Headstock design- what does everyone think? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Headstock design- what does everyone think?

IMO, the company needs to work on the headstock refinements to complement the current model enhancements...

1. Matching headstock-body finish
maybe this was strictly an exclusive feature of the Ibanez of yesteryears. it used to be the headstock finish matching the body, my RG 560 is a proof of this commitment, however, many off the shelf models today sports black headstocks as standard fittings (less selected models eg: RG 570 EX). on a budget? maybe production halt of dud models would be a more fruitful procedure...

2. Truss-rod cover
we note that the upper end models, the Prestige for instance, has the truss rod cover missing. i seriously dunno if this adds to prestigious cosmetics but it suggest production ommissions. if the absence of this feature aims to promote truss rod access, then the sensible thing to do is to remove the string retainer bar too...

3. the 'tick' insignia
i dunno how many of us here feels strongly for the 'tick'-like insignia that has been the identifying trademark of Ibanez for years. it's arguably more significant than the word 'Ibanez' itself. from a distance, this insignia provides a more positive product identification. again, high enders like the Prestige models has this insignia missing. the JEMs & UVs sports this insignia & it doesn't dent their distinguished status...

ignore this post if you think this issue is petty... sometimes i get affected by the little things in life...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 12:07 PM
EKG

I really like the headstock shape, although I would say that I do prefer a matching headstock. I also prefer to have truss rod covers. With the matching headstock and truss rod cover, the look of the guitar seems complete. As for the "tick" insignia, I like that as well. Very identifying, sort of like the NIKE "swoosh".

IMO
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 12:18 PM

1) Most of the Ibanez guitars I own DO have matching headsotcks. You get what you pay for.

2)Doesn't bother me. In fact I tend to REMOVE them (and leave 'em off) anyway on the guitars that have them. String retainer neeeds to stay for correct string angle across the nut. I haven't had any trouble adjusting the rod w/ it there. Loosen the pads, push the bar to the body and tweak away.

I also think the headstock shape itself rocks.

-bill
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 12:20 PM
Vendor

Re: Headstock design- what does everyone think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by germX
if the absence of this feature aims to promote truss rod access, then the sensible thing to do is to remove the string retainer bar too...
Try a little experiment and remove your string retainer, retune, now lock your pressure pads down. The string retainer is an integral part of the Top Lock system, the truss rod cover is not "functional" and I sure don't miss it on any model.

Prestige and J Custom models are marketed toward a little different audience than a i.e. Jem. Evidently the marketing department feels the swoosh would be counter productive to sales to this market segment, and I don't doubt their wisdom.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 02:18 PM

Cosmetically speaking, the truss rod cover looks cool IMHO. I don't know why, I'm just weird like that. I also agree that the "check-less" Ibanezes look a little odd IMHO. As for matching headstocks, they already have most of their current models with a matching headstock...if you buy a black guitar. Yes, I agree, matching headstocks are way cool.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 03:19 PM

Guess I might as well throw my opinion in here

I don't care for the truss rod cover that much, looks cheap on some guitars. As for the check mark, I like it without, looks classy to me. But honestly, I don't think i'd care either way. I spend more time practicing than I do starring at the headstoock anyway :P
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 05:01 PM

I really don't care for truss covers nor pickguards. anything plastic looks cheap IMO.

I can live with the tick thingy, though I prefer w/out it. Actually, I prefer my guitars clean of any types of labels
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
To me a matching headstock is very important. With the exception of my JS1000s I think all my Ibanez guitars feature matching/co-ordinated headstocks. It makes a guitar look more finished and less thrown together off a production line using standard parts ie the guitar looks to have been assembled with its neck rather than a neck. I am also prepared to pay more for a colour matched headstock. Currently I'll search out old second hand models rather than buy new ones to ensure they have the right "look" I believe it's especially important on higher end models and although I am fully aware that Artists are fully incontrol of their signature model I was very dissappointed when the top of the line JS series lost its colour matched headstock.

I also like the "Swoosh" as a part of the logo, but I'm less particular about that, I think only my JEM10 has it missing, and that's a special case anyway.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

cool

the headstock shape should remain in-tact. IMO, it's one of the better designed headstocks in the business, nothing quirky, just nice
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 11:37 AM

Personaly, I like the shape very well and I like the swoop thing. I think the Prestige headstocks look bad not having the swoop thing. In the latest catalog Most guitars don't come with matching headstocks. I wish they would. As for the Truss Rod cover, whatever. I took mine off. These are my two cents

James
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Re: cool

Quote:
the headstock shape should remain in-tact. IMO, it's one of the better designed headstocks in the business, nothing quirky, just nice
I agree entirely here. The actual shape of the "normal" Ibanez headstock itself as found in straight non-tilt ala JS or in the angled back style on the JEM, is a fantastic design, and miles ahead of the competition in terms of it's looks. It also keeps the strings perfectly straight going to the machineheads

It doesn't get any better than that (unless it's colour-matched )
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 02:43 PM

Nobody would ever ask, or expect, Gibson or Fender to change their signature headstock. Likewise, why should Ibanez? There's nothing wrong with the current headstock design, and it's easily identifiable. They've had the current design since the mid-80's, and I think it's modern enough to last them indefinitely.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

no... it's not about the shape.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 12:16 AM

Reviews: 5
1. as previously stated, the matching headstock deal is already present on most high end models and I like it that way. It's one more way for the buyer to delineate the best of the best.

2. I myself like the Truss Rod Cover. Especially on a guitar like the Jem7VWH, that little bit of pearloid really carries the look of the guitar up from the body.

3. I too enjoy the Tick. With that said, I don't think there's anything wrong with the company trying to create a more elegant look. I think if anything, an inlayed "swoosh" behind the Ibanez logo would look great.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 12:24 AM
site founder 0% owner

Re: Headstock design- what does everyone think?

since this wasn't locked and we're all commenting... count me in

Quote:
IMO, the company needs to work on the headstock refinements to complement the current model enhancements...

1. Matching headstock-body finish maybe this was strictly an exclusive feature of the Ibanez of yesteryears. it used to be the headstock finish matching the body, my RG 560 is a proof of this commitment, however, many off the shelf models today sports black headstocks as standard fittings (less selected models eg: RG 570 EX). on a budget? maybe production halt of dud models would be a more fruitful procedure...
i personally don't see this as an issue of importance. i'd rather get their quality control up to near 100% no-defects and better setup out of japan than worry about the color of a headstock

Quote:
2. Truss-rod cover we note that the upper end models, the Prestige for instance, has the truss rod cover missing. i seriously dunno if this adds to prestigious cosmetics but it suggest production ommissions. if the absence of this feature aims to promote truss rod access, then the sensible thing to do is to remove the string retainer bar too...
i can live without the covers entirely... just make smoother cuts in the channel so it's visually more appealing and have less gook in there with new instruments. Maybe offer "better than cheap plastic" covers like "abalone accents (mitch)" was doing.

Quote:
3. the 'tick' insignia i dunno how many of us here feels strongly for the 'tick'-like insignia that has been the identifying trademark of Ibanez for years. it's arguably more significant than the word 'Ibanez' itself. from a distance, this insignia provides a more positive product identification. again, high enders like the Prestige models has this insignia missing. the JEMs & UVs sports this insignia & it doesn't dent their distinguished status...
sometimes the tick is inappropriate. the headstock shape is more critical IMHO... glen

Tags
black headstock , custom models , headstock design , headstock shape , ibanez guitars , retainer bar , string guitars , truss cover , truss rod , truss rod cover , truss rod covers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode