Good luck,

jim
jim777 is online  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 08:43 PM

About that ESP strat:

I definetly think that it needs a different color pickguard. The black clashes real bad, if you ask me. Other than that, it's a beauty.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
But don't fill your closet with identical machines, you won't play them.
Good luck,

jim
You got that right, my various guitars have totally different woods, neck joints and pickup style/configs, not to mention feel and even looks, which helps keep things interesting for me.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie
Carrying on vaijem's comments, an Ibanez is like purple silk boxer shorts while a Fender-style guitar is like an antique mahogany rocking chair. They're both comfortable and they both have thier uses, but you don't want to confuse the two.
Excellent analogy; also very funny! My experience is that if you're disciplined to give the guitars "equal time", it should work fine. My trouble is that when I got my JEM7VSBL, I basically put my S540 on the shelf. I shouldn't have. I got used to the JEM's beefier neck, so it's kind of a struggle playing the S's paper-thin neck--among other differences...

I'd like to get a third (JEM77FP*, Peavey Wolfgang Custom Deluxe, or Jackson SL2), but I'm afraid then I'd have three permantly cased guitars (including my Ovation).

* - If I could get my hands on one. I played one the other day at a local store (the quality seems to be lacking). I realize that other than the PAF PROs, it's essentially the same as my SBL. Kind of pointless.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 07:27 AM
dex

Dude if you decide against buying that ESP can you please PM me how much it's going for.
I know a lot of people think Fender when you say strat but the ESP build strats are heaps better than any US strat IMHO.

After 15 years of close attachment to ESP and trying close to 100 ESP's I am yet to find even one that is a dud.
All of you would agree that this in so not the case with Fenders.

ilia
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willin
About that ESP strat:

I definetly think that it needs a different color pickguard. The black clashes real bad, if you ask me. Other than that, it's a beauty.
Yep. I'm thinking about White Pearl..

Thanks for all the answers. I'm going in to town today to try some guitars out, a couple of Fender Strats, so I know what the ESP is up against when I try it.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Btw, are non-fender strats capable of the classic stratsounds? :S
Is a Strat like this one like a fender with another name on the headstock or a completely different guitar with the same design?

and..do you loose a lot of the classic stratsounds by having a humbucker in bridge pos?

Classic Stratsounds: I'm thinking Eric Clapton, Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Kenny Wayne Sheppard.. All pure fenderheads.

Tags
alder strat , classic strat , custom shop , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , duncan hot rails , duncan pickups , eric clapton , eric johnson , fender strat , fender strats , ibanez guitars , joe satriani , les paul , neck joint , neck joints , neck pickup , neck position , paf pro , paf pros , peavey wolfgang , ray vaughan , richie sambora , steve howe , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , strat body , strat sound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode