Heart (520) vs. Head (550) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 328
Heart (520) vs. Head (550)

Dilemma.

I know what many of you will say but want opinions anyway.

Back in December I traded my 1997 RG520QS (the mahogany RG, Wizard I neck, original Edge trem) for a 1990 RG550 in Coral Mist Metallic.

I never fell for the 550. Sure I enjoy it and it's a slick instrument. But honestly my main reason for keeping it has to do with what everyone says about it- glory days of Ibanez, the guitar that put Ibanez on the map as an original guitar maker, rare color (only made one year), "you'll never see another one," etc. Not to mention it's worth more (but as beat up as it is, it's not worth much anyway).

So I've got the opportunity to trade back. Do I do it and get the guitar I really love and miss, or keep the 550, that I don't particularly love the sound of, and will never miss (unless of course it's worth a bunch of money someday!).

And for those of you who say "Keep the 550, you can find a 520qs down the road," I say 1) I'm broke and can't count on buying one later, and 2) I don't want A 520QS... I want THIS one!

Just seeing if anyone can change my mind!

Gaucho
gauchosilvertone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 04:44 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 347
Re: Heart (520) vs. Head (550)

Do it.
Saxopwn is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 05:14 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,953
Re: Heart (520) vs. Head (550)

what he said ^
dragsternj is offline  
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Moderator
 
elcid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: chicago
Posts: 9,592
Re: Heart (520) vs. Head (550)

Yeah man, do it. You can always find another 550 that you don't like later.
elcid is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,383
Re: Heart (520) vs. Head (550)

Trade it back.

Even if you had a mint LNG Jem 777, if you don't like it, there's no point to owning it.

Of course, you wouldn't trade that for a 520, but you get my point.

I have a 1990 RG550CMM and it's my favorite guitar. I'll never get rid of it, I just took it apart and I'm giving it the best cleaning its ever had since I bought it...

I had an 1999 RG520QSBL for 9 years or so, but sold it and bought an 2010 RG1550, I like the 1/550 line that much, even though the 520 was a great guitar in its own right.

Kind of wish I still had it, but the 1550 is beautiful and sounds great, so I don't regret getting rid of it.
MicJustMic is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 05:54 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: Heart (520) vs. Head (550)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchosilvertone View Post
Dilemma.

I know what many of you will say but want opinions anyway.

Back in December I traded my 1997 RG520QS (the mahogany RG, Wizard I neck, original Edge trem) for a 1990 RG550 in Coral Mist Metallic.

I never fell for the 550. Sure I enjoy it and it's a slick instrument. But honestly my main reason for keeping it has to do with what everyone says about it- glory days of Ibanez, the guitar that put Ibanez on the map as an original guitar maker, rare color (only made one year), "you'll never see another one," etc. Not to mention it's worth more (but as beat up as it is, it's not worth much anyway).

So I've got the opportunity to trade back. Do I do it and get the guitar I really love and miss, or keep the 550, that I don't particularly love the sound of, and will never miss (unless of course it's worth a bunch of money someday!).

And for those of you who say "Keep the 550, you can find a 520qs down the road," I say 1) I'm broke and can't count on buying one later, and 2) I don't want A 520QS... I want THIS one!

Just seeing if anyone can change my mind!

Gaucho
Dude........ Trade it. You've regretted the original trade for long enough.....

For me...It wouldn't matter if it was an LNG that I traded the 520 for. If you hate it- you hate it. Don't spend any more time playing on a guitar that doesn't work for when "Your" guitar is within your grasp!!!

I know that even I told you to keep the 550 in the past, but not if you don't like playing it......get your "baby" back!!!!
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 05:55 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: Heart (520) vs. Head (550)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic View Post
Trade it back.

Even if you had a mint LNG Jem 777, if you don't like it, there's no point to owning it.

Of course, you wouldn't trade that for a 520, but you get my point.

I have a 1990 RG550CMM and it's my favorite guitar. I'll never get rid of it, I just took it apart and I'm giving it the best cleaning its ever had since I bought it...

I had an 1999 RG520QSBL for 9 years or so, but sold it and bought an 2010 RG1550, I like the 1/550 line that much, even though the 520 was a great guitar in its own right.

Kind of wish I still had it, but the 1550 is beautiful and sounds great, so I don't regret getting rid of it.
OK....either you were watching my type....slowly, or you just ninja'd me.......LOL
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 05:56 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 789
Re: Heart (520) vs. Head (550)

The guitar chooses you.

What good is an awesome guitar on paper if you don't enjoy playing it?
ironfistx is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 05:57 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,383
Re: Heart (520) vs. Head (550)

LOL I type really quickly, but we were obviously thinking the exact same thing. (Great minds and all...)

To the OP: I wish I had some money, I'd offer to buy it from you (just saw the pics you posted when you first got it) but I've been sick, so therefor; broke.
MicJustMic is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 06:02 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,383
Re: Heart (520) vs. Head (550)

I wish there was a way to find out how many were made. It was only made in 1990 and it's 'kind of' rare, I think. I've only seen three others, (two of them on Jemsite) besides mine, and I've seen a LOT of guitars in the past 22 years.
MicJustMic is offline  
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 328
Re: Heart (520) vs. Head (550)

And THIS is why I love Jemsite.

I was sure I'd get a wall of "Keep the 550!" posts, and instead get a wall of "get the guitar you love" posts.

The only holdup now is he's over three hours away. Like a madman I drove two+ hours for the trade the first time, but I can't justify a 6 hour roundtrip right now. Luckily he's willing to hold it and is in no hurry to sell it.
gauchosilvertone is offline  
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 06:35 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: Heart (520) vs. Head (550)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchosilvertone View Post
And THIS is why I love Jemsite.

I was sure I'd get a wall of "Keep the 550!" posts, and instead get a wall of "get the guitar you love" posts.

The only holdup now is he's over three hours away. Like a madman I drove two+ hours for the trade the first time, but I can't justify a 6 hour roundtrip right now. Luckily he's willing to hold it and is in no hurry to sell it.
Will he meet you in the middle??? or you could both ship to the other....... Using USPS is pretty cheap and with as close as you two are, it would probably arrive in two or three days.
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 06:46 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cincinati Ohio
Posts: 51
Re: Heart (520) vs. Head (550)

IF I had the chance to get back any of the guitars, i so recklessly traded off or sold, I would do it in a heart beat, get your baby back, and the Zen, hope it works out brother
bomberdude is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 328
Re: Heart (520) vs. Head (550)

Don't think he's up for meeting. The onus is on me because I'm the one wanting to trade. He'd just as well keep the 520 but is willing to trade since he's a sympathetic guy and knows I'm attached to it. Plus I don't think he has a car...

I'll just have to make an excuse to go down after a while. In the meantime I've gotta take the Floyd Upgrades brass trem block out of the 550 and put the original Edge back in. That's another thing to look forward to since I haven't tried the 520 with the brass block in it yet.
gauchosilvertone is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 328
Re: Heart (520) vs. Head (550)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberdude View Post
IF I had the chance to get back any of the guitars, i so recklessly traded off or sold, I would do it in a heart beat, get your baby back, and the Zen, hope it works out brother
What do you mean, "and the Zen"?
gauchosilvertone is offline  
Reply

Tags
520 , 520qs , 550

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Splintering Heart 6fingers Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 7 12-17-2011 04:45 AM
WTB: The Heart Guitar RayRay Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 07-04-2010 10:16 PM
I'm having a little heart attack! Wis Redz of Silvanost All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 4 08-05-2005 01:48 AM
Purple Heart? Praetorian Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 5 04-13-2004 04:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome